Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy. (Politics General)

Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Not to mention the various fusion cuisines born from our “melting pot”.
Creole cooking is still the finest thing to ever happen to the food world, and while it’s a blend of styles from all across the world, it was born and bred here in the US of A.
BlitztheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Given that Democrats have no interest in actually governing? Never.
By the time the gerontocratic leadership within their party is broken, Repubs will have already finished putting their dictatorship in place.
Background Pony #1F81
I feel like some people here need to remember it’s ok to log off and take 5 for a breather or something.
BlitztheDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

You know, I wish I could. I also wish I could turn all this off and not worry about it for a few more months.
But you know something? I can’t afford to assume anything other than the worst case scenario. Outside this thread I avoid doomposting and doomscrolling for the sake of my friends’ mental health. But sometimes? Sometimes, I get in a really bleak mood, and so I reply to a rhetorical question in a very pessimistic manner.
If Biden and Friends screw this all up - if a Republican takes the governor’s mansion in my state in November - I could have a chance of being spared since I’m a white man. But I’m also autistic, openly bi, unapologetically queer in general, and very upfront about who and what I am. That’s never gonna change, and I will be a target for a lot of people who grow more emboldened by the day.
My intimate partner is transgender. They’re more terrified and cynical about America’s direction than I am, to the point they’re seriously considering emigration to Canada using their Mom’s citizenship, which will make it all the more difficult for me to be with them. And if my state’s GOP gets a trifecta and starts passing everything on their slate of “culture war” issues like they’re doing in all the other states they control? I’ll be forced to uproot myself from a community I love deeply to flee either to a solid blue state, or to another country.
There are silver linings happening in the grassroots around the country, and I’m not talking just about electoralism. Just earlier today I was marveling that we seem to be witnessing the birth of a Second Labor Movement.
But it’s still very much an open question as to whether the infrastructure we need to push back against fascism will be in place before time’s run out. And if it does? Well, peaceful transfer of power becomes impossible, and the future of many, many people including myself, my partner, my genderfluid sibling, and my close circle of friends - the majority of whom are themselves genderqueer - becomes all the more uncertain.
So, I’d love to lighten up. I’d love to not be a sourpuss and express severe doubt that the senior Democrats in this country are actually going to do anything, and win what could be the last free election the US has - at least at the federal level. But politics is literally a matter of life and death for myself and for people I care about with all my heart.
So I have to stay engaged, and I have to remain informed. And sometimes that endless parade of bad news and the malicious incompetence of the Establishment Democrats gets to me.
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
Biden has cut a deal with Moscow Mitch to nominate a noted anti-abortion candidate to a lifetime federal judge position.
Just in case you were wondering which side of the bed Biden sleeps on after recent events.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@BlitztheDragon
If fascism takes over the US there’s no hope for non-white rights unless Europe can strike early with few casualties and no nukes are launched. Either way it’s WWIII for real.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Dustcan
Maybe if he compromises harder and gives the GOP more of what they are demanding then the GOP will try working with the Democrats again.
I can’t wait until that doesn’t happen.
If fascism takes over the US there’s no hope for non-white rights
What do you think is happening today?
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
For the record the deal was so that Moscow Mitch wouldn’t hold up any of Biden’s nominations.
I cannot count how many ways this is a bad deal. You just gave Mitch another handpicked choice for a lifetime judicial appointment - while Mitch is not in a position of power - in exchange for McTurtle pinky promising:
A) To do his job when he retakes Senate Majority position
B) To not do the thing McTurtle is still openly and proudly bragging about having done
Amongst many other things, McConnell lied to steal a SCOTUS seat while Biden was VP. 4 years later McConnell lied about lying to steal another SCOTUS seat a week before Biden became President-Elect. And Sleepy Joe over here saying “Oh you silly goose, he won’t lie to me.”
Violet Rose in The Rain
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Remember when Don’t Say Gay was being passed, and Republicans tried so hard to frame it as a bill prohibiting sex-ed.
Well the law goes into effect in 2 days, and teachers are literally being ordered to scrape off rainbow safe-space stickers from their classroom doors.
We always knew what this was about, silencing LGBTQ+ people.
Vivace
Artist -

“ShimSham my GlimGlams”
I keep seeing people trying their fucking hardest to absolve Joe Biden in particular and the Democrats in general of their fucking culpability for this mess.
Good job, you successfully realized he’s not a fucking king. You know what he is, though? The commander in chief of the armed fucking forces.
So if Biden wasn’t a subhuman piece of shit or at least a senile walking corpse, if he wanted Republican votes here’s what he’d do. He’d say, okay, Senator Fuckface. I notice you have some military bases in your state, bases which are major sources of revenue, jobs, and clout that you use to keep getting yourself reelected. So if you want to keep them, then you’re going to vote to legalize abortion, because if you don’t I’m going to shut them down.
This isn’t unprecedented, either. It’s something that Obama threatened to do and which the National Defense Authorization Act empowers the president to do.
The same law also says the president could close or realign a military installation after certifying to Congress that such closure or realignment must be “implemented for reasons of national security or a military emergency.”
There you go. Use the war with Russia as a justification. Tell Senator Fuckface that you’ll move the base to Senator Shitfucker’s state, because Shitfucker agreed to play ball.
Or how about this: Joe Manchin is being a cunt, so Joe Biden gets on the phone with the Chair of the Security Exchange Commission which he appointed last year. He says, hey, Gary, isn’t it fucked up that Manchin’s daughter is price gouging people on an essential life saving drug? Maybe you could look into that for me. In fact, a lot of Manchin’s business connections are shady and might be in conflict with the law, and under the purview of the SEC to maintain a fair and functioning economy.
Or hey, maybe Uncle Joe could say, “okay, as long as you continue to obstruct me and my party’s agenda, there will be no more fucking Republican appointments as long as I’m president. Every empty chair will have a democrat ass put into it.”
Or why not lean into the fucking fact that most or all of the senators in congress are guilty of insider trading at one time or another, and Biden uses his power as executive and boss of the fucking Justice Department to say, okay, if you don’t want to play fucking ball, I’ll have the DOJ clear off its fucking schedule and tell them to make it their personal business to look into every fucking penny of your bank account, and if a single cent is out of place then I’ll have them drop the entire library of fucking congress on you.
Because that’s the sort of shit that you do when you’re serious about getting your legislation passed in the face of a hostile government. You use the power you have on whoever you have to, however you have to. You don’t just put your hands in your pockets, shrug and go “aw, shucks, the Republicans won’t let us. We don’t have the numbers. Abloo bloo bloo.” You don’t cry about the filibuster, or the parliamentarian, or whatever fucking excuse the Democrats came up with this week for why they just can’t seem to swing protecting vital rights this time, gosh darn it, oh but if you vote for us in November we’ll definitely do it then.
So shut the fuck up, libshit bootlickers. “Hurrr do you know how the supreme court works? do you know how passing laws works?” Fuck you! Do you know how fucking politics work?
Natry
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Constant Lurker
@Vivace
Abusing executive power like that to force votes would be wildly unpopular with voters, and maybe illegal. Fascism gets thrown around a lot here, but threatening federal investigation to force obedience would be a very worrying precedent.
Background Pony #EC7E
Biden has cut a deal with Moscow Mitch to nominate a noted anti-abortion candidate to a lifetime federal judge position.
Just in case you were wondering which side of the bed Biden sleeps on after recent events.
I wasn’t wondering. He already made his feelings on the matter abundantly clear.

Also, what evidence is there that this alleged deal even exists? The story seems to have only been reported in a single local paper, and the other places I’ve seen it mentioned are mainly talking about that one single report. Not to mention that, if true, it involves a court seat that apparently doesn’t even exist yet since there are no current vacancies or (from what I can tell) any future vacancies federal district courts in Kentucky.

I mean I could be wrong. Maybe it’s all true. But it definitely seems more than a little suspect.

Anyway, so long as we’re speaking about the judiciary, why no mention of Biden nominating Tamika Renee Montgomery-Reeves (one of the first black judges on Delaware’s supreme court) to one of the vacancies on the Third Circuit, a move that is expected to shift the ideological balance of the panel? At least that one has the benefit of being an actual nomination you can confirm he’s made, and not a hypothetical one that may or may not actually happen.

@Vivace
I suspect doing things politically always seems a lot easier when you’re not the one actually in charge of doing anything.
Dustcan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Dogs
Several otherwise reputable outlets (like The Hill or Rolling Stone) have already picked up the story, leading to me believing it. They all admit their source comes from the same source (Courier Journal, but that’s paywalled so I can’t see it myself) though, so unless we’ll probably see in the next few days a response from the WH on whether it is true or if there’s going to be egg on a lot of faces for not verifying themselves.
Violet Rose in The Rain

Astonishing that the establishment Democrats/Biden Administration is just like “Well, children, you didn’t vote hard enough for us last time. Was your punishment worth it? Half of my presidency exhausted doing fuckall for you while your rights get gutted? Now get in line, or it’ll be another two years.”
They’ve been utterly brazen about this—“lick my balls with all your might or you get NOTHING”—and the rest of the world just gives them a pass and calls them harm mitigation.
Background Pony #EC7E
@Dustcan
I somehow suspect that reporting on the existence of the story is a convenient way for those other outlets to both report it and have an alibi if it turns out to be entirely untrue.

And as I said, I could be wrong. Both parties make deals like this occasionally, and it could turn out to be entirely true. But with no official confirmation, a single source making the claim, and no current or pending judicial vacancies in the location the deal supposedly involves, I’m inclined to reserve judgment.

@Violet Rose in The Rain
I’m going to be honest here, I really don’t think the current administration is doing as little as you seem to think it is. Especially given the razor thin majorities involved and the extent to which the Republicans have dedicated themselves to blocking anything that remotely resembles beneficial legislation.
Ebalosus
Silver Bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -

Build commie blocks!
It’s why I’m skeptical of a blue swing in November, because not only did Roe get overturned during a democrat administration, but that the democrats are essentially telling their voter base to “shut up and take it!” For as much shit as I see libs giving republicans over this, most of the scorn appears to be for leftists who had the sheer gall to not line up and #VoteBlueNoMatterWho.
It’s why I feel they deserve to lose in both 22 and 24, because they obviously learned the wrong lessons from Biden’s victory in 2020, and will need to be taught again that “at least I’m not the other guy” isn’t an election-winning strategy.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide