Ask the Mods Important Site Questions (V2)

Wheatley R.H.
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

with a cristal heart
hi.

I have trouble when I upload an image. When I upload it, the colors change but when I upload it to another site, the colors come out fine. Can this be fixed?
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Wheatley R.H.  
Are the colours changed in the full size version? Image previews smaller than the full size do go under some compression that may lead to colour changes, but the full size should be lossless. Do you haven an example image?
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Wheatley R.H.  
@The Smiling Pony

Hmmm … could also be a ColorProfile in the EXIF data on the image. Each site will have its own way of handling, or ignoring, that ColorProfile. Like, if your art has the Adobe RGB ColorProfile in it then it will look one way on DeviantArt but here it will be completely different because Philomena removes the EXIF data to protect privacy - there can be a lot of info in those EXIF that you don’t want to share with the world.

The way to fix this is to open the image and either remove the ColorProfile or use a web-safe ColorProfile instead, like sRGB. It’s not the biggest color space, but it will help get the same color on every device when served over the web.
Background Pony #3058
Hey staff, are we actually not allowed to upload people using Illumnious’ (as Php148) art anymore? I mean, we haven’t had anyone using Php148’s art in two months because I think he’s on the DNP list.
Background Pony #3058
Artist:php148 does not currently have a DNP so it should be allowed.

I’m not too sure if the mods will allow us to do so. I feel worried that if I submit any images with the “artist:php148” tag, it might get taken down. I feel bad the staff would say “no” about this, but we’ll see.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
I’m sorry, but Illuminous has a DNP/Takedown which is underway. Images in the artist:php148 tag are those where the artist gave others prior permission to use their art, so I’m moving this images which will not be subject to takedown to the new tag. In the next day or two, all of the images on Illuminous’s tag will be resolved, the DNP will be put into effect, and then I will talk with the artist about which tag they want used for the images with derivative copyright, or where they gave permission for their art to be used.

Basically, if there are two or more artists for the image AND there is a public statement by Illuminous granting permission for the original to be used in derivative works, then we can host it.

But if the only artist associated with the work is Illuminous, then we have to take it down.

When you upload the image (assuming you do before the DNP goes into effect) please use the Illuminous tag. The PHP148 tag is just a place holder for now for images that I’ve already done the research on.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Wheatley R.H.  
In brief, just open it in the source application, select a web friendly ColorSpace (like sRGB), or remove the ColorSpace completely, and re-save it.

How you do that depends almost entirely on what you used to create it. I mostly use PhotoShop, but it’s changed again and I can’t remember if it’s easier to do it in the Save dialogue, or if you have to go into the preferences to change it.

Whichever app you use though, searching for “ColorSpace AppName” should find the steps though.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Wheatley R.H.  
Let me know if you’d like a hand, I have been working with those for awhile - it really depends what tool you’re using.

Something you can try right away is exporting the file in a PNG format. sRGB is ‘the norm’ for PNG, so the unless you’ve modified the defaults in your app the color values are sRGB values. After exporting the file, open it in some other app - or even in your browser - and you should get a better view of what it will look like once uploaded.

And if that doesn’t do it you can send it to me and I will ‘do things to it’ until it has the look that you’re looking for, and then you’ll have a workflow for next time.

A lot of this is stuff people have to do once, and thereafter it’s just a part of their process. And happily this is just happening on the web rather than in some big print job ^_^
Wheatley R.H.

with a cristal heart
@Ciaran  
Thanks I also discovered in edit> edit colors an option that is “saturation”, and it does change the color a lot.

but i doubt if i change it in the end

if it is good that it was not in the large printers
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@byte[]  
Excellent! Thank you so much. I helped with a color model handler in a RIP so I have some idea of the math and lookups involved - maybe it’s changed, but in the 90s the math took an entire hallway of white boards to work once. Thank you so much for tackling that!
Background Pony #6A36
I know spamming the downvote button is a insurance to get banned and that stuff and that’s ok.

However, is it possible to make a massive clic on Hide button without that problem?
fyrefluker

Hello, I’m planning to download all my favorites and some other images for offline viewing (less then 30k images), and have written a script to do that. I can’t find any rules or information about rate limiting, so I want to know if any mod or site admin could give me some guidelines so that I don’t run too fast.
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #3058  
I still have a few hours of work to do setting up the DNP, but I have no reason to think that the artist will change their mind about it.

As I said before, if the only artist associated with the work is Illuminous, then we have to take it down. But if there is another artist associated with the work, please upload it and I will handle it with the rest of the remaining images.
Vulcan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Spectator mode ON
Is there any way I can change my name to just Vulcan? I mean, since there seems to be someone who made an account named Vulcan too, but seems to have no activity at all. It is possible that I could have that name somehow?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide