Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

BlitztheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

“Liberal” and “leftist” are used interchangeably in the US to mean liberalism in general because for decades the US didn’t have an actual functioning left wing.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Peace to all
Because major corporations, Twitter included, tend to be ENORMOUSLY conservative. The only thing they care about is money and most of them are massive supporters of conservative politicians and parties.
Twitter enormously conservative? Such tech corporations do often hedge there bets by donations to some Republic groups on the corporate level but Silicon Valley is very left leaning, Twitter included You can find still some Republican groups pop up in there donations but generally it far from the majority. I believe, google(?) used to try to split its donations 50/50 and it wouldn’t surprise me if someone like Microsoft still did that.
@Background Pony #F298
In Europe, liberal is often a center right position. In the United States though liberal was the term for those on the left side of the spectrum. Recently, this is changing, though slow and painful, leading to such confusing things as this
The left wing of the Democratic Party has been reeling since Sen. Bernie Sanders’ collapse in the presidential primary. On Tuesday, it could finally mount a comeback.
Primaries in Kentucky and New York offer liberals significant opportunities to grow their influence in the party and chip away at the establishment’s grip.
By all accounts, progressives have the momentum in Kentucky, where Charles Booker has seized the energy around the protests over racial injustice and police brutality to make a once-unthinkable charge at party favorite Amy McGrath in the race to face Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in November. McGrath, a powerhouse fundraiser endorsed by the national party apparatus, has said she would work with President Donald Trump and doesn’t have meaningful relationships with Kentucky Democratic powerbrokers, leaving her vulnerable for a primary upset.
BlitztheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I’ve noticed social media platforms are fairly quick to ban leftwing accounts and communities (most recently, Reddit suddenly and without explanation banned /r/rojava), while they let rightwing accounts break community rules right up until it starts to become a PR issue. Hell, just look at the swarms of replies under all of Andy Ngo’s “public safety” tweets openly fantasizing about finding and killing the leftists he tweets about.
On the occasion that a site like Reddit DOES ban a rightwing community, they always seem to have to keep a leftwing community on deck to ban at the same time for the appearance of “balance.”
Despite that, folks like Zuckerberg and Dorsey (soon Musk, presumably) get hauled before Congressional Republicans time and again to be berated and accused of being biased against conservatives.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Kiryu-Chan
Heard about this but didn’t get the chance to read it at the time. This is a interesting read, though I am not sure this means exactly what a lot of people would say it means.
This effect is strongest in Canada (Liberals 43% vs Conservatives 167%) and the United Kingdom (Labour 112% vs Conservatives 176%). In both countries the Prime Ministers and members of the Government are also Members of the Parliament and are thus included in our analysis. We therefore recomputed the amplification statistics after excluding top government officials. Our findings, shown in SI Fig. S2.,remained qualitatively similar. When studying amplification at the level of individual politicians (Fig. 1C), we find that amplification varies substantially within each political party: while Tweets from some individual politicians are amplified up to 400%, for others amplification is below 0%, meaning they reach fewer users on ranked timelines than they do on chronological ones.
We repeated the comparison between major left-wing and right-wing parties, comparing the distribution of individual amplification values between parties. When studied at the individual level, a permutation test detected no statistically significant association between an individual’s party affiliation and their amplification. We see that comparing political parties on the basis of aggregate amplification of the entire party (Fig. 1A-B) or on the basis of individual amplification of their members (Fig. 1C) leads to seemingly different conclusions: while individual amplification is not associated with party membership, the aggregate group amplification may be different for each party. These findings are not contradictory, considering that different politicians may reach overlapping audiences. Even if the amplification of individual politicians is uncorrelated with their political affiliation, when we consider increases to their combined reach, group-level correlations might emerge. For a more detailed discussion please refer to SI Section 1.E.3.
Our fine-grained data also allows us to evaluate whether recommender systems amplify extreme ideologies, far-left or far-right politicians, over more moderate ones [37]. We found that in countries where far-left or far-right parties have substantial representation among elected officials (e.g. VOX in Spain, Die Linke and AfD in Germany, LFI and RN in France) the amplification of these parties is generally lower than that of moderate/centrist parties in the same country (see Fig. S1). Finally, we considered whether personalization consistently amplifies messages from governing coalition or the opposition, and found no consistent pattern across countries. For example, in the United Kingdom amplification favors the governing Conservatives, while in Canada the opposition Conservative Party of Canada is more highly amplified
Note, I am quoting from the PDF, there was significant formatting issues copy pasting parts of this and I tried to fix it as best I can but some could have still slipped past me.
Lots of interesting stuff to highlight here that would probably get lost in the argument that I would imagine play it. So, before I give my two bits on the US portions of this I think it is worth to consider that this shows a lot of wide reaching effects of there machine learning algorithm versus there old control group in the old system.
It was argued by some at the time that the algorithm was boosting tweets based on outrage. Kind of twitters MO. conservative politicians would be more likely than to be mocked/argued with and is still based on real audience interaction over some sort of artificial favoritism out of manipulation for conservative causes. Look at the graphs on page 4 for example. Notice how the Democrats in the House are much closer to Republicans in amplification then the ones in the Senate? The Democrats have far more super stars in the house and that is where the energy is while in the Senate, you may have Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, but the majority of the rest don’t have that energy, progressive or not, and a lot of them are seen by the base as old and stuffy. Most Republican Senators lack strong online followings as well for similar reasons but still certainly have tweets get attention from resist Twitter and whomever else calling them out. It does fit.
Does all the data fit that though? I don’t know. I need more information on dynamics. Especially on of the non Anglosphere countries before I can make that judgement and I am not really sure this is a silver bullet where someone can argue that wipes away all of my sides grievances with the platform. Still, thanks for the link, it was a interesting read and I hope to read through it further later when I have more time.
Experimental Setup
Below we outline this experimental setup and its inherent limitations. We then introduce a measure of algorithmic amplification in order to quantify the degree to which di erent political groups benefit from algorithmic personalization. When Twitter introduced machine learning to personalize the Home timeline in 2016, it excluded a randomly chosen control group of 1% of all global Twitter users from the new personalized Home timeline. Individuals in this control group have never experienced personalized ranked timelines. Instead their Home timeline continues to display Tweets and Retweets from accounts they follow in reverse-chronological order. The treatment group corresponds to a sample of 4% of all other accounts who experience the personalized Home timeline. However, even individuals in the treatment group do have the option to opt out of personalization (SI Section A). The experimental setup has some inherent limitations. A first limitation stems from interaction effects between individuals in the analysis [3].
In social networks, the control group can never be isolated from indirect effects of personalization as individuals in the control group encounter content shared by users in the treatment group. Therefore, although a randomized controlled experiment, our experiment does not satisfy the well-known Stable Unit Treatment Value Assumption (SUTVA) from causal inference [14]. As a consequence, it cannot provide unbiased estimates of causal quantities of interest, such as the average treatment effect (ATE). In this study, we chose to not employ intricate causal inference machinery that is often used to approximate causal quantities [17], as these would not guarantee unbiased estimates in the complex setting of
Twitter’s home timeline algorithm. Building an elaborate causal diagram of this complex system is well beyond the scope of our observational study. Instead, we present findings based on simple comparison of measurements between the treatment and control groups. Intuitively, we expect peer effects to decrease observable differences between the control and treatment groups, thus, our reported statistics likely underestimate the true causal effects of personalization.
A second limitation pertains to the fact that differences between treatment and control group were previously used by Twitter to improve the personalized ranking experience. The treatment, i.e., the ranking experience, has therefore not remained the same over time. Moreover, the changes to the treatment depend on the experiment itself.
This also could be issues with the data. Especially if their algorithm was changed around over time.
@Penguin Dragneel
It’s still a big website that can’t simply be moderated 100% all the time. The way Twitter works, I am not sure it ever could. I don’t think it is any pro-right wing bias among it’s employees, that is for sure.
without explanation banned /r/rojava
I believe it was suspected that Turkish accounts had mass reported the sub but I heard that accusation second hand.
Background Pony #F298
@doloresbridge
Someone posted earlier the campaign contribution data and Twitter leaned heavily Dem. Without seeing how the algorithm works makes me think it is based on engagement in some way. I don’t think Twitter is right biased and is intentionally boosting far right news accounts.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
“The stock market is not the economy”.
I keep seeing “worst month for stocks since WW2” and have to keep reminding people that a drop off a high is not the same as a drop off a trough.
The market is still fire, and last I checked all my holdings are still in the green, up from the last few years.
Market dropped because it’s running hot and a fed rate up is coming. In 2 months after the rates are priced in it’ll be back to all time highs. Because the market has been moving inextricably up for the better last of 60 years, always rebounding from slumps even higher.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
A few days ago, I was commenting at some thread about Russian war crimes in Ukraine. The user was talking about his Russian friends, and then he complained that in one of my posts and accused me of hating America. He said that I was not grateful over US inventions, showed me pictures of countries that his nation bombed (either as a reason why I allegedly “hated America” or as a threat), and then blocked me.
I also noticed that he had a hatred of Biden.
What is your advice regarding losers on Twitter who do stupid things like this? People like him are why I don’t trust nationalism - it makes people stupid fanatics.
People like him make me tempted to hate America more for having such a stupid mentality. It reminds me of Chinese, Indian, and Russian nationalists who accuse anyone who rejects hypernationalist idiots of hating their own countries.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Lake Powell, the second largest reservoir in the US and one of the largest in the world is drying out. Climate change and overpopulation of the surrounding areas is pushing the basin to its lowest ever point.
Threatening power and water supplies for millions, and serving as another reminder of the climate crisis.
Background Human
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@BlitztheDragon
Never mind that it doesn’t work, and we know that it doesn’t work. The rest of the GOP outperformed Trump in 2020, and Youngkin won in 2021 despite VA’s thorough disdain for TFG. If they aren’t going to run on their accomplishments (Justice Jackson if you’re nasty, the infrastructure thing, whatever else we get before November), they need to be able to call out larger problems with the GOP instead of relying on opposition to specific a-holes.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
Tbf the VA thing was a return to normalcy somewhat.
Only twice in our states history has a governor won when their party matched the presidents party.
VA has this sort of swing reactionary when it comes to power in DC. Likely because of our close proximity to it and the divide between NOVA and the rest of the state.
Background Pony #C73C
@Ciaran
We already going there i think the usa Will become a idiocratic authoritarian iliteral nany state nation or a more easy name South park the only thing missing is Eric cartman
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
It is. That’s what all these new climate change goals are for.
“Okay I know we missed the last few goals and were giga-screwed. But if we at least meet this goal by this date then we can at least downgrade our projections from giga to mega-screwed. Oh we missed that one too? Okay if we meet this goal by this date then we can at least be giga-screwed instead of tera-screwed. Oh we’re already missing that one? Okay if we meet this goal…”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide