Ask the Mods Important Questions (jk it's politics again)

Infrayellow
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

@Mikey  
We can only see. There’s some progress getting done in the thread over there, and the people who have dumb ideas on removing content they don’t like are typically shouted down. If the PVPP can do well, so can this.
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Ayriana
@Background Pony #5FA8  
Not at all, looking at the fact that previous attempts have been failures, and people don’t understand the experience and knowledge needed to be an efficient site coder/developer.  
As for the topic at hand, I’ve expressed my dissent against this policy change, and the previous policy change. I’m not going into it again.
Background Pony #A4E5
This is rollin’ off topic, but the very idea that there would never have been a G4 fandom without the brave, brave anonymous heroes of 4chan is absolutely ridiculous. This show is really fucking amazingly good, and it was always going to grab a huge off-market audience based on nothing else than its own inherent quality, all 4chan did was boost that fandom into being larger, earlier on, than it would have been otherwise. Giving a boost to Friendship Is Magic fandom is one of the few good things that utter shithole of a website has ever done, and I sincerely praise it for that, but it in no way what-so-feckin’-ever invented The Fandom.

And yet all I see here is you speculation. It could’ve been that big fandom elsewhere, it could’ve been big otherwise.

That doesn’t stop the facts that it DID happen this way man. You are reaching at straws super hard. The fact that you use the term brony, the fact that “love and tolerance” is a thing, the fact that it has one of the biggest KYM page, that is from 4chan. You can’t avoid that. Fucking hell, Seth is from 4chan.

Maybe it would have been as big, maybe not, maybe it would’ve been like SU, but theres a lot of great show out there, MLP isn’t alone, yet tell me how many reach thousands of pictures per week (even now) and at some points TWENTY convention per year? It’s hard to imagine that without its giant memetic status that it had in its early days.

So the fact is still happened this way, in this timeline, and the fact that you WISH it happened differently doesn’t give you the right to claim that it didn’t happen. That’s just revisionnist history and it’s really insulting to me, since the early days before february 2011 was some of the best moment I had in the whole fandom.
Background Pony #5FA8
@Infrayellow  
The people posting ““dumb ideas”” are probably from here. Derpibooru seems to be afraid of the competition. I dont get why because if this place is not going to fulfill its role as a non bias art site then someone else needs to take up the mantle.
Background Pony #FE02
@Mikey  
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”

don’t dare to wake up the yellow snake.
tiarawhy
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Made a piece of artwork loved by 1000 users
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist - tiarawhy
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

My family is a victim of communism (my grandparents died in the gulags). Communism is horrific shit, but I still didn’t think it should be banned art wise, because I understand peoples freedom of expression of it whether positive or negative. In both cases, it’s still make believe art.

I have a huge problem altogether equating drawn things to real life, and making it so things you draw suddenly become “illegal” to do.

I completely disagree with banning of aryanne like this too, its hypocrisy at its finest. Nazism is stupid shit, but I understand why some people choose to draw it.

If we’re going by banning by ideologies like this then every communist image should be purged as well, communism is inherently evil and targeted specific people/races/sexual orientation/parasitism/intelligence etc, and has killed untold millions (look up victims of communism memorial foundation).

Making fun of another booru starting up that disagrees with this slanted censorship is also very sad to do.
Derpy Whooves
Artist -
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Economist -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Looking For My Doctor
@Infrayellow  
Getting a site like this working an then keeping it working, and staffed, and creating a team that can hang together for years is a real challenge. The only advice I could give to anyone else trying to do this would be to join the Discord chat so that they can ask the developers questions about what has to be gotten working and what can be skipped so they don’t end up bikeshedding (because honest to god, so much opportunity for bikeshedding in this beast), and to look at MLP Conventions that they liked as models of how to handle staffing and to manage burnout.

I really think conventions are a good analogy for the drama, stress, and burnout that can make it hard to keep a site like this running year after year.

Beyond that, I sincerely hope they do well, and if anyone has (sincere) questions they know how to get ahold of us.

Personally, I really miss having 5 different places I could go to talk about pony. I really do. And I hope the G5 generation of fans will find a better way to do all of this.

After all, it’s their turn.

@Background Pony #5FA8  
Yeah, right - we’re afraid of competition, so we’re offering help and made both of our code bases public with daily feeds so sites can stay synced. It’s so clear now. /s
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Background Pony #CF28  
/mlpol/ is just as much an enemy to me. They do not care for a free speach space. I see them on /mlp/ all the time pretending the the fandom didn’t ship lesbian horses since the very beginning. My fear is that will start to see the slow squeeze of outside pressure and internal pressure slowly push people out with only alternatives that pop up being hellholes of crazed extremist. Though obviously I’m not accusing everyone of being a “Nazi” or crazed anti-SJW who is trying to organize. This fandom is a unique space that has elements of both and a lot of people who don’t even fit so tightly into these political categories and we need to defend it as a common space or all could be lost. I’m not against forming alternatives though, but it needs to be done with the spirit of the fandom. Not /mlpol/, not twitter but the fandom itself has a spirit that isn’t that and that’s my fear of what could be lost.

@Derpy Whooves  
I do not agree with the choice. I don’t fully trust all of y’all either. But I don’t think we have to be enemies. If this censorship comes like I fear you would be just as much of a victim as well.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
@Mikey  
Just because someone failed in the past, that means that everyone in the future will fail to? That’s not a good way to look at things…

I believe there’s three alternative sites in the works. Rainbooru is looking pretty promising. It’s a bit rough, but it’s still young and the guy working on it seems to be making great development progress.

I can’t say I have the highest hopes for the other two though, simply because they’re just reusing Derpibooru’s own software, Philomena. While Philomena is a lot more stable now than it was when it first launched, it still requires some pretty regular maintenance. If you don’t have someone deeply familiar with the software maintaining it, there’s gonna be downtime, search results are eventually gonna get fucked, etc. Since Rainbooru’s running their own software, their dev is going to be much more familiar with it, meaning they’ll be much better suited to resolve any issues that come up, etc.

But if the people going that route are willing to put in the time learning the ins and outs of Philomena, reverse engineering it to figure out what does what and how everything works, and so on, they can be successful. Philomena is probably the best booru software available, it just has a heavy technical learning curve (especially since it’s written in a comparatively obscure language)

Besides, what’s the issue with competition? If Derpibooru doesn’t want to host something and someone else is willing to host it, isn’t that a win for everyone?
Background Pony #5FA8
@doloresbridge  
The point is not to ““win”” its just to have a good place to post art where political bias is a non issue  
Also is /mlpol/ your new boogie men now? Was /mlp/ not enough? You know /mlpol/ is just a place to discuse curent politics and post cute ponies right?
Infrayellow
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -

@doloresbridge  
I hope so. I don’t want anymore safe-spaces on the internet whether they be left or right because they divide people in times where we need to be united. But as long as this new booru allows all content to be hosted along with celebrating freedom of expression, bad ideas will succumb to good ones. I want leaving derpibooru to be my last option though, and I hope they seriously consider reverting these changes.
doloresbridge
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
Question for all who are skeptical like me of these changes: would it be possible to organize in some way? Not for a split but as a constituency of concerned users. If we split up fully then we lose. Not saying we have to just use derpibooru but we need to organize and keep contact in some way. Resist changes here. Make contingencies, etc.  
full
doloresbridge
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@Background Pony #5FA8  
It is very far right leaning and I’ve seen them be hypocrits on stuff. They fequently complain about stuff that has been established in the fandom for years. Nuking this site wouldn’t help us as the media could easily turn its attention to other places too and just focus fire on our fandom.
Background Pony #E9A5
Deletion reason: Rule #6: Not a question, and not even addressing us directly
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Devolved into another politics thread