Explanation of update to Rule #0 for consistency and clarity especially in regards to racism

Background Pony #6BAD
@Northern  
The entire shitstorm has passed by now, twitter has moved on to the next manufactured outrage. It’s just the staff left soldiering on in their censorship crusade and a couple remnants trying to get them to stop. It’s like watching an animal with its neck tangled up in a fishing line, tightening the grip with every desperate tug and being unable to do anything to help it.
Background Pony #12B6
@Princess Luna

Unfortunately, such rework of rule as far as we know are not just something about the staff team, but is something that concerns absolutely everyone on this site. And the fact that the rework along with your actions mean a lot of pics could be deleted in fairly arbitrary ways naturaly speaks really bad from the staff in charge.  
Most of the people has been rather clear about the stance, and I’m afraid all the pushes made by the staff rather than helping anyone is just deteriorating the trust. Plus, making harsher rules will give people a bigger incentive to report for eventually less and less reasonable reasons, because just as nazism can be seen as something offensive, so is communism, classism against either rich or poor, racism towards black and also towards white. If you give the incentives to people to ask for sheltering from unconfortable things, it’ll eventually end with a site devoid of joy because everyone is going to be watching his/her back for fear of making feel someone unconfortable.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@doloresbridge  
The current focus is on content relating to the Holocaust and Nazi propaganda (as in like, pictures of Nazi parades with ponies inserted). I expect after this we’ll look at images with racism, and then possibly Rule 3 political stuff in general.

@William Flutter  
You’re making a large assumption about the reasoning behind this, creating a “loaded question”. The rule update wouldn’t be happening in this form if we had consistent enforcement of Rule 0 to begin with, regardless of what anyone said off of the site.

Frankly, it’s an entirely false narrative that the rule didn’t need any reworking; I’ve actually been planning on a smaller form of reworking of the rule for the better part of a year, targeting low effort content. While it’s uncertain how that would’ve panned out with affecting the language about discrimination, and thus enforcement, it certainly wouldn’t snap into a state where the rule wording okays something like a Le Happy Merchant screencap edit*, and most likely would’ve seen at least a similar splitting up of that large bulletpoint for readability’s sake.

*Images that are that far have been not-okay for 6 years, and it’s important we recognize that this booru has had actual moderation of images for racist content for those years. Whether you are against deleting something for being a form of propaganda to try to make people racist or not, you should reckon with the fact that this is content we didn’t suddenly target one day recently, and that if you didn’t know that, you were unfamiliar with our rules.  
The rule change is not a binary switch from not deleting things for racism to deleting them, but a change of how we approach a determining line.
Northern
Artist -

I refuse to bend
*Images that are that far have been not-okay for 6 years, and it’s important we recognize that this booru has had actual moderation of images for racist content for those years. Whether you are against deleting something for being a form of propaganda to try to make people racist or not

You have yet to demonstrate a single case of any of the images actually having been deleted due to the present recreation of the rule actually being a form of propaganda.
Background Pony #B19D
@William Flutter  
So, basically when the site was still being set up, before it even had style sheets. Isn’t that the kind of stuff the Lina said they were looking at? Old images that didn’t get looked at before?
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@William Flutter  
As others have indicated, that would be quite far back. In fact, even before the rules had numbers, the first listing ended with “This includes anti-semitic, racist or otherwise abusive content.” The only version on waybackmachine that doesn’t have that, the first, comes from pretty shortly after the great Ponibooru migration.  
…it’s quite likely given this that I’ve actually been misstating the number of years we’ve had a restriction on blatantly racist content, and that it’s 8, not 6. I’ll have to look at some things to confirm that, of course.

@Background Pony #B19D  
The old images were mostly from well after the rules were numbered, but at times where there were less users and things got uploaded without really being noticed.
Background Pony #B19D
@William Flutter  
So, I’m still not sure what your point is. Are you agreeing racist stuff was missed and should be deleted? Or are you saying Rule #0 shouldn’t exist and the site should go back to the rules as they were in 2012 before it was even fully set up? Or do you mean something else?
William Flutter

Autobot
@Background Pony #B19D  
Get rid of Rule 0, but not completely

Keep it up, but change the whole thing, nothing about racism would exist in the New Rule 0, instead anything pertaining to racism and anything else pertaining to it, like politics for example should be an Official Filter for the site, via the drop down menu

Not only should it keep the site back to before Rule 0, but it might keep certain other people happy enough to still enjoy the site’s actual purpose
Background Pony #B19D
@Princess Luna  
Staff have often said that they don’t look at everything uploaded, so if it wasn’t reported it makes sense there’s lots of stuff that wasn’t seen. So wouldn’t be surprising if stuff was on the site that broke rules. That’s kindof one of the charms of this site. But if everything that’s happened has put it all under a magnifying glass, then that’s sad but that’s life. Spending more time in the way back machinelooking at the original rules from when the site first started it sounds like there’s images that shouldnt have been here in the first place.
Background Pony #B19D
@William Flutter  
How can a rule that’s been the VERY FIRST RULE of the site since the site was created not be a part of the sites “actual purpose”?
Background Pony #95A8
@LightningBolt  
I can understand how exhausting it is, but from the normal user’s point of view this is purely an ideological crusade that could have been avoided if we ignored the twitter raid and kept going on as we have been for years  
I dont personally care for the super edgy stuff, I’m more concerned about the massive number of DNPs that will really hurt the fandom in the long run, especially now that the show is over  
Some people(not accusing the mods of this) are so ideologically poisoned that they think attacking a vulnerable fandom over edgy memes is justified, one specific one even saying that if this ideological crusade killed the fandom then “it didnt deserve to exist”, and to top if off in the eyes of the average user you guys look like you share that kind of opinion, and that kind of opinion is a scary, fandom killing slippery slope that has caused such a mass panic that 4 alternate boorus propped up in a single month, and since some of the mods here are also mods for furbooru, and half the ads on the site being furbooru, it makes it seem like some of you guys(again, not all of you) dont particularly care for the fandom that much anymore, which only validates their fearful opinion in their eyes  
This mass deletion crusade is only going to keep causing strife, fear, and anger as long as it continues
CHurricane
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Devil's Advocate
Just a quick question from me this time (because i am a little busy IRL to get deeper into discussion right now):  
Why was >>2419179 removed?  
I mean i know that the sign “Freundshaft macht frei” was a parody of “Arbeit macht frei” but beside that there is no racism or call to violence in this picture and the sign being in front of Friendship school is clearly meant to be a joke.
Northern
Artist -

I refuse to bend
@CHurricane  
If anything, the words “Friendship makes you free” is a positive subversion of the message that lampshade’s the show’s tendency to push for a universal ideal of friendship that doesn’t necessarily fit all sizes, even in universe.
Background Pony #6284
Good mods should be seen and not heard. Better mods don’t use the rules to ban people with dissenting opinions or attitudes.  
Derpibooru has neither and I’ve been both disappointed and disgusted with the site for years now. Nothing but a complete purging and replacement of the current moderators and administrators will fix it.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Wallet After Summer Sale -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@CHurricane  
@CHurricane  
Because it’s okay when the pic is against the staff’s collective political views, but when the pic agrees with their views, it has to be argued for deletion. See Literally Whoot’s Punk Rarity ACAB image, and that Chrysalis ACAB pic with the pig stand-in.

Just like how downvoting a handful of ACAB/BLM pics will net you consequences (shadow filter, temp bans), whereas you can downvote all the Aryanne art you want. You won’t get hit with the same consequences if it’s against Aryanne, even though you’re literally doing the same thing.  
See all of the new Marenheit stuff that’s being uploaded within the past 12 hours to know that people are mass-downvoting that content, and yet will not get punished for it. It wouldn’t be the same if Marenheit was full of ACAB/BLM content.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Thread has devolved well away from useful information and discussion