A Proposal To Improve The Overall Moderation Of The Booru

Background Pony #F424
It is no secret that lately the administrative capability of Deroibooru’s moderation is lacking. Apparently lacking clear lines of accountability and discipline preventing any serious change and instead reacting on reactions the staff is frozen. There has been two, maybe three staff coups and an ultimatum that so far seems to have gone no where. They have simply evaporated into a puff of air in the discourse. Therefore, I would like to make a proposal:

Pay the mods.

Now, how can we pay the mods? You might ask, and that is reasonable. Depending on who you ask Derpibooru either barely makes enough revenue to cover it’s server expenditures or only makes enough money to subsidize server expenses. So I think we can’t pull straight from the site’s empty coffers. But bare with me, I know about this. That is why I am ready to suggest:

Individual staff based Patreon pools!

Yes, that’s right. We can pay the mods ourselves if we want to. All we need is for the mods to have little PayPal’s of their own that we can put money into and support. The continued financial support will only encourage better moderation and thus improve site quality. It also represents only the most democratic means of moderation - and administrative - support for the community and the site as a whole. By giving our favorite staff members additional capital, we can help them expand on their duties and improve the site for everyone.
Wellwater
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Just a flurry of H₂O
This is an interesting idea, but there’s an unfortunate paradox. If you’re getting paid nothing at all, volunteering can be a bit of a drag but you can still justify (to yourself) spending kind of a lot of time on it. But if you’re getting paid a few hundred (or a few dozen) dollars a month for spending hours every week, or even every day, on some pretty rough stuff, you’re going to start questioning your earning priorities and look for something that pays two or three times as much, like a job at McDonald’s. There’s a lot of research on how adding financial incentives, however small, can destroy internal motivation.

So I don’t think it’s a good idea to bring money into it unless we’re sure there’d be enough to make it worthwhile.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide