The Virus Outbreak Thread

Background Pony #EBAB
So….a year of the covid calamity.
Is it too soon to say that this was preventable in any case?

@Zincy  
Preventable, not entirely. Pandemics will occur, and until medical science goes full Star Trek, will continue to occur.
Now, was the comedy of errors that led to this particular pandemic becoming progressively worse preventable? Yes, most definitely.
From the moment patient 0 was infected until this moment, the world collectively shit the bed in terms of our response.
A warning, from nature, for the next pandemic. Where we might not get so lucky.

No…………..
Kiryu-Chan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

World's Okayest User
Don’t be an ass and harass
people over a virus that has yet to surpass
the death rates of other illnesses such as
the common flu and cancer

Aaaaaand there it is. That guy’s a real piece of work

This could probably go in the Brony Cringe thread lol
RD4590
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
Don’t be an ass and harass
people over a virus that has yet to surpass
the death rates of other illnesses such as
the common flu and cancer

This is so fucking stupid I don’t even know how to respond.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
@Vivace

The irony that one of the main stickywickets in that thread was a fart fetishist. Cause he sounds like he likes to sit around and smell his own.

I swear, some of these people are just right idiots.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@lonewolf

Because Kroger is A. Managed poorly (I worked for them briefly) and B. Chesterfield isn’t filled with the brightest bulbs in VA.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
I get vaxed this coming Monday.

I shall join the ranks of the great experiment and see if this new kind of vaccine is the wave of the future.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Flutter_Lover

No idea, depends on the state. I’m getting mine because I live with someone who works at a vax clinic. They give out “end doses” at the end of the day when all the available appointments end. So as not to waste any vaccine.
MagpulPony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Fuck Russia
I’ve decided I won’t be getting any vaccine. Not any time soon at least. If I had to pick, I’d go with Moderna, but I’d rather wait and simply continue with masks and social distancing.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Background Pony #CB63

Well, while it was rushed, I wish everyone would stop quoting the “three year” figure.

Yes, normal vaccine development takes 3 to 5 years, this is true. But the reasons are manifold, and come down mostly to a lot of red tape. Development times are much shorter than those 3 to 5 years, with a lot of the process being around securing federal approval, resource allocation, and the preparation of marketing. The US system of approval is somewhat arcane, and still based on drug development schedules from before we even had computer modeling. The boards that approve new drugs are also small, and rarely “have” to move fast.

Which brings us to the second point. There is rarely any impetus to move super quick. Most drugs coming to market (especially vaccines) do so at a loss, and companies (and regulators) are under no real hurry to move mega quick.

In this instance, while it was still a little rushed, it was actually closer to what development times should be and not what they currently are.

Modern technology, with advanced computer modeling, more diverse clinical trials, easier recruiting, more global research initiatives, and decades of precident for technique makes it so much easier.
Flutter_Lover
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

#WaifuLivesMatter
I know one thing. Even if this reaches to a point where it comes into an endemic, theresni way in the deepest depths of the ninth circle of hell we’ll be wearing masks forever. That would be the most absurd kind of life I’m never going to accept.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide