Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Sff
If we limit pings to threads where the user is an active participant, then the requirement that the linked post for the ping is a valid comment probably becomes redundant.
Would “let’s ping @PUBLIQ, he’s the resident equine anatomy nerd” be used much for its intended purpose? I agree with not allowing pinging in threads the pinged user has not already participated in.
Posted Report
Silver Bristle
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

Procedural AI
I’ve uploaded the art, which was already uploaded here. But due the changes of the resolution and some other differences the local searching couldn’t find the art. Should it be deleted?
The old
>>2512836
The new
>>3094712
Posted Report
Background Pony #0F89
[…] but collapsing images in search is an implementation rabbit hole.
Unfortunately, that is also the most important aspect of such a feature - after all, post descriptions (where you can link to others) and galleries already exist.
Beyond even technical implementation, it’s a difficult question for setting up rules, too - for example, on Pixiv I often see artists making grouped posts of several dozen topically-unrelated images such as “sketches from this week” or whatever, and I find that counterproductive.
Posted Report
Background Pony #0F89
@moonchosen
Major browsers can already do that by themselves, for any site; implementing it as a site feature seems redundant.
Background Pony #0F89
@saby
Not sure why you brought up OCR in a comparison to YouTube comments, but OK.
Chrome has in-place Google Translate and right-click image or rectangular selection to Google Lens which does OCR and translation.
Safari for Mac and iOS has both text and text-in-images translation built-in.
Firefox has an official extension for in-place translation, and undoubtedly other extensions for Google Lens or similar.
Amphibian Swamp
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

I have an idea!
Since “Featured Images” are are thing. Where an artwork (perhaps screenshots too, but that doesn’t seem to have happened for years) gets featured on the front page. But most the time it’s usually an artwork that’s over 500 faves and upvotes. Which only happens with popular/famous artists who share art on multiple websites.
Usually I don’t really think about the Featured Art. Or even notice it. It’s cool and all, but the idea got me thinking… What if there was a similar thing to “Featured Art” but it only focuses on smaller artists?
It could be named anything. But I’ll just call it “Spotlight Image”
So. Perhaps “Spotlight Image” can be used to showcase and feature artwork from smaller and less popular artists. To give them some love! Maybe there could be a thread, (either every time voting happens, or just one thread dedicated to the whole thing) Every week, month or so where users discuss what image could be featured as the next “Spotlight Image”
For an image to be a “Spotlight image” it needs the following:
*Cannot have any more than 150 faves
*Must be at least a few weeks old
*Cannot be a sketch, tutorial, w.i.p, exploitable meme, OP is a duck (and related stuff), troll art, trace, vector, score of 0 or lower
What do you guys think?
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Moving
Featured images already are mainly to showcase stuff like that, it only has 500 likes as you saw it after 500 other people did after it got featured.
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
Yeah. In my experience, most of the images that get featured have less than a hundred upvotes at the time they are nominated. And, though I don’t always do it, I try to find artists who are actually and actively using the site and haven’t been featured before. But, sometimes something really special comes along and I just nominate that regardless of the specs.
Cannot be a sketch [or a] vector
Literally what? No. You just excluded images that we have featured, like:
It’s perfectly fine if you don’t like sketches and vectors - that’s what filters are for.
But sketches and vectors can and should be nominated and win.
OP is a duck
You may not understand what this means. Does it help if I say that the uploader of the image is not considered when looking at nominated images, and that the uploader happens to be a duck should not prevent an artist from being featured?
Sorry if I’m coming down hard on your suggestions. I am having a very busy ‘get work done’ kind of day, and I guess ‘being nice and patient with everyone and encourage them to find better ways to form and present their proposals’ is falling to the side in a literal sea of ‘why isn’t this done yet?’ But, if it helps, I try to look for examples of what I am excluding or including in similar proposals, and a simple search would have shown you right away what you were actually excluding in your proposal.
radpanic
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

never big enough
OP is a duck
You may not understand what this means. Does it help if I say that the uploader of the image is not considered when looking at nominated images, and that the uploader happens to be a duck should not prevent an artist from being featured?
But the detailed description on the tag just reads “The uploaded picture was meant to incite strong negative reactions or make unpopular statements for their own sake.” Despite the name, it’s supposed to comment on the art itself, not the uploader.
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

extra fun at parties
@Moving
I. Have. Data.
The 17 features I’ve managed to both nominate and properly record, have had on average:
  • 78 faves, 119 upvotes, and 3 comments on the day prior to feature
  • 640 faves, 915 upvotes, and 20 comments on the day after the feature
  • gaining 562 faves, 796 upvotes, and 18 comments.
It’s actually very hard for a nomination with a pre-existing score greater than say, 250, to succeed in the selection, even moreso if the artist gets triple digit scores on their images on the regular. We do have the occasional “this beloved artist has given the fandom so much great art and somehow we never featured them” feature, but most of the time the Featured Image already functions exactly as you suggested, although without such strict theme restrictions (why no tutorials? why would a zero or negative score prevent eligibility for an otherwise earned feature?).
Ciaran
ラ・ゼッタ - For supporting the site
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

Senior Moderator
友情は魔法だ
@radpanic
Sometimes ducks do good things too. They have been a known troublemaker in the past, but people can change, and sometimes even duck badges go away.
And isn’t that a good thing?
Wait. It just occurred to me we are looking at the tag two different ways. Sometimes the tag is subjective and added by someone grumpy about the image and we will just remove that tag if it’s a problem, and other times the OP literally is a quicker.
So, case by case.
Anyway, there are no examples of any featured image still having that tag, but there is a possibility there are some that may have had it, however briefly.
Background Pony #0F89
Require sound or no sound be present in the tags when the file type is webm.

Interrupt posting and tag changing with a pop up “are you sure?” confirmation prompt for often-misused tagging situations, eg.:
  • (when both anthro and pony are in the tags) “Is there really both an anthro and a pony in this picture? Usually, there is only one or the other.”
  • “The tag mane six means Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Rarity, and Twilight Sparkle are ALL in the picture. Is this the case?”
  • “The tag elements of harmony means ALL six elements are in the picture. Is this the case?”
  • neon lights is a character in the show. Is this character in the picture, or did you mean neon instead?”
etc.
Background Pony #0F89
If you made any feature suggestions, now would be an excellent time to bump them in this thread
Other ideas I haven’t previously posted (and may well have been suggested by other people instead):
  • Description change history, like there is tag change history and source change history
  • Ability to search via previous sources and descriptions (something like source_url_ever:)
  • Multiple sources (I know this one has been worked on before, but stalled)
    • If including multiple sources when uploading, fetch from them all and automatically select the best format available (eg. JPEG < JPEG with less compression level < PNG, low res < high res)
  • One-to-many tag aliasing: so it could be set up that if someone writes pony oc in the tag field, instead you get pony and oc (and a search for pony oc either just doesn’t work, or gets handled as a search for pony, oc in the backend)
  • On the tags page, allow searching by number of times removed, added, and initially present when uploaded
    • and option to sort by these?
    • and option to sort by most recent activity?
  • Search/sort comments and forum posts by edit datetime, and by duration from initial creation to most recent edit
We have many more opportunities to implement more demanding features
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).

Definitely seconding multiple sources, a lot of the artists here have presence on multiple sites but places like VK and Instagram and Lofter have no use to me for reblogging/reposting purposes.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide