Downvoting/hiding feedback

marenoodles
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The response has been majorly negative, so logically you should completely revert the changes and go back to the old system. The community is overwhelmingly against this change; if you guys actually do care at all about the users, and not just the artists, listen to what we truly want, instead of letting us choose from solutions that you(the staff) put forward.

Keep in mind that statistically, people are more likely to comment when they have a strong negative reaction vs. when they have a strong positive reaction. There might be plenty of people who have been silent but approve of the changes. This is why I think a poll would do some good.
Background Pony #5D4E
As an artist, please revert things back to how they were.

The downvotes provided feedback on how relatively good my art was, while in most cases, upvote counts don’t indicate much but the time of day. Furthermore, now shitposts have higher scores than most of my art; the image on the left of the below used to have a score of -180; now it’s +45.

There is no longer any gauge of relative quality. >>186436, a shitpost that used to be the most downvoted thing on the site, now has a score of +172, obviously much better than anything I’ve made.

Eliminating the downvote option neuters the voting system as a whole; the site is now useless for artists when it comes to feedback.
Sollace
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

I am the night!
I’ll just copy my idea over here from the other thread:

@Sollace  
I had an idea:
Why not, instead of removing downvotes entirely, change the system so they’re less exploitable? What I mean is reduce the effects that downvoting seems to have. So don’t display the number of downvotes an image has, but present the score as a percentage or ratio of upvotes to downvotes?
That way you get the advantage of being able to see the balance of people who like it versus people who don’t, whilst also making minimising the impact individual votes can have on an image’s standing (thus hopefully discouraging this ‘I hate it, I’mma downvote’ mentality)
HildixAppears
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I like the addition of the hide button, but not in place of the downvote. Personally, I searched quite a bit by negative scoring because there’s a lot of entertainment to be found in the worst of the worst, but all the scores are just kind of really strange now. Plus, as an artist, I feel this kind of tallymark-type upvote/downvote system is really nice - I can easily see the like/dislike ratio.
InLucidReverie
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Pretty Horse
I mentioned this in the other thread, but I would recommend a hidden downvote setup, where they do not affect score, but total can be filtered for.

Percentage up/down (visible only after so many votes) would also be a better way of doing things, i think. That way downvotes have meaning. I would make the score include downvotes as a positive total though- keep the rating and the total separate.

The above also opens up an opportunity for a new ‘top score’ style page; one for images with a score below 150, but a rating between 90 and 40%- it would grant unknown artists significantly more exposure. The turnover for that page would be constant and interesting as new images are added and ones that many have seen vanish into the ether.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

This is a box.
To be honest, I like the third one. There will always be people who are abusing features. You as staff can only try your best to minimize those groups. But you shouldn’t take away features because of that, disliking something should be something people can show. And I am saying this as an artist who has suffered the effects of downvotes before.  
It’s just a side effect of allowing diversity.
JosieTranello
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

It's A Trap!
@Lefty643

This is a feedback thread, not a march/walk/protest thread demanding to reverse change thinking it is as simple as that. Just because there is a negative response, it does not mean it is not best for the site.

Change doesn’t just happen overnight; like they said, they began discussing this since June 2015.
Background Pony Number 17

I don’t think the downvote system was being abused as much as the mods claim. If people were mass-downvoting all of an artist’s work or all of a given theme, that’s still valid criticism. For example, there are pics of some OCs that I routinely downvote simply because I think they’re offensive. Just telling me to hide them is no answer; I want people to KNOW that some folks find these characters offensive.

Hiding should be a last resort on a booru. The whole point of the booru is to bring people together to share images and opinions on them. If everyone just hides what they disagree with, then there’s no longer a community, just individuals browsing for what they personally like.
Backgroundpony
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I think the thrid method is the way to go, because I believe that it necessary for people to see the negative reactions to their doings. And it also is better than the reddit style because even if they get overwhelming negative votes they can see at least the 5 or 6 people that still like their work.

Give the people the hide button will not affect the artist but gives the viewer more options to avoid stuff they dislike.
Crimson_Demon_Megumin
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Walk the path.
@Marx

Take a look at the original announcement thread. Very few comments have been in favor of this at all. This thread is split, but the original was vastly against this change.

@marenoodles

This is true, but if one doesn’t make their voice heard then their input does not matter. One actually has to speak up to have an impact on something.
Background Pony #413B
The previous system was better than the Reddit-style scoring. For “regular” pics where the votes were unbiased, the score was a trustworthy representation on how many people liked/disliked it. And for some specific pics, the upvotes counter was the only relevant information to the artist. Most scat pics had a negative score, I guess every scat artist out there knew that for their pics, the only relevant information were the upvotes. But that’s something that affected just a tiny fraction of the images on the site.

Likewise, showing hide counts would still be incomplete. As seen in >>1493940, shitposts that used to have negative score now have higher scores than old art. With the new system, bad pics that have a number of upvotes just because they’re newer and the site has more users will always be on top of those old pics. It was hard to find a pic with a score of 21 with the old system, but it’s impossible to find it now that there are shitposts with twice the score. The old art is literally buried now.

If the main problem were the multiple votes, the score should be disabled entirely on those “controversial” pics. For example, if a pic is tagged “drama”, the score is set to 0, or to some other value, or the downvotes are removed (although similarly a controversial pic could be massively upvoted with multiple accounts, so I don’t really see the point here). It’s something that doesn’t affect the rest of the pics, make the change for those pics alone.  
And if the problem were the fetishes pics and the people downvoting them instead of hiding them, I think that the artists should learn to ignore those downvotes. I’m sorry I’m being too blunt, but I think that it’s kind of hypocritical to say “if you don’t like a pic, ignore it”, but the artist doesn’t need to be mature enough to ignore downvotes. I’d find it cruel to ask kids for that maturity, but if someone draws, say, abuse, it’s a bit ridiculous the hidden subtext “I can do this that you hate, but you can’t say that you don’t like it.” It’s not really a good solution, but it’s worth mentioning that YouTube lets disable the score on your videos, if an artist really doesn’t want to receive feedback, letting them have a fixed 0 score could be an option.
JosieTranello
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

It's A Trap!
@Rod Hungwell

The only reason I see as to why it is such a large outburst is because it was enacted without advanced notice. A ton of people were going to dislike this change either way, but the failure to give notice is what intensified the disdain.

Outside of that, I hardly see how this can be considered a blow up. It’s a typical reaction the site admins were expecting.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop