Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Latecomer

If there was an outright ban on guns people like myself will still keep them as is our right.
It’s this stupid sense of entitlement which is a big part of the problem.
And American homicides are much worse than over here - if they’d be even worse without guns, then that’s just you admitting it’s basically a third-world country.
Background Human
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

CHS, Class of 20XX
@Vivace
And yet it was federal agents, “cops” by any reasonable definition, who finally stopped the carnage. I think there’s a hierarchy of bastardry we have to acknowledge. Local cops: utter bastards. Scum of the universe. State troopers: mostly bastards. Occasionally do the right thing by sheer dumb luck. Federales: kinda bastards. Actually kinda cool sometimes?
In one sense it’s counter-intuitive, especially after the War on Drugs, the War on Terror, and the War on Migrants. DHS should not be the least bastardly people in the room. In any room. But in another sense it makes perfect sense. Higher-profile jobs have higher standards. Less prestigious jobs get the dregs. You see the same pattern among politicians: as much as we bitch about the people in Congress, they’re nothing compared to some of the psychopaths in state and local government.
Latecomer

@YourPalContrail
Not in my opinion, no. And I dream of the day America legally amends it’s constitution to agree with me.
And the US has horrendous homicide rates compared to other first-world countries. So if guns, as some say, make people safer… then how bad would the USA be without them?
Background Pony #EC7E
If there was an outright ban on guns people like myself will still keep them as is our right.
That’s fine. Prison is an industry in the US, and I’m sure they’ll be quite pleased with the increase in business.

@YourPalContrail
According to the CDC guns are used defensively up to 3,000,000 times a year.
And that number is problematic for a number of statistical reasons.
The CDC asked 12,870 individuals about defensive gun use over the three samples.That’s a relatively large sample but note that this means that just 117 people reported a defensive gun use, i.e. ~1%. In comparison, 12,656 people (98.33%) reported no use, 11 people (0.09%) said they didn’t know and 86 people (0.67%) refused to answer. People answering surveys can be mistaken and some lie and the reasons go both ways. Some people might be unwilling to answer because a defensive gun use might have been illegal (Would these people refuse to answer?). On the other hand, mischievous responders might report a defensive gun use just because that makes them sound cool.
The deep problem, however, is not miscodings per se but that miscodings of rare events are likely to be asymmetric. Since defensive gun use is relatively uncommon under any reasonable scenario there are many more opportunities to miscode in a way that inflates defensive gun use than there are ways to miscode in a way that deflates defensive gun use.
Simply put, there is plenty of research which suggests that number should not be accepted as valid.
IWTCIEM
Duck - 100+ images under their artist tag

@YourPalContrail
In addition to the Founding Fathers considering owning guns a right, they were also wrong on the issues of women’s’ rights, slavery, homosexuality and others. The Second Amendment, people say? It’s called an Amendment for a reason. It can be repealed if enough people want to (which most Americans unfortunately don’t).
Republicans and mainstream Democrats alike need to stop holding the FF up as if they were saints who did no wrong. When the rest of the developed countries believe healthcare is a right and guns should be a privilege for the select few, they are correct, whereas the US has been on the wrong side of human history ever since it was founded.
YourPalContrail
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Wallet After Summer Sale -

high altitude cloud pone
I mean if you dont like the Kleck and Gertz study that was affirmed by the CDC how about The 2013 study by the Institute of Medicine and National Research Council which found “Defensive uses of guns by crime victims is a common occurrence, although the exact number remains disputed” and “ Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year, in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008 “
IWTCIEM

@Dustcan
That’s a good start, but even with growing numbers, US “democracy” in the 21st century has repeatedly failed the majority. A government which (sort of) allows protest but refuses to abide by the wishes of its majority is no better from one which outright bans protest. And let’s not forget the electoral college which is STILL being upheld despite people saying they want it abolished.
Another case in point: the 2018 March for Our Lives was seen by many at the time to be a turning point, but no federal gun control laws came after it. Given the trajectory of everything since I’m not sure if this movement will bring any change.
Background Pony #E0BC
@Latecomer
That’s probably a bad idea. Even if it’s been warped.
If the 2nd hypothetically fell, there’s no guarantee the non gun rights based ones don’t go next. Especially when you have power hungry maniacs in office who have proven willing to strip rights they dont care for.
IWTCIEM

@Latecomer
That’s a good point you bring up. One should also consider how unconditional free speech has enabled the proliferation of dangerous fake news and misinformation. Anti-vaccination, climate change denial and Neo-Nazism shouldn’t have any place in a civilized society, but have been allowed to roam rampant because of how lax the First Amendment is.
IWTCIEM

@Background Pony #E0BC
The only power hungry maniacs though are in the Republican Party. THEY’RE the ones who want to suppress reproductive rights, profit off racism and fearmongering, sic white supremacist police officers on POC and provide dangerous militias with weapons and ammunition to kill people like me who call them out for who they are, while at the same time praising Putin and his oligarchs. Granted the Democrats are pathetic too but in different ways, though nowhere near as bad as the Republicans.
IWTCIEM

@YourPalContrail
If the current Bill of Rights lists gun ownership as a right and healthcare, education and reproductive choices as privileges, then it’s objectively a shit document and the few sane Americans left should initiate an effort to overhaul it so that it instead follows norms set by the EU and Commonwealth of Nations.
Background Pony #E0BC
@IWTCIEM
That’s who I mean.
I’m not worried about democrats. They couldn’t wield power if the infinity gauntlet was handed to them.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide