Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

radpanic
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

never big enough
@Yoshimon1
I guess you’re thinking primarily of cases where each picture from a separate source gets uploaded separately and then merged after the fact, with the resulting merged picture featuring both source links.
I’m thinking of cases where an uploader finds a picture only after the artist has already uploaded it to Twitter, DA, FA, Tumblr, Pixiv, etc. (And thanks to apps like Postybirb, it’s now possible for an artist to upload the same pic to all their image galleries simultaneously.) So the uploader only uploads the highest-quality version of the image, but for the purpose of thoroughness includes all the source links. (It’s me. I’m an uploader who frequently ends up in this situation.)
Under the old system, the uploader could prioritize the highest-quality source by posting it in the only “source” box, and list the other sources in the description. As great as the new system is, it doesn’t have a built-in way to prioritize the highest quality source like that.
Yoshimon1
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

yay(){ yay|yay & };yay
@radpanic
Ah, yes, that’s pretty much what I meant, too. You upload it from <high quality source> and then you’d flag the <high quality source> link to show that’s the source you uploaded the image from.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

I think the ☑ Edit and ↺ History buttons would be more intuitive and make an image page feel less cluttered if they were on the same blue bar as ⇖ Tags.
Ponylooker
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Platinum bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

We Crossdress Harder
Dunno what they mean, but it makes me think of what I’ve wanted for years, which is the same tag typeahead in the search bar that is in the fancy tag editor.
Ponylooker
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Platinum bit -
Sapphire -
Happy Derpy! -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

We Crossdress Harder
I realize that this is both a niche problem and a “me” problem, and it probably oughtn’t be changed because it’s based on established booru standards, but I still want to air it: when I add tags that I watch to an image, then look at the history, it throws me every time to see the + signs by all the other tags and the - sign by the ones I added. This invariably happens as I’m navigating away, and leaves me thinking, “The hell? I swear I didn’t remove that tag.” Then I have to go back and check and smack myself in the forehead because of course “+” means “this is a tag” and “-” means “this is a tag that is on your current watchlist” rather than + and - meaning added and subtracted in the list of added and subtracted tags.
Why can’t “Watched” be W, just like H is Hidden and S is Spoilered? Then + could be freed up to be “add to current search” like Danbooru, though that’s a new and huge worm can.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!

When [☑ Add/Edit] is clicked to add a source to an image, a cursor doesn’t jump to the text box like it does when [☑ Edit] is clicked to add a tag; is that something the site code does, or Firefox?
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Since we got a ping a week or three ago about bumping feature suggestions to take advantage of new hardware…
  1. Automated tagging for file format facts? I know we can use the search for resolution and PNG/SVG, but most users simply treat everything as a tag.
  2. User setting for anti-procrastination mode, similar to Hacker News?
  3. Allow mods the option to preserve comments and/or descriptions on deleted images. I’d suggest preserving descriptions default to on. Comment preservation is more complex. It should default to preserving commentary if it’s a mass deletion, such as an artist taking down their entire oeuvre. Images with at least one comment of over 999 characters should similarly default to preservation mode. Images where all the comments are ≤100 (visible, perhaps 256 if markdown is included) characters can be assumed safe to default to delete the comments along with the image. other related posts 1 2 3 4
  4. Don’t deliver notifications if all the new comments are deleted. Also has a dedicated thread without my involvement
  5. I’ve apparently suggested linking related images (such as how e6 does parent/child images) for edits on multiple occasions: 1 2. It’s being worked on
  6. Preserve post contents on posting failure. This happens both when getting hit with a rate limit (only mildly annoying, as those are almost all very short comments) and due to session timeout (infuriating, as that often mean an effort post was lost)
  7. Button to bookmark comments. Useful in conjunction with clopfic in the comments and similar tags.
  8. Search (comments & description) by length (word count)
  9. Add a “download as GIF” option for reasonably-short webm & mp4 files.

Features not for Derpibooru or current Philomena boorus but in case a Philomena 2.0 is ever forked for future communities to start from scratch

1. Associative tagging, a.k.a. noun tags and verb tags. Not for any existing booru with 3 million images under the current system.
  2. ActivityPub integration for compatibility with Pleroma, Mastodon, Lemmy, Pixelfed, etc…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide