Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@byte[]  
…as in they’re scheduled for removal? I find them useful (even as simple estimates) to avoid following tags that will flood my watching list.
Background Pony #2C2F
@Damaged  
Maybe have a way to allow description editing, along with history of edits like tags/source right now, but that might get badly abused.

@byte[]  
I hope that doesn’t get completely removed, since they were convenient to get a (very) rough estimate on how many pics exist with the tagged content.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@byte[]  
Wait, what the hell?! Don’t you dare to remove those numbers. Even if they’re slightly inaccurate sometimes.

Those numbers do have actual purposes, for example, when trying to determine which of the multiple possible tags is the correct one and which of the little-used tags should be removed/merged.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
@JP  
@byte[]
Wait, what the hell?! Don’t you dare to remove those numbers. Even if they’re slightly inaccurate sometimes.
Those numbers do have actual purposes, for example, when trying to determine which of the multiple possible tags is the correct one and which of the little-used tags should be removed/merged.
KeriNova
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Responsible Disclosure - Responsible Disclosure
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Because I like not having torch-bearing crowds chanting for blood at my front door.
Funny you said that just before torch-bearing crowds chanting for blood arrived, albeit for different reason.

@byte[]  
Can you elaborate how numbers on tags and number in the bottom are related to the actual number of matching images and what’s the problem of displaying the same number. I believe number on tags should be significantly faster to get, because there could be hundreds of tags on page. By why the error is getting so big, don’t you synchronize them from time to time? With total of ~414300 tags I guess it’s a lot of work to sync all of them often though.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

PSA: R0 was changed!
@byte[]
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
@byte[]

If you’re going to do it in some form, at least make it a toggle-able setting on the user-end. But don’t remove it as a whole.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

This is a box.
Yeah, I know they can be messy sometimes, even negative and stuff. But knowing the (sometimes rough) amount of images having a specific tag is nice, especially without needing a search query.  
I know your struggles with making them work as they should, but it is far better than nothing.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@kerinova  
My suspicion is that some of the problems stem from the counts displayed under the image are raw counts, while the actual number of results filters out deleted, merged, and tag-blocked images.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.

Word Bug
@Background Pony #99DE  
I’ve been thinking on this some more, and what if there was a 4th line in the tag drop-downs that have start|back|next|last buttons on it? Maybe even a random button in the middle?

Something like this: full

It would of course just move forward or backward through the DB by ID number.
stsyn
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Economist -

@Wellwater  
Right now this thing does something like this, but in more sophisticated way (initially designed to fix issues with navigation and, sadly, it’s still the main purpose for this thing to exist).
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
Removing the numbers on tags is daft, but adding a feature to them would be good. Namely, distinction between a tag that is at 0 images because it’s actually on 0 images and a tag at zero because it is aliased into something else. I.e. show (aliased) instead of (0) on alias’s secondary tags.
Background Pony #2C2F
Can there please be a way to display the file dimensions of the fetched image? Sometimes, I grab the url of the smaller pics by accident, and only noticed it after upload. Something like  
full
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@kerinova
My suspicion is that some of the problems stem from the counts displayed under the image are raw counts, while the actual number of results filters out deleted, merged, and tag-blocked images.

Deleted/Merged images aren’t counted among the tag count.  
The results from a search can vary from the listed tag count for a few reasons:  
Filters/search terms as you mentioned.  
The tag count being thrown off.  
The tag count being off happens a few different ways. One of which is if, say, two people were editing tags on an image at the same time. And both removed the same tag. Since the site counts that removal both times, it lowers the tag count by 2. Even though only 1 image had it removed.  
It also used to be that staff changing tags on deleted images would throw off the counts. But that has since been fixed.

We can re-set the number to match the given images. The only problem is that doesn’t work on the tags that are, say 15,000+.  
Though I hear that there’s a background fix in the works for that.

Anywho, I also agree that tag counts should remain displayed.
Artistic Detective -

So, in the bug thread, I’ve just been taught that wildcard searches will include tag aliases in the pool of information from which to find results. Sayeth byte[]: “If any searches include aliases, all searches must include aliases.”

OK, just to get it out of the way, the obvious suggestion then is an option or “field selector” to search only images’ literal tags (or if the back end works the opposite way: search only unaliased tags).

But, what caused my original confusion is a relative lack of clarity. This leads me to several feature suggestions:

For example, when you search for a specific tag which is aliased to another, it says so and shows what it is on the search page. How about, an expandable section (like is already used for “Implied by”) which gives a list of all tags matched by a nonliteral search (eg. wildcard or fuzzy)? For bonus points, it could incorporate small explanations like “X because it is aliased from Y (which matches)” or “Y which aliases to X”.

Furthermore, on the image page itself, nothing indicates why it was a search result. Admittedly, it’s pretty self-evident for non-aliased tag matches and most if not all field searches, but still, a feature which highlights which tag(s) and/or field(s) matched the search would be cool. In particular, if an aliased tag is part of the match, it ought to be represented in the image’s list of tags (perhaps in the same way mentioned above, “X because it is aliased from Y [which matches]).  
This might be unfeasible since I know you can view an image and simultaneously have an irrelevant search parameter specified in the URL, ie. the search and the display of an image are not presently tied together on Derpibooru.

Finding what aliases direct to a tag is a little awkward, especially when starting from an image. I can click each tag on an image, and see what aliases for it are listed - which sounds like I’m just being lazy, and maybe so. 20 tags later and I’ve already somehow overlooked which one had the alias in my search, though… So, feature: you know the drop-down that has “Watch” and “Filter”? What about a sub-menu that has “Aliases”? And while I’m dreaming, how about “Implied by (on this image)”?

Even the Tags page makes things a bit obtuse. Like it says, “A wildcard is added at the beginning and the end” - so if I tried to use that page to accomplish suggestion #1, there are lots of cases where it will throw in unrelated tags since its search works differently. I understand why that was intended, and I’m not confident what to suggest otherwise: Omit the starting and ending wildcards if any wildcards are present in the search term? (That’s unintuitive.) Add a checkbox for “strict search”? (Interface clutter, although, not much.)

And to top it all off, the Aliases list is not itself actually searchable, or even alphabetically indexed. How about it?

OK, I’m done. tl;dr more upfront discoverability of information about aliases.

P.S. +1 for please to keep tag counts.
Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Word Bug
Perhaps open graph data could be added to the /tags/* endpoint?

Right now all image pages generate open graph data for easy embedding, but the only info tags give is the theme-color and a general site description.

Consider the safe tag for example. You could add an og:description for the short description of the tag, link the spoiler image as og:image, and use the tag’s name as the og:title.
Background Pony #F989
Is there a find a mod/site overseer sort of feature? Because there’s one guy right now spam posting and I’m trying to get a mod or whatever they’re called and have run out of report tags and this guy is really out there
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Why were the tag and source edits separated? I remember somemod gritting their teeth that it had taken so long to be implemented, so I assume it makes an image page better/faster/less bork-prone somehow, but… how, exactly?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide