The Virus Outbreak Thread

Flutter_Lover
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

#WaifuLivesMatter
@Ciaran  
I’m sorry. I’m just very uncertain and sick of this. I just had an encounter with someone who wants to steal my bike which is on a flat, thankfully they didn’t took it but it doesn’t help the fact that I recently rode on broken glass around where I live and I’m just annoyed to the very top.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@Ciaran  
I’m sorry, I may have minced some of my words and made it sound like the new strain is deadlier than it is (what I said is that it avoids antibodies, which was technically in the linked article, but it’s the ones from other strains, so I should have clarified) and I’ve been having a tiring day, too.
Zincy
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

In Vino Veritas
Fun fact, we’ve had the lightest flu season in recorded history due to masking, distancing, and hygiene polices.

These polices work, and there is the proof.
ᎶㄖҜㄩ 乃ㄥ卂匚Ҝ
One-Star Dragon Ball - For supporting the site
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Happy Derpy! - For site supporters
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Artist -

Zamasu
@Zincy  
Really? I thought it was because they we’re being counted as covid because the covid tests aren’t entirely 100% accurate…but that could just be the conspiracy theorist inside me (that I can’t seem to get rid of no matter how I try…and I am trying despite what you may think) speaking.
RD4590
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Artist -

Vortex Clipper
@Goku Black  
If flu patients are tested as COVID-19 patients in large scale then the death rate would’ve been much lower.  
The testing may not be 100% accurate but I do believe it’s higher than 99%, otherwise it wouldn’t be published and mass produced.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
A study out of India, with a UK affiliate, found that people who wear glasses regularly are less likely to catch covid if they are also following the other safety guidelines.

It’s fairly obvious why. Other than the mouth and nose, the eyes are the next easiest port of entry for the virus. And while glasses are not as safe as goggles, there is still some evidence to suggest that they block a portion of an aerosol spray. Remember, viral load is key here, even tiny amounts blocked can be the difference between infection and not.

People with glasses also tend to have an aversion to touching the glass itself, and normally only do so to clean. Meaning that the chance of touching the residue is lessened. Many kinds of glasses are also treated with antiglare films, which have been shown in the past to inhibit bacterial growth and denature viruses faster than untreated glass.

The best part, the scientists doing the study dubbed it “nerd immunity”.

Do note, it’s not a huge, huge difference. And goggles/face shields are still significantly better.
Background Pony #B962
@Zincy

Using face mask, shield and glasses, come at me COVID!

And I can confirm, I hold the glasses arm if I need to clean the glass itself. Holding or to the glass leaves a nasty fingerprint.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
I sort of disagree with how we handled the covid vax distribution, and hear me out as to why.

On the surface, it seems better to vax the old people first, as they are vulnerable and all that. But let’s dig deeper.

The older people have more limited infection vectors as their movement is often restricted. They also tend to be retired, and/or already in care facilities. So while they are physically more vulnerable, I believe it would have been more efficient to cut off potential vectors than vaxing them first.

Healthcare workers and nonmedical staff of care homes, and all public facing workers, from the highest level HR positions, to teachers, to fast food workers and clerks, to your friendly janitorial staff. That way, you’re casting a wider net and cutting off my infections than you would by selective targeting of the elders. These are people who are constantly being exposed to potential vectors.

Then there’s longhaulers. Let’s face it, and this is going to sound awful but it’s the truth, long haulers are going to put more of a strain on the medical system than old people who are in their twilight years. A 30 year old with permanent lung damage is going to be a greater burden on the system than an 80 year old who likely only has a handful of years left anyway.

Preventing more adult and middle aged long haulers is, pound for pound, higher utility.

I know this sounds harsh and maybe a little cold, but its something we have to consider. The US medical system was already teetering on the brink of failure, we have no idea the kind of strain these long haul cases are going to put on it.

20 to 50 might be less likely to die, but they are more likely to suffer long term effects from the virus, which will put pressure on the medical system, reduce their efficacy in the employment sector, and generally come at the expense of their happiness and quality of life. Like it or not, an 80-90 year old has lived a full life. A 35yro parent should be able to pick up their kids without losing their breath, and a 45yro professional shouldn’t have to reduce their career because of brain fog.

Just my opinion.
O. Hancock
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Penis
@Zincy  
Well we definitely agree on the first part- the medical professionals, teachers, first responders, and pretty much anyone else who sees many, many different people on a regular basis should’ve been, (and in many, but not all places) the ones to get the vaccine first.

But I’m not sure about the next part. I’d need to see a thorough study with good evidence that going for long-haulers has the greatest odds of helping our society, both in the present and in the future. Analysis of the costs/risks vs. the benefits, a look at how many long-haulers/potential long haulers there are or will be, and who are they, etc.

I was thinking months ago that adding anyone with potential comorbidities to the first round or 2 of vaccines was a good idea. I don’t know if doing them necessarily before the elderly is good though. I understand and appreciate your logic, don’t get me wrong, but I’m just saying a decision like that should have studies to back it up before being implemented, especially since we know how deadly this is to elderly in particular.
Registered Anon
Squirrel - Had a squirrel badge before it was cool

Drama in the comments
Looks like I’ll be able to get a vaccine by July, followed by a second dose some months later. It’ll probably be some time before the coronation is truly over but there’s a way out.
Zincy
Non-Fungible Trixie -

In Vino Veritas
@Registered Anon

Both my folks are vaxed, which is a load of my shoulders.

Mom’s a nurse manager at a VA, and my dad is a vet who works at a DoD contractor. So they got it when it first came out since they worked with the elderly/national security.
Registered Anon
Squirrel - Had a squirrel badge before it was cool

Drama in the comments
@Zincy  
Makes sense that they’d be the earliest in line. My parents know some people who already got it. I’m in a fairly low risk bracket so I’d be late in line. But where I live it should be widely available by July.

@Count Adramélekh Sear  
Okay, what the eff man?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide