Downvoting/hiding feedback

marenoodles
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Okay, based on what I read, I think this would be my favorite solution:

Reddit-style scoring with both percentage and total number of votes visible to all users.
A separate hide button.
A Negative Feedback button that replaces the downvote button, and possibly the report button. When pressed, users are prompted to provide a multiple-choice answer for their feedback, with a clear explanation of what each choice means. (See Overwatch’s new report system for an example.) Multiple answers can be selected at one time. Choices could include “I dislike the theme”, “offensive content”, “low quality (please specify)”, “breaks rule #x”, etc. Some answers will decrease the score, some answers will report the post, and some answers will do neither. (The site moderators will decide which answers do what.) The feedback would be visible to all users.

Not only will this make users consider why they’re decreasing the score to hopefully discourage them from doing so for a reason unintended by the moderators, it will also provide artists with constructive feedback on their posts in way that’s much more organized than comments are.
Maddness
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

No matter the eventually outcome I’d highly recommend keeping a hide option, as others have said sometimes you really can come across a picture you want to hide but can’t filter without potentially filtering ones that you do want to see.

As far as downvoting goes I actually quite like option 1 but that seems to be the least popular option as a fair number feel an aggregated score is worthless compared to seeing up and down votes.

As a curious outsider looking in: Why is that?

I have seen a few posters say that downvotes encourage them to look at what might be wrong with their artwork and improve on it (some going so far as to say that this helps more than comments saying what the poster disliked).

That sounds fair but at the same time I find it unlikely that any of those posting to that effect would really believe that their art cannot be improved on if there are no downvotes on it, whether due to not being visible or really having none.

So how does it work, is a certain threshold being hit the incentive, one that you wouldn’t be able to establish without seeing the downvotes? Or is it more that downvotes are a better gauge of the community reaction than a simple score?

As I said before, genuinely curious.
Ranch
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
A Really Classy Artist - 250+ images under their artist tag
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Dragonball Girlfriends
Man this place is wild and crazy.

@neutralgrey

Thats true. But you can’t force people to leave a comment. The only way that would happen is if the upvote/downvote was removed completely and the only option left to communicate likes and dislikes was in the comment section.
Alcor
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
Magnificence - Artist with 100+ Safe/Suggestive images with over 100 upvotes, and 5+ Questionable/Explicit images with over 350 upvotes
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Lady's Wink -
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes

I’m not sure if it’s still relevant, but I’m against downvotes. Even just as a viewer, I often encountered situations where it’s hard to find commonly disliked themes/fetishes among just low-quality pictures, because a decently made unpopular picture with +100 and -90 will have the same score as a badly made normal picture with +10, making the score irrelevant for the search. I think people using downvotes as a ‘I don’t like this theme’ statement is wrong.
sum1-Else
Artist -

fuzz
maybe make it a slight bit of a hassle to downvote but make using a hide button really easy? i don’t know. i do know that the hide button in addition to our regular setup isn’t going to discourage downvoting in place of hiding what they don’t want to see much more than the past hiding system has. it’d be convenient to have, but it wouldn’t really do anything close to what it set out to do.

the show hide count option doesn’t sound too terrible an idea to me.

i’m not really a fan of the option where you show the difference in upvote/downvote without showing the amount of upvotes/downvotes.  
a negative score turns from most people don’t like it to -> no one likes it.  
i imagine i’d find that pretty discouraging really.
Binkyt11
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.

Sleep isn't real.
I’m just thinking of Arif. I just hope they he’ll be okay. At this point not even about the DV function but for all the post people have been making with his OC and Art. Seriously. Look at the post’s under the day downvote died

Arif’s pretty chill but I highly doubt he would appreciate these…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: boop