Downvotes / Hiding Survey

ÄrkÿNóîd
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Question stuff and enjoy
@Cosoca

Hmmm good question. Well one point of downvotes as well as upvotes and the calculated score of both gives search parameters. I guess that’s one thing that they work together in concert to do that I can think of.

IE. a separate search parameter from upvotes alone. Thereby making 3 vote based search parameters with upvotes, downvotes, and calculated score.

So I guess they are useful as search tools at least.
Ferrotter
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

But you show me how I can distinguish “I don’t like this because your line work is jagged” from “lulz I downvoted you” or “you suck because I think you traced my boyfriend’s picture!!!1!!one!11!” or “I don’t like your subject matter but can’t be bothered to filter it or act like a grown-up and pass over it” or “how dare you ship my waifu with your OC!” Unless you actually type a comment, “I don’t like this because your line work is jagged,” you’ve said nothing. How do you even distinguish, “I’m mad because this troll image rustled my jimmies!” from “This isn’t even a decent troll image; OP totally missed the mark.”?
That was never the point of the rating system to begin with. It’s a rule of the thumb way to measure the average popularity of a picture among the user base. As long as every user only voted once, the system worked exactly as intended. Complaining about not knowing every single voter’s motivation is meaningless, the system was never meant to tell you that, and if you can’t live without knowing for sure, put a critique request in the commentary and you’re guaranteed to get a response from a significant portion the voters (people like to express their opinions). Demanding to know WHY a person downvoted before you consider their opinion valid (and stacking other hurdles in the way of downvoting), but never giving the heaps of upvotes a second thought, is fairly disingenuous, by the way.

Wrong. That is exactly the point of the rating system. It is supposed to recommend work based on its quality, not on the particularities of taste of the douchebags who don’t like the subject matter. Nor on how many bored, edgy teenagers were sent home from school with a case of pubic lice on the day the picture was posted, and had fun downvoting things. Only the genuine opinions on rating the image actually have value in an system about rating the image.
Stoopedhooy
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

Sad Confused Artist.
@Joey

When will the survey end?  
And it is really interesting for me if participants here are the most loud ones or they are just expressing majority opinion.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
@Cryosite  
Removing DNP is never gonna be an option. We don’t like it much when someone requests to go DNP either, but ultimately, it is their artwork, and if they do not wish for it to be on this website, then we respect those wishes.

If you have concerns about the site’s moderation or policies, please direct them to either myself or TSP. We’re both pretty easy to get ahold of (PM, Email, IRC, etc). Generally I handle the bulk of ban/deletion appeals, and if someone/something’s being over-moderated, I’ll resolve it fairly.
Princess-Twilight

I’m disappointed that there was no option to remove the DNP

I’m sorry some artists want restrictions over their art being posted here?  
Also, deleting comments that say “this image is shit” is not tyrannical comment moderation.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
@blackamor  
He needs to stop doing that and filter the tag instead. If we catch him doing that, it’s an instant ban and all downvotes wiped.
Клавинова Димитров
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Soviet pianist
I agree with the downvote removal, there’s people who don’t have maturity to use the downvote right for what it was intended for, instead of giving a feedback to the artist to let it know there was something lacking on the art, and adding some constructive comments (something like happened to me), it would be nice, but lately there’s few people creating multiple accounts just to spam art pieces with downvotes just because they don’t like the artist personally, so there’s two options I might give to consider:

1. Removing the downvote button  
  2. Leaving it, BUT as a condition I think the user must leave a feedback to the artist about why they don’t like the pic.

Since this is one of the biggest artwork galleries from the fandom, I think it should be used in a responsable way, not just to put your personal problems into it
Клавинова Димитров
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

Soviet pianist
@Stooped_hooy  
Not sure, I mean, the downvote should have a justification, not just because the most irrelevant reasons tho

I mean, if there’s a missing tag, you can add it? There’s no big deal, I mean, I have ONLY downvoted to some grotesque and really cruel pics, which also are often in a bad quality, then I can totally say “I don’t like that”
xbi
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Da Magicks! - Merited Fine Arts badge with only their own art
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

I use downvote statistics in search queries and learning reception of my art, to learn what users like and what don’t.

I suggest the following:  
  1. use only upvotes for default scoring. This prevents problems that mass downvoting affects artits and watchers

2. Make number of downvotes not so visible in the interface. At least not so contrast red number, maybe inside post, not in thumb.

3. keep old scoring as alternative for sorting and for filters (non-default)

So users still can express their dislikes, filters based on negative scores still works, mods and researches and artists can still research what people dislike, and it makes mass downwotes useless - it does not harm most of people and artists. Mass downvoting is still harmful, but far-far less.
Ferrotter
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@xbi  
I like this. Very sensible.

@★Dark Star  
Yes, everyone on this site has had personal experience with douchebags downvoting things because they don’t like the subject matter (many of them admitting as much in this thread), and with juvenile, bored edgelords thinking it’s cool to downvote pictures at random just to screw with the tags. Among many other things that have nothing to do with whether a picture is good or bad. Why is that at all surprising that I’ve seen it too?

@Stooped_hooy  
A “bad” image upvoted a lot only means (maybe) that some people appreciated it. Art is not defined by “it took me x many hours to do” or “the vagina is anatomically correct for a horse.” There are art styles that are realistic, even photorealistic, others that are impressionistic, some that are simplistic. Collage is an art style, as is sculpture, and photography. Painting is not more art than pencil or charcoal, nor is electronic art less. Art is about a shorthand transmission of emotion through the senses. A beautiful picture is not more art than a horrible one. One I can clop to is not better or worse than one I can show at work. It’s all about the emotion the artist seems to be going for, and how well it succeeds at conveying that.

If the artist is going for disgust, then a disgusting picture is quality art, a pretty picture is lousy art, and a really nauseating picture is wonderful art. If the artist is going for humor, especially insult comedy, then a really simplistic and deliberately poor picture may well be a wonderful attempt at it. If a lot of people get that intent, and find it funny enough to upvote, it’s good art, it’s successful at conveying the artist’s intent. So a lousy picture may sometimes be upvoted legitimately because it’s not lousy art.

And yes, sometimes edgelords will upvote shit for lulz in addition to downvoting nice things. But while that also screws with the tags and tells the artist and community nothing useful, at least that doesn’t have the double whammy of also flinging poo at the artist for no good reason.
Final boss
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) -

Javelin thrower
Ive seen downvotes on every good image, I have a feeling this is like youtube where people just run around and do nothing but downvote or dislike.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Ah, this old topic. I wasn’t even a moderator yet when Wingbeat first took a crack at the problem.  
Here’s what I think after this being in the back of my mind for a few years and having to debate it at-length again:

So, basically, yes, it’s okay to not like things, but don’t be a dick about it. Now, downvotes aren’t inherently dickish, are they? No, they’re just ambiguous. A downvote can mean anything from “I dislike the style” to “I hope you die” to “I don’t like Sonic” to “The anatomy is bad”; a downvote is kind of like saying “It sucks.” in a comment and nothing more.  
We don’t allow comments like that, because the ambiguity and negativity make some people mad. …but we made a button called downvote that does the exact same thing. I think that was a mistake.  
We can (mostly) sort out bad comments done out of spite from others. Doing the same for votes requires we look at a lot of information that isn’t shown to others (which means that people can’t even easily report it to us).

Anyways, fixing mistakes is unfortunately hard.  
I think the best fix that is realistic is to require a reasoning to downvotes in the form of an associated comment. I think it’s better for upvotes too, and the survey doesn’t cover that, but maybe that isn’t really required.
Gone With
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

In No Man's Land
@Klavinova  
You are aware not all criticism is constructive, some critics are harsher than others and some would fall into what is known as “asshole” territory here.

Some critics will only point out your flaws, finding going over what’s good to be unnecessary, as what’s good doesn’t need improvement so why mention it? Other than sugar coating their words it provides nothing.

But you see, the issue here is with your final line, we cannot have a responsible fan-art site for as long as the fandom is so batshit paranoid about negativity. Constructive or not, criticism is commonly met with the artist whining their eyes out or a mob of fans coming to defend said artist or even subject. Before we tackle “how people might use the little red down-arrow meanly!!1!1” we need to focus, as a whole, and getting the fandom to accept negativity better. I would much rather have an “If you see someone you disagree with in the comments, you may start a discussion, but don’t turn it into a shitshow. Period. (Doesn’t matter if they like it or not)” rule much more than a vague as fuck “Be nice” rule for a “Rule 0” of an art site. Of course, there would be things like “Don’t post a dozen comments on one image about how much you hate it (unless it’s in discussion with other users on the image.)” As well, just to keep things balanced.

When I can watch the fandom collectively shit itself because a fanfic didn’t use “insert popular ship here” and instead used “other ship here.” No matter the fanfic’s actual quality, they flip out because it’s something different.

But back to criticism, let’s say I’m reviewing Darkest Dungeon, in front of Red Hook themselves. What’s the point in mentioning how good the art style is, or the themes of the human psyche, (unless asked my thoughts) when it’s blatantly evident that they’re done well? Should I sugar-coat it with a bunch of praise before going on about how bullshit The Collector’s add-spawns are? No. I would spend more time on what they did wrong as that’s where they need improvement.

Now that’s not to say that mentioning good things is necessarily bad or shouldn’t be done. But we’ve got this idea in our heads (the fandom) that “Constructive Criticism” means sucking the artist’s dick for two hours, telling them how good it is, before telling them what they did wrong for thirty seconds.

I’m not a talkative person, I’m not even that friendly of a person. That doesn’t mean I’m rude, cruel or generally impolite, I’m quite polite when out in public and even when people come over, I’m just “aloof” if you will, but I will speak my mind and I will speak it truthfully and bluntly. So, in turn, this leads me in between a rock and a hard spot because yes, sometimes my comments can be as blatant as “What the fuck is this?” Other times it can be as verbose and long as this forum post. And when I do criticize, I will focus more on their shortcomings, not to be mean, not to be cruel or try to demotivate them from making further work, but because that’s where they need improvement. For example: “Well I really like the colours, especially the shades of purple used, and the composition is wonderful. But the linework is choppy which leads to unfortunate things like [a good dozen or so lines explaining where to improve.]” Now I could be really sweet with it, but more often than not I’m going to be blunt about it, I might slip a joke in there every so often for the sake of lightening the mood, especially if I’m approaching a sensitive topic soon.

Now there are also times in which I will go hog-wild on someone, usually this is when I see something that goes from “Just badly made” to “Absolutely disgusting” material, for writing references, think of something like that Clockwork creepypasta from a while back. One of the quickest ways to piss me off is to use a serious topic half-assedly, hence why “Rape” is a spoilered tag of mine. Most MLP art doesn’t use the topic tactfully in my eyes.

However my style of criticism is seen as “mean” to most people because I focus on the negative. But I ask you and everyone here this: What is the point of criticism? To help an artist improve. And how can we properly criticize something if the slightest bit of negativity is treated like the apocalypse?

In conclusion and back to the original topic, I think the fandom would appreciate it more if I simply clicked a little arrow rather than going into blunt detail about what I think the piece did wrong, even if I’m pointing these things in the hope that the artist will listen and try to improve. Or even worse have someone get to that meter of “Fuck ’em” and have me unload my entire, bitter mind onto them. I dunno I think the score going 1 number lower would be appreciated far more.

TL;DR: The fandom needs a maturity check on dealing with negativity before we worry about the effects of someone clicking on a little red arrow.
Durabiznik

Only if you consider positivity and negativity to carry equal weight, and both the community in general and the moderation team here are pretty clear in their expression that positivity is something they want to actively encourage over negativity.

I find it frankly bizarre that we’re seriously discussing ways to skew a neutral rating system (that is already seeing an overwhelming use of the upvote in favor of the downvote) to prevent “expressions of negativity.” It’s like I died and woke up in some kind of nightmarish postmodern social experiment.

The most grotesque moment so far was when Ferrotter spoke his mind that “[downvotes are] basically a license to violate rule 0.”

@Ferrotter  
Wrong. That is exactly the point of the rating system.

No. A +1/-1 system with every user being allowed to vote can never, ever be the kind of system you’re making it out to be, unless you plan on becoming God and policing the thoughts of every voter to weed out anyone who doesn’t meet your subjective criteria for “judging art for its quality instead of being a cranky-wanky meanie-weenie and flinging feces all around you because you’re an evil person who hates fun.”
Stoopedhooy
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Sad Confused Artist.
@Ferrotter

Well, you obviously missed some artists if you are talking about “styles”.  
And I haven’t said “bad”, I’ve said “low-quality”. Like shitty lines, crooked limbs, blurry shadows, one pose for everything, etc.  
It’s another side of the question - when upvotes are not objective at all.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag horse
@★Dark Star  
My experience so far in this thread has been that the people saying “downvotes are completely useless, get rid of them” have invariably either a) read nothing of the thread or any of the threads prior, or b) inadvertently confessed to or demonstrated exactly the sorts of behavior we’re trying to mitigate.

I don’t like stereotyping, but it’s awfully hard not to pick up on a pattern like that.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: bye