The Virus Outbreak Thread

Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Wiimeiser

All disease are still contagious before you start showing symptoms. Just because a virus hasn’t spread in your body enough to start doing noticeable damage/start triggering visible immune responses doesn’t mean the virus won’t still hitch a ride on your saliva or sweat or etc.

That’s basically what “asymptomatic carrier” means.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Wiimeiser  
@Dustcan

The new trick is that some examples of the Delta variant of Covid have figured out how to survive in the airways of a human without infecting them. In other words, even a vaccinated person can be carrying this new Delta variant without themselves becoming infected. At least, that’s what my doctor spouse and our pharmacist friends and the CDC have been saying. So we’re all back to wearing masks, just because there’s no way of testing if we’re currently carriers.

Clever, clever virus.

This is what’s always so fun about “Novel viruses”. They can be unexpectedly clever in figuring out how to interface with their new host.

What doesn’t kill you evolves until it can.

Reminds me of a SciFi novel where an astronaut on an alien world gets an alien parasite that the local’s don’t even notice, but he almost dies from it because the parasite doesn’t know how to ‘coexist with its host’ without killing it when the host is a human.

After all, a virus that kills off all of its hosts dies too.
Background Pony #71A8
@Ciaran  
No wonder it defeated the previous USA president and prevented war, forcing many humans to do “work from home” with is a bless for me and many people, especially for jobs like Software Engineer, but may be curse for some other people whose job requires to do something in workplace even adapted. It restored some of the environments, slower population growth (well many humans are still breeding like rats, so COVID gotta step in), and also make us all introvert shut-ins (I am already one, but extroverts be screaming).
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Gallusposting since 2019
I’m starting to feel cold and tired, and it had been three days since I got my 2nd dose. In the earlier days, I’ve been sweating and feeling hot

My Dad answered that it’s due to my body not having enough rest, and he keeps asking me to sleep early for this trash body to build more antibodies. I really hate sleep because it takes away precious time for my work, and I have to reschedule for yet another day! Curse this body!
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
We seem to be getting a little political in here. If you’d like to talk about some of these topics, please use the Generals >> Politics thread.
HorsesandMuchMOAR
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

Gallusposting since 2019
@Ciaran

Sorry about that. I will stick to the point here, even though I was sometimes angry over the news.

BTW, I would like some help. Today I feel cold and tired, and for several days I’ve been sweating since my 2nd Pfizer jab. And my Dad is asking me to sleep early so the antibodies will fully develop.

I worry whether is there some serious effect on my body?
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@HorsesandMuchMOAR  
It’s ok, this is all so tightly entwined in politics anyway. But as much as possible we’d like to keep the “capitalist dystopia” style stuff out of here.
HorsesandMuchMOAR

Gallusposting since 2019
@Ciaran

Understood. I’ve already moved it to the politics section.

And could you help me find out about the freezing, sweating, and tired body, three days after the vaccine? People said that it’s due to the vaccine making my body produce antibodies.

Dad is asking me to sleep early so the antibodies are fully-formed.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@HorsesandMuchMOAR & @HorsesandMuchMOAR

Re: your vaccination, I got the Johnson & shot, so I only got one.

But the info that I could find on the side effects seemed to indicate that the one shot had the combined side effects of both of the other varieties of the vaccine.

For those, it sounds like the first shot isn’t much of a problem for most people, but the second shot comes with a ton of symptoms. And the Johnson & Johnson tends to hit like the second shot of the others.

So, having much stronger side effects after the second shot is ‘normal’ based on reporting (keeping in mind that pharmacovigilance is entirely dependent on people accurately reporting their symptoms, which results in an accuracy which is more like Economics than Science).

For me, I was sweating, freezing, chilled, hot, all of those things over and over for a good week after the shot. But I had “long-haul” Covid and there’s a really good chance I still had Covid when I got the vaccine, so the vaccine and the virus were fighting it out. Thankfully the vaccine won.

But, for you, your dad’s advice is actually really good. Get to bed early, rest as much as you can - treat it like you have the flu or mononucleosis. The more you rest and keep yourself hydrated and get good nutrition, the better chance your immune system has to deal with the vaccine as well as whatever else you have going on in your body … which, if you live in the US, I’m guessing includes inflammation from breathing all the smoke in the air for weeks and weeks without a break.
HorsesandMuchMOAR

Gallusposting since 2019
@Ciaran

Thank you. I was also infected by Covid on April, three months before I got my first vaccine. Luckily for me, I was still able to taste and smell, even though I read that Covid usually destroys a person’s lungs.

The “Covid destroys lungs” makes it seem scarier. Even as a portion of people managed to recover without any breathing problems, that was before the Delta variant.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Ciaran  
I mean, by comparison, last week I got the Shingles vaccine, and oh my god I thought I was going to freaking die. That vaccine is PAINFUL by ANY measure.

But, yeah, the Covid vaccines are teaching your immune system how to recognize a whole new set of ‘things that might be bad’ and that can take a lot of energy from your ‘also trying to be alive’.

Think of it like trying to run two games at the same time with one GPU. Sometimes you want to give it a break and just do one game at a time - which by laying down and just staring at the ceiling you are doing by giving your body one thing to deal with (or, you know, the usual background body stuff like digesting).

Energy is everything with stuff like this. You can do a lot at the same time, but sometimes it’s better to let one thing take center stage for awhile. And your immune system can really burn a lot of energy when it wants to.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Thank you. I was also infected by Covid on April, three months before I got my first vaccine. Luckily for me, I was still able to taste and smell, even though I read that Covid usually destroys a person’s lungs.
The “Covid destroys lungs” makes it seem scarier. Even as a portion of people managed to recover without any breathing problems, that was before the Delta variant.

Ah! Yeah, ok, then expect extra fun side effects from the vaccine. You’ve already GOT in your body some of the stuff the vaccine is supposed to be fighting, so instead of just building up your defenses it’s probably also rooting out any lingering Covid in your body at the same time. So now you’ve got THREE games running on that one GPU.

Re: the lungs, that was a big part of Covid for me. It really fucked my lungs up - I’m still taking a weird steroidal inhaler twice a day, one of those ones that can also give you a fungal infection for reasons I don’t even understand.

“Steroidal Inhaler - Benefits: it helps your lungs recover from Covid! Side-effects: it might kill you!”

It’s working though, I’m able to get back to lifting weights and working out and doing stuff again that I had to give up when my lungs were shit. When I first started working out again I could barely work with 20 lb weights again, I was really fucked up. But now I’m back to the normal weights I’d been doing before, which is more like lifting a canoe every rep. I do a lot of portage canoeing, so working with ‘what my normal pack weighs plus the weight of the canoe’ is my goal, and I’m almost there again.

Just do all the normal stuff - sleep as much as you can, lay back in a chair and read or game if you can’t sleep any more, and drink lots of fluids - like stupid amounts of fluids. Like 2 liters a day or more. And chicken soup and sprite and a week or 2 from now you’ll feel better than you have since you caught Covid.

Or, at least, that’s what happened for me.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

(Foil Hat)
The situation in Sydney has gotten so bad the military is getting involved. If GLaDOS Berejiklian gets more than 1% of the vote next NSW state election I’d be genuinely surprised.

Meanwhile, Melbourne went under lockdown for a week and experienced ~50 new cases. At this rate lockdown could be extended to 69-420 weeks. Or become a standard feature of human society for Graham’s Number years…

I personally put Δ’s Я0 at 100 billion.

@Ciaran  
Th only side effect I had with my first dose of Pfizer was a sore arm.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

(Foil Hat)
So if what I’ve heard is true, then all non-food small businesses in Melbourne have permanently closed down or gone bankrupt, with a single exception. Truly dire times. Delta is a fitting name, given Chinese mythology and culture…
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Flutter_Lover  
Assuming you are not a veterinarian and are actually yourself or have a friend or family member who has been proscribed that medication, I’m sorry for your pain.

If you are instead talking about the claims that it might inhibit replication of SARS-CoV-2 then maybe say what you are thinking instead of fishing for a response with a vague opening line?

That is to say; “Yes. What’s on your mind?”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide