Ask the Mods Important Site Questions (V2)

HorsesandMuchMOAR
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Gallusposting since 2019
I’m thinking of setting up a thread where artists can share a pic and discuss with each other why are they being downvote-bombed (like poor quality, hate of characters, people angry over politics). I wanted to help other artists by suggesting ways to improve in downvote-bombed pics.
Is that a good idea?
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@HorsesandMuchMOAR
That’s not going to be a fun thread to be in. In my ongoing experience a non-trivial number of people do not react well at all when informed, even very politely and constructively, that their anatomy or proportions are wrong, the colour mixing or shading is bad, perspective is incorrect, or worst of all, their OC does not produce joy.
Some people say they’re looking for feedback or to know how to improve how their work is received, then get turbo angry when it’s pointed out what the problems might be and revert instead to “I’m being brigaded!”.
Posted Report
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@HorsesandMuchMOAR
I don’t think it’s a good idea. While there are some aspects that warrant actual discussion, I presume a thread on this would easily turn into endless crank-yanking over what people should or should not like/dislike, unaware incompetents refusing to take valid feedback, conspiracy fuel, and pity partying about how unpopular one’s preferred subjects/characters/kinks are compared to hetero smut featuring big titties.
If all downvotes are legit (i.e. not due to filterable content), there’s little to be done besides improve the art.
If it’s actually downvote-bombed, the reason may be
  • poor tagging causing it to leak past the filters of people who would have never seen it had it been comprehensively tagged
  • someone hate-shared the image
  • someone is sockpuppeting
  • and the classic, people-not-filtering-things-they-should-be-filtering.
Out of these, only tagging is something the artist/uploader can do anything about on their own.
And I do think we already have topics that cover “what can I improve about my art?” and “any tags I should add?”
/edit: And yes, as mentioned above, this sort of topic would definitely attract the types who are looking for validation instead of honest feedback, and will get very pissy if offered real feedback instead of a hugbox.
moonchosen
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@saby
Just to clarify, are you suggesting that hetero stuff is more popular than non-hetero stuff on this site? Because statistically that doesn’t seem to be the case. They’re about even.
Posted Report
Background Pony #9466
I wanted to deactivate my account and get my PII deleted so I sent an request email to ops@derpibooru.org few days ago, but I’m not getting any replies or anything. So I was wondering if I did anything wrong? or does it usually take some time to get a reply?
Posted Report
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #9466
Operations is often busy with operations, and this is a volunteer shop so depending on what else is going on your request could take some time to get to.
Alternatively, you can report yourself for a reason of “Takedown” and ask for a “PII wipe”. Odds are that will get handled in the same day.
Posted Report
FliegerFaustToP47
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).

Laß mich sterben
Uhh… Just wondering
When I post an image on a forum without using the 'large'medium' and 'small' thingies, it looks completely normal in my phone and adjusts to the screen size accordingly. But if I start using the 'large'medium' and 'small' indicators to change the image size, the image suddenly clips out of the comment on phone and I have to use the Open image in a new tab to see it
The last image this happened with is this one, not sure if the image is the faulty one.
If that’s completely normal, then sorry for bothering, I just was curious >.<’
Posted Report
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
@FliegerFaustToP47
The CSS for it looks like so:
@mixin image-alt-size($name, $size) {
  @media (min-width: $size) {
    img[alt=#{$name}] {
      max-height: $size !important;
      max-width: $size !important;
    }
  }
}

@include image-alt-size(tiny, $image_tiny_size);
@include image-alt-size(small, $image_small_size);
@include image-alt-size(medium, $image_medium_size);
@include image-alt-size(large, $image_large_size);
Posted Report
JP
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
Can I report a spammer in advance, before they make their edit, and change an innocuous-looking post into a spam post?
I know they’re a spammer. In a thread that attracts nothing but spammers, there’s a brand-new day-old account posting something vague. And in a day or two, they edit their post to contain spam links. It has happened to every poster in the thread besides OP. Why would a new account (that hasn’t done anything else) post in a thread that has been dormant for six months, if it wasn’t a spammer?
Posted Report
Background Pony #699F
@Princess Celestia
Can confirm FliegerFaustToP47’s issue by using Chrome device emulation, see screenshot. The rule as it is now checks for a viewport width at least as wide as the intended image width limit; however, this ignores the space consumed by padding, post avatars, etc. and it overrides the other rule that sets max-width to 100%. Changing the img max-width to be min(100%, $size) ought to fix things. You probably don’t even need a media query at that point.
Also, that’s not CSS.
Posted Report
Background Pony #699F
Is there a rate and amount of posting - reasonably-tagged, non-anonymous posts which one would be able to filter with a modest amount of site knowledge - which is too much, and becomes considered flooding or otherwise unwanted?
(Edit for clarity: when they’re all of one general category, like screencaps, or the back archive of an artist with prodigious works, etc.)
Ciaran
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #699F
I remember someone once saying “We are using computers for this, so the faster images are uploaded, the sooner they are available for others.”
So, just speaking for myself, floods of images really only become a problem when they start making the site hard to use for others, for example if it makes it impossible for other artists to get their fair share of time on the front page.
Or, worse yet - if the flood causes people to get a bad impression of an artist - not because of their work, but only because it seems like they are being “spammed” or someone is trying to “force a meme”.
In practice, what this kind of means is do a dozen images at a time, and space them out.
For most people, 25 images saturates the front page. So a dozen images per batch leaves some room for other artists on the home page.
And, when those images age to the second page, more images in a group generally seem to be ok.
If you are automating this, an image every 30 minutes to an hour might be the sweet spot. You could also see what the average time on the front page is by watching the statistics. For example, in the last 24 hours there have been approximately 26 “default pages” of images loaded, about one “page” of images an hour.
So - if you wanted to space the uploads so that only one or two of the images were on each page, that would be one image uploaded every half hour. And I don’t think anyone would consider that a “spam”.
If you’re doing it manually, uploads of 10 or 12 images per group twice a day should be no problem at all.
So, for myself at least, it’s less about any hard technological limit, or rule, and more about making sure the works are well received and any drama around the artist being “spammed” can be avoided, and making sure that other artists also get their shot at the front page.
And, from a “We are using computers for this” point of view, all of them in one bunch also works. But that might result in some downvoting and drama against the artist, just because people are annoyed seeing pages of the same artist for as long as the upload lasts, and other artists getting washed away from the front page in a flood.
It’s too bad we don’t have an “Upload it yesterday” API for programmatically dumping stuff into the database on the second or 10th page first, or something like that. Bu every time I’ve ever talked with anyone else about it, we kept thinking of easy ways to exploit that, and no easy ways to prevent those exploits.
So .. go for it, I can’t wait to see what you upload :)
And if I notice people start reporting the uploads as spam or something like that, I’ll let you know so you can tweak how you’re uploading them
Wiimeiser
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(Foil Hat)
So, just speaking for myself, floods of images really only become a problem when they start making the site hard to use for others, for example if it makes it impossible for other artists to get their fair share of time on the front page.
Or, worse yet - if the flood causes people to get a bad impression of an artist - not because of their work, but only because it seems like they are being “spammed” or someone is trying to “force a meme”.
I vaguely remember someone spamming Blackjack vectors at one stage. The first 52-76 images were all “stock vectors” of Blackjack.
Posted Report
Background Pony #699F
@Ciaran
Good to know, but I was asking primarily from the perspective of “when should I report it as an actual problem vs. would just get told to filter it if I did” (though the perspective of planned uploading is also useful.)
Posted Report
Ciaran

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@Background Pony #699F
It really depends what it is, and how many images we are talking about. The best thing is to just report it if you think it’s a problem.
I mean, we had people complaining about “G5 spam” because the new episodes hit Netflix. That was obviously responded to with a simple “Please Filter G5”
By contrast, when people started uploading everything coming out of ThisPonyDoesNoteExist, we asked the uploaders to dial it back. WAY back.
But if you’re uploading “the back archive of an artist with prodigious works”, please by all means carry on … so long as it’s not creating hate for the artist because the site is beginning to look like a fansite just for that one artist.
@Wiimeiser
Huh. I don’t remember that. Might have been before me, or during one of my “just not here for a long time” vacations.
Posted Report
--
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

*blorp*
Hey, what’s the deal with newer uploads’ file sizes being so small? I’m seeing new images in excess of 1000x1000 pixels with sizes under 200 kilobytes.
Not that I’m complaining. Just curious.
Posted Report
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@–
Ah. PNGs save space well when there are few colours (like anything show-like), and that example doesn’t have that many (no shading gradients and the like).
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide