Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Background Pony #FD66
When posting from a URL, we should be able to tell the site not to automatically add the long as the source, in case it’s just a link to TinyPic.
Solitude
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Element of Generosity -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

→ Better tag visibility by type
I’m definitely not sure what this means in a “the result is” sort of way.

The result is we get tags with a pretty new color to help them stand out, I’d wager.

Dunno about “per total” but there are a ridiculous number of ways you can search for things.

it’d be nice to search just in 1 specific thread

Mouse over “Forums” up there and click Post Search. You can put the thread’s name in “subject” and put whatever keywords you want in “body”. Should go a ways in helping with that.
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
Would it be possible to have a button to delete linked sites from a profile? I’m getting rid of one of my Tumblrs, and probably renaming a second one, so I’d like to remove the links so that people don’t see them listed under my artist tag.
IDLauncher

Dunno about “per total” but there are a ridiculous number of ways you can search for things.

While this is true, and the search syntax is really awesome, I haven’t come up with a good way to use the search syntax to workaround the limit of tag results to systematically see all the artist tags. Right now the best I got is two character alphabetically. Just one letter still hits the result limit, so I’d have to search for “artist:aa” then “artist:ab” etc, which is pretty darned tedious.

Mouse over “Forums” up there and click Post Search. You can put the thread’s name in “subject” and put whatever keywords you want in “body”. Should go a ways in helping with that.

Neat. Glad we can do that. A button inside of a thread that fills in the subject line for you when clicking it that says something like “search this thread” would still be something nice to see though. Can threads have the same title? As much as that would be an edge case that would likely never come up, I’m all about trying to prevent them anyway.
Solitude
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Element of Generosity -

@IDLauncher  
You’re gonna wanna bug one of the coders for that. That kinda stuff is way outta my league. Also no idea about the title thing. Never tried that.

As for something of my own: doing a search for my uploads doesn’t return images uploaded anonymously but using the random image button in my uploads does. Would it be possible to make searches include anonymous uploads?
Exedrus
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Silver Supporter - Silver Supporter
Heart Gem -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! -
Responsible Disclosure -
Artist -

I’m not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I noticed that the UI was updated a few days ago so that certain categories of tags have certain colors. In particular, I noticed that the artist tags and the “artist needed” tags have their own unique colors.

I want to suggest three other tags that probably deserve to also be colored (for the same reasons as the previously mentioned tags):

• “anonymous artist”: The purpose of this tag was to notify people that the artist wished to remain anonymous (i.e. do not identify them in the comments section, do not add their artist tag). Maybe make it the same color as the “artist needed” tag? It should be really apparent so that people can’t miss it when they skim over the tags to make a comment. (I suspect a lot of people have made this mistake.)

• “anonymous foe artist”: Basically the same as the above tag, except its for Fallout Equestria artists. I’m not 100% sure, but I think it was created because once I told an anonymous (Fo:E) artist that I wanted to follow his/her artwork, but couldn’t because the artist refused to create an artist tag for themself… So they may have created this tag to vaguely identify themself? Dunno. But should probably be handled same as the “anonymous artist” tag.

• “source needed”: should probably be the same color as the “artist needed” tag? They’re kinda similar concepts, I think.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@IDLauncher  
Seeing a list of tags within a tag namespace could be useful, but it’d be low priority. I don’t see much use for this outside of curiosity.

@Solitude  
As I understand it, giving users access to normally-mods/admins-only stuff for their own stuff only in search is rather complicated and involves some decisions on syntax that are tricky to make.

@Exedrus  
1 - Artist needed is a red color to signify that it’s a problem. No such problem exists for “anonymous artist”, it should be the artist tag color if any color.  
2 - That should be “artist:anonymous foe artist” if it’s a unique identifier.  
3 - This tag should not exist now that complex filters and watchlists do (“source_url:”, although I’ll have to check on whether the current minor inconsistency in storing blank sources affects this).

@VladimirMacHolzraum  
I don’t really see a point to this, also, don’t you mean oldest first?
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Solitude  
You’re supposed to be able to see your own uploads, even as-anon ones, and can do so via the /uploaded link. The issue is that, even for me, “uploader:Princess Luna” gives no results; there’s a separate thing for admins to search including as-anon, and we’d have to either provide that, but only for your own uploads (kinda silly, and adds complexity in how it works), provide something like “uploaded_by_me” (no parameter to specify, less silly, but adds new search syntax), or make “uploader:<name here>” work differently if the name was yours (also a bit silly, adds complexity, and weird).
Solitude
Element of Generosity -

@Princess Luna  
Yes, I can see any anon uploads I made via the /uploaded link. It’s just that when you have a significant amount of uploads it’s sometimes easier to use the “my uploads” function in the search page if you’re looking for an old upload.

I was just wondering when I saw the “random image” button on the uploaded page return an image I had uploaded as anon if it could be done with the regular search since it did so with the random search. But I understand if it’s too much trouble. No biggie.
Mad Black
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations

Probably a silly suggestion, since it would be only useful for the Site Assistants and the Mod Team. But how about a function to retag multiply images at once by selecting them manually via a checkfield on the images thumbnail? Could be useful if a tag has many wrong images applied to it and they have to be corrected manually. Or when there is a new tag and an alias or implication isn’t really possible.  
Would probably be a lot faster than manually clicking on each image, entering the tagfield and copy paste the tag or tags on every single picture.
VladimirMacHolzraum
Artist -

@VladimirMacHolzraum
don’t you mean oldest first?
Goddammit. Yes, that is what I meant.

full

@Princess Luna  
I don’t really see a point to this
So that after reading a long comment thread, I can see if any new comments have been posted while I was going through it. If I use the browser’s refresh button, it takes me back to the top of the page since the comments load separately from everything else and then I have to scroll all the way back down.
Exedrus
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Heart Gem -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! -
Responsible Disclosure -
Artist -

“1 – Artist needed is a red color to…”  
Alright, as long as the “anonymous artist” tag is changed to a different color. I just want it to be more visible so that people don’t miss it.

“2 – That should be…”  
I don’t think it’s supposed to be unique… Tho I’m not really sure. That artist didn’t want to create an artist tag for his/her work in particular. But I’m not the one who created this tag so I don’t fully know the intentions behind it….

“3 – This tag should not exist now that…”  
Hmmm. I’m not 100% on that. I remember instances when someone would add in the wrong source link, and it would be impossible to remove (can’t just be replaced with a blank space/nothing). Tho it’s been a while since I’ve bothered checking source links, so maybe it’s been fixed? (Or maybe it’s intentional? IDK…)
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Mad Black  
Mass-revert tools are planned.

@VladimirMacHolzraum  
I might make the top and bottom of comment sections the same. I think currently there’s no page buttons up top, either.

@Exedrus  
1 - I’ll have to run the coloring by Clover, since we’re hitting a point where lots of tags are colored.  
2 - Try and find out.  
3 - Indeed, sources cannot be blanked except by moderators/admins. I think we will need to implement better checking for them to deal with people putting in random garbage. Do note the “useless source url” tag also exists.
Kaz
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Thread Starter - Ask the Next Person A Question Game

MurdershyIsHottest
I think animated gifs should be auto-hidden on the forums because there are people who’ll post like 5 of them at once and it causes the whole page to lag.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #F96F  
We’re definitely not giving mass-revert tools to regular users when we implement them.  
Become a site assistant if you want to help a lot with tagging (PM TSP about it).

@Kaz  
This would be a headache to write because browsers tend to note care about what type an image is in a way that’s easy to peek at. Also, it’s a problem with users spamming stuff, not with the site.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

@Kaz  
My Adblock filter list is miles long because I right click and block any hubongulous animated GIF that’s taking a long time to load. Doesn’t work on mobile because mobile browsers suck, though, but Firefox at least usually syncs the filters between desktop and mobile.
Exedrus
Heart Gem -
Happy Derpy! -
Responsible Disclosure -
Artist -

@Princess Luna  
1 - Alright.

2 - Wait, what do you want me to do? I can change all the tags to “artist:anonymous foe artist”, but I’m not the one who adds these tags… It’s almost always the anon uploader who adds them by default. I could change them, but the uploader will probably keep using the old tag…

And, I don’t really know the uploader, so I can’t advocate for how they want to handle their anonymity, nor am I an admin who can have an authoritative say on how tags should be used… The question of how this should be handled seems kinda beyond me… Maybe an admin should PM the uploader? (I hope I’m not making this too complicated. ^^’ )

3 - So at some point these tags will be scrapped for a better solution? (Are you saying it isn’t worth the dev time to implement this recolor?)
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Exedrus  
1 - Done. Won’t appear until after the next deploy.  
2 - Tags are annoying like this. I can look into it when I have the time.  
3 - Yes, tags that can be replaced by non-tag syntax should be scrapped. We’re just hesitant to because of the difficulty of transitioning filters etc.
JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
@Kaz  
I know your pain. It’s even worse when they’re all 20 megabytes in size. Freezes almost the whole system for several seconds (not a connection problem, but system resource consumption problem).

Similar thing happens when people link to massive 10000x10000 pixel images by directly embedding the full-size image in their comment (they click on the “View” button, then copy the URL) instead of PROPERLY USING THE “EMBED THIS IMAGE” FEATURE THE SITE HAS HAD FOR YEARS.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide