Video Game General 2: Definitive/Remastered Edition

Terminal Rex

Going Indognito mode..
It’s a beautiful Sunday morning. It’s storming outside and I got nothing to do, may as well play some Vidya.

It’s a terrible game, But SCP secret laboratory is what I play to unwind. I think of it as a safari, and all the other players are the monkeys. It’s just fun to watch the chaos unfold.
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

proves my point that the game itself does not recognize scamming as an offense and requires an external power to put a stop to it. I.e, imagine an unmoderated server, free from oversight. At that point, only the ones with the Sigma Grindset who are unbound by moral constraints and are solely grinding towards the accumulation of wealth and power regardless of “right or wrong” could “WIN” the game, so to speak.

That’s because whether or not something is a scam depends on things like context, intent and consent. Like, suppose I give another player a set of full rune for nothing in return. The game can’t tell if I’m helping a friend out, or if I’ve fallen for a “free armour trimming” scam. This is because there are components of the trade that exist outside of the game’s code.

In single player video Games, it never becomes excessive and that’s by design. However in a virtual world where you’re interacting with REAL PEOPLE in a competitive setting then someone’s gain will most likely be another’s loss. IF the idea of a video game is for as many people to have an enjoyable a time as possible, then the Min-Max, Meta Player who plays to win and ruins everyone’s fun then their continual success would seem “excessive” but AGAIN, the game itself wouldn’t recognize it.

It depends on how much of a zero-sum game it is. In a game like Monopoly and Risk, the majority of your gains will be someone else’s loss.

But then you have games like Settlers of Catan. Sure, there’s competition for access to resources. Sure, there’s The Robber, knight cards and the Monopoly card. But the vast majority of each player’s gains are on separate, independent tracks.

So the real question is: from a pragmatic standpoint, how much should you care about the success of others? Catan has ways of punishing whoever’s in the lead, but you’d only care because you want to prevent other players from achieving a win condition. But if I’m playing an MMO, why should I care how rich some players are when it has zero effect on my enjoyment?

So you have a dilemma:
Do you WIN, per the game’s design and therefore, you’re actually playing the game as designed OR, do you have fun, per the developer’s intention and therefore you’re playing the game as intended.

If the game is designed well, those things shouldn’t be mutually exclusive.
Silent_Witness
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition

Chippin’ In
Cradled in what appears to be a leathery hand lies mysterious book. It is bound in human skin an intricately decorated with shrunken bones. It beckons and yearns to be possessed.  
Should you claim the Tome of Eternal Darkness?
Dustcan
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Condensed Milk - State-Approved Compensation

Dogs
@Silent_Witness

Look I’m mostly likely gonna die a gruesome death more often than not and my soul is going to be bound to the same book as I become an unwitting pawn of an oddly friendly but still shady corpse god and confronted with so many psychological horrors that I’ll definitely go insane at least once…

But dude I get magic.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Pone of Astronomy
Yeah I’ll bet, now how about the pay for my exemplary efforts?  
Don’t worry about that rookie, I made sure to send all your days wages to your job agent.  
Civvie11: “I’m never seeing that money!”
Background Pony #A94E
Learning about Mega Man lore. So, Sigma can never truly be defeated as long as he can find a new body to host?
Background Pony #A94E
I realized that I have a lot of games, but I haven’t beaten most of them. Like, it feels “wrong”, somehow, that I haven’t beaten a lot of games.
Background Pony #A94E
For all of Nintendo’s faults, at least they don’t protect and enable sexual predators like Activision-Blizzard and Ubisoft.
Thanotos Omega
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

@Background Pony #A94E  
that we know of, Nintendo is based in a country where you can get a massive verbal beat down from your parents for reporting people touching you on a train, and where cultural pressure to never step out of line or be a hindetrence to the company exists,
Thanotos Omega
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

In retrospect the sexism does help to explain the bad writing around Maiev in Frozen Throne that constantly ignores that she is the only person acting in the right in the entire night elf campaign,
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide