Explanation of update to Rule #0 for consistency and clarity especially in regards to racism

Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #AB73  
“Transparency” means showing people what’s going on, not responding to every question or argument. I ask keeping questions in this thread very close to the topic, rather than vague accusatory stuff, which will be deleted.

@Background Pony #6723  
You seem to be saying we should not moderate images at all; staff voting is…necessary to do so. It’s not like we can just run images by some kind of AI that knows what is and is not a rule violation.
Background Pony #AB73
@Princess Luna  
And you’re showing what’s going on by secretly deciding what’s being deleted (in bulk now!), while ignoring people’s concerns?

Bud, you guys decided that a blatant joke picture of ponies dabbing is a call to violence while an image glorifying cop murder isn’t. You decided that zebradom isn’t real racism, but anything showing races besides ponies in a negative light is. You’ve decided that an image of Nazi fetishism (masturbating in front of a gas chamber) promotes actual hate, but other fetishes don’t promote what they represent. You decided that one changeable aspect of a person isn’t open to targeting while another is.

The fact that all of the other nonsense, such as the badge marking undesirables, the site throttling, and Derpy’s insulting of users, existed and was dragged out into the light and you still think more secretive and one-sided targeting is a good idea really makes the staff look like a bunch of scumbags pretending to play nice. Is that what you are?
Background Pony #0CFF
Those polls only ran for a day, and votes could not be changed; this is different in both regards, which should alleviate the issue.

No? At all?  
The issue was that the staff members in question didn’t seem to care enough* to actually look at what they were voting on despite the fact the vote was only running for a day, that it couldn’t be changed and that it’d be influencing policy.  
How on earth would a longer time to vote, the fact they can change their vote and an increased volume of images to look at all at once give a result of increased scrutiny from those staff?  
If anything it’ll just promote a “Fuck it, i dont care.” mentality which renders the entire process of voting to be utterly pointless.

*I mean, how else are you supposed to take “We didn’t look at it properly.” as an explanation?  
The staff member/s didn’t care enough to do more than glance at the image.  
or  
You’re lying about that being the reason.  
or  
The staff member/s in question are half blind.  
Please if there’s another way to interpret things then I’m all ears.
Background Pony #77B2
You seem to be saying we should not moderate images at all; staff voting is…necessary to do so. It’s not like we can just run images by some kind of AI that knows what is and is not a rule violation.

No, I am saying the site has been doing fine for 8 years without some kind of secret villain voting scheme. What the hell changed to create this draconian expungement which appears to be amplifying in severity every day.
William Flutter

Autobot
@LightningBolt  
To be fair, they are kinda justified

The site worked so much for like what, 7 years? 8?

Then all of a sudden, Rule 0 comes along and literally damn near everybody gets pissy

And its mainly cause, according to Luna, mind you, “filtering promotes more racism”, in my opinion, it doesn`t promote racism, it does however promote that Racism, or anything else involving, you know what, should be on a site meant to archive pony art
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@LightningBolt
To be fair, they are kinda justified

It’s also justified for me to be insulting or angry back, but I’m not.

The site worked so much for like what, 7 years? 8?

There’s a lot you don’t know behind the scenes from then and now.

Then all of a sudden, Rule 0 comes along and literally damn near everybody gets pissy

Not entirely how the story went at all.

And its mainly cause, according to Luna, mind you, “filtering promotes more racism”, in my opinion, it doesn`t promote racism, it does however promote that Racism, or anything else involving, you know what, should be on a site meant to archive pony art

I can’t entirely say my opinions on that as I used to just hide anything even remotely political, but I can say that honestly very few legitimate people will be affected by everything going on.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #AB73  
Do you really think I or anyone on staff wants to respond to anyone here when the second they say anything, they get hounded, insulted, and then they question why their posts get deleted and no questions answered?

It’s exhausting.
William Flutter

Autobot
@LightningBolt  
I understand that

But still, is Rule 0 really justified? I mean, couldnt you make a filter filtering out anything political for people who dont want to see it? I mean, yeah, people use the “Everything” filter, I do it myself, but if theres anything I personally dont like, for example, I despise the “diaper” fetish, but I have a friend from G+, before that shit the bed, who was big on it, but I didn`t really care about it, I just ignored it, same here, except like you, I ht the “Hide” button
William Flutter

Autobot
@LightningBolt  
Well, if you need help, maybe some of the users help?

I mean, it is the user who makes the site, be the site, you know

Sure the mods are the ones who keep the peace and whatnot, but without any of the users, there wouldn`t be any site to begin with, maybe some of the users could be like your mouthpiece or something?
Princess Luna
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #77B2  
We’ve always voted internally to decide the fate of images, that’s how moderation works. It’s not suddenly “villainous” or whatever just because we had to rework a rule a little and go over images we hadn’t properly looked at before that piled up.

Also, reminder that Rules 0 and 6 still exist; this thread is not your “Derpi staff suck” blog.
doloresbridge
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Peace to all
@LightningBolt  
I, while being highly critical of the staff, agree that the insults don’t help anyone. Especially when adopting the view of the staff as this one unified monolith when they do have a variety of opinions on the subject. It isn’t productive.

@LightningBolt  
I can say that honestly very few legitimate people will be affected by everything going on.

And this is where the distrust comes in. Because of the site’s incoherence during this, jumping from justification to justification over the past couple of months. These assurances feel hollow. Not accusing you of lying. Just that I’m still uncertain of the site’s moral paradigm and direction. Trust will have to be earned back. I do hope you turn out right though. : )

@Princess Luna  
The bulk review is intended to have a lower threshold and more staff required for a valid vote,

I am very curious on how these bulk reviews will go. Is it by category? Like, all “shooter memes” or all image macros with X slur? (I use those examples because low quality).
William Flutter

Autobot
And I have another question, that **isnt** bait, it may seem like it, but it truly isnt

WHY exactly, do you mods care about what anyone outside the site care about what people say about the site?

I mean hell other people, like George Martin, get shat upon, hell, even we bronies get shat upon, like alot, hell, we still do, but we don`t really care about what they say, we still keep going, not caring about what others say, so why should you? Not trying to be defiant, in this comment mind you, just genuinely curious
Northern
Artist -

I refuse to bend
@Princess Luna  
No, but the implementation of the rules and the frustration had with that implementation is the subject of this thread. I’ve been very careful to keep my arguments about the argument in question and exposing the ways that uneven and unjust implementation of the rules have damaged the community and especially the staff’s credibility. I have been repeatedly ignored every time I make a solid point as well. The closest to a response that I’ve gotten is “If you think we’re biased, that’s your opinion”, which is tantamount to an admission that the staff are acting upon ideological bias over the rules in question. I understand wanting to keep the crux of messages away from insults, but even non-insulting messages such as DoloresBridges’ thread specifically cataloging what happened with the staff and why people don’t trust you now are being targeted. I will say this in your defense, however: Some of the people who have insulted me directly have also been taken out for Rule#0 violations as well. The cynic in me wants to attribute that to not wanting your side of the argument to look bad, but the realist in me knows that you’re trying to keep that under control from all sides.

As for my arguments about the uneven implementation and execution of the rules, they remain as solid as ever and as things progress have only gained more and more weight. You are burying yourselves under the weight of the choices you’ve made in this regard and while I am sorry that you are being so hated for them, as I have said before, this community is bigger than you or me or any one or group of us. I’ve always been and will always be loyal to the spirit of freedom ponies represented during the initial period of the fandom, the idea that there’s no right way to be, that everyone, no matter who they are deserves to be treated equally, regardless of what they make or do that hurts no one directly, ideals I see an ironic contradiction in in both the wording and implementation of the new rules. I came to this fandom in the first place at its inception to defend people’s right to freedom of expression from people who wanted to snuff it out because it didn’t fit the type of culture they wanted to cultivate. Please do not become, through content, politics and presentation policing the very thing that would have prevented all of us from being here right now if they had their way. Do not allow your quest to spread your personal ideals become one that stomps on the right of others to exist in a community that has been home to many of us for nearly a decade now. Many people whom you know are too afraid to tell you personally what they think of your actions, as they’ve told me. I beg you, as always, please reconsider.

@LightningBolt  
You strongly underestimate the amount of people who vehemently hate everything that has happened here. You strongly underestimate the percentage of the community that is actually affected by this. Freedom is a very sensitive topic and a ceiling can be felt by all, not just those who push at its limits. An argument I made earlier comes to mind: I will speak for the rights of the people I disagree with, even though I’m not one of them because I would hope, one day, if my opinions become unpopular all of you would stand with me too. This is how one stops the rise of totalitarianism. You cut off the head of the snake before its tail grows and binds your arms through inaction. Yeah, it’s easy to say ‘but they’re just Nazis, fuck them’ but not only is it not just Nazis even now (It’s mostly parody artists who use the concept of Aryanne to express dark humor), making a concerted and forcible effort to excise anyone from the community, regardless of stripe goes against the very foundational ideals of free expression and more importantly in this case the very ideals that allowed this group to exist.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thread has devolved well away from useful information and discussion