Downvotes / Hiding Survey

Yume3413

Upvotes and downvotes should stay and should not be punishable for doing so. It is the opinion of the majority. I don’t know why mass downvoting is an issue, and hiding should be for individual gain and shouldn’t effect the public’s view.
shutter

@TexasUberAlles  
I personally will consider positivity and negativity to be equal, as there are certain tags that users generally favor over others, even in content made with very little effort, especially memes, which is why we hide such content by default now.

@Prof.NightJack  
>A rule  
The problem with rules is that you have to enforce them. If you could make the site functionality easy to the point where it comes without directions, you hardly need a moderation team to do anything at all. Although you could argue that you’d be substituting a moderation team with a developer team, and I would consider that a valid point. The site’s team does a pretty good job at finding that balance - better than most other communities I’ve followed.
Background Pony #39E0
I use Derpibooru because of the freedom it affords to those who use the site, and the control it gives us to view the site’s content in whatever way we wish. The way the voting system is handled now is the best I’ve seen. And I’ll admit, it’s not perfect, and can be abused, but that’s the price of a free system. Everyone is allowed to use it as they wish, even if it’s not to the overall benefit of the site.

I like the idea of a hide feature and feel it gives an extra dimension to the freedom we’re provided by the current system. See an image that you find repulsive, beyond a simple downvote or comment, and there’s no related tag you can hide without hiding a large amount of genuinely good or personally-pleasing images? Just hide the image itself. In fact, the feature already existed, but was so convoluted and hidden from public view that barely anyone used it.

My preferred system? Keep everything the way it is, but make individual image hiding as visible as upvoting and downvoting. It doesn’t affect the score sum, you get no more notifications from the hidden image, and it makes it so the image effectively doesn’t even exist. It doesn’t change personal filters and the images are in their own little list you can look at, should you make a mistake or if your feelings on an image change. You don’t even have to keep the number of people hiding an image visible. It’s simply another way for us to control the content we see.
Background Pony #A0C6
Personally I think we should get rid of downvotes, get rid of upvotes, and get rid of being able to comment on somebody’s post altogether.

I’m just here for the art. I’m not interested in the opinions of others–especially if it leads to unnecessary and unwanted drama wars in the comment section.
Background Pony #B8A0
My 2 cents after taking the survey: let the system exist as it does now, but add the hide button. The downvotes should affect the sum score, and hides should not have an affect on the score.

Brigading and multiple accounts should not be allowed, but downvotes are useful for at-a-glance criticism, especially when dealing with image sets that have slight edits. If you tie downvotes to mandatory comments then I suspect there will be an influx of single word comments serving no purpose but to troll or disrupt discussion.

Leaning toward not letting artists disable downvote counts on their art because it would encourage users to find another way to display their contempt.
Prof.NightJack
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Gizmonics Scientist
@Nonymous  
Some people need to learn that plane text is very bad for getting sarcasm across.  
That’s why some people do things like put it in italics or end with /s to note it.

You didn’t so it’s going to be read as being serious by some.
Rain1234

Anatomically correct
@Shirani  
becose its a metter of opinion then, some dislike oc, but if theres oc, in a really good art you won’t downvote it, but some do and the downvote is more to disvpose of junk (like my art that is worse then sm paint)
Fanthrose
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

-Keep things the way they are  
-Add the hide feature  
-Downvotes DO affect the rating  
-Artists CAN NOT disable downvotes. I mean, seriously? Why is this even under consideration? Are there really artists on this site so insecure that they just can’t stand the fact that some people on this site don’t like their art?  
-For the love of god don’t have downvoting connected to commenting. All that’ll do is fill the comments full of cancer and spam.
TPARRF6

You have a favorite list to mark pics as faves so it makes sense to have the other end with a hide button and its own list to access in case of the need to UN-hide which has basically been suggested a few times now. For those who don’t like down-voting a setting or a search that only goes by image’s up votes. For those who are going down the line down-voting a bunch of images for the sake of down-voting a limit on the number of down-votes and up-votes per day could curve that and I know its been said they don’t want to do something like that but its a less extreme option than attempting to remove the down vote option altogether
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations

Should downvoting an image automatically trigger a hide of the image as well?
Yes, downvoting an image should automatically hide the image for the user
No, downvoting an image and hiding an image should be separate actions

I clicked “No” on this question. But if it would be optional, so that you can switch it on/off in your settings, I would support this.

Also, is hiding an image only in your current filter? Or would I still be able to see my hides if I switch to Everything, or any other setting for that matter. Both have it’s advantages/disadvantages in my opinion.
Prof.NightJack
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Gizmonics Scientist
-Artists CAN NOT disable downvotes. I mean, seriously? Why is this even under consideration? Are there really artists on this site who just can’t stand the fact that some people on this site don’t like their art?

I’ve said how I have a problem with downvotes from how annoyed I am by some that get a few downvotes and start crying how they are hated, so ya, there are some that can’t stand the fact they get a downvote.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: bye