Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
Some padding between the blue info bar and the image would be nice. The image now touches the bar (>>518398 is a good example of this) and that looks ugly. The padding was there yesterday, but the recent update removed it. (You can’t see it if the image has a white/plain background, like >>518338.)

The site also feels a lot more cramped vertically, like as if the row-height and/or padding of all text has been made smaller?
JustGoAway
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendly Griffon - For helping others attend the fifth anniversary party
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Responsible Disclosure - Hidden vote counts being revealed when voting

It's just pictures.
I don’t know where to ask this, so I’ll do it here: any chance the numbers on thumbnails could be a little bigger, while the icons next to them could be smaller? The way it is arranged right now makes it feel a bit disorienting, IMHO. A little bit more space between the fave and upvote counters would be very much appreciated too.
IAmAPony
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations

Suggestions:

1. Display both upvotes and downvotes. For reasoning see my post in What happened to the ‘neigh’ button?

2. Make fave and upvote icons on thumbnails less prominent. They can be colored gray, because they attract too much attention and are too noisy.

3. Add sorting by upvotes (and maybe downvotes). Fetish art has too many downvotes, so sorting by the result score isn’t very useful (I’d prefer +50–70 over +5–5).

4. Add spoilers shared with all filters. Episode spoilers are temporary and serve a different function from other spoilers and hiding. It’s hard to keep all filters updated with the current episode spoilers.

Bugs:

5. Sometimes spoilers for future episodes “disappear” from filters. Maybe it’s caused by the lack of any images with the spoilered tag, I’m not sure. However, it makes keeping episode spoilers in filters up to date hard, because I have to add missing tags and make sure nothing disappeared again.
ClownDicks
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@DoucheClop  
Hell, why not remove the icons entirely?

Also, >>518516

Alternatively, this:

@ClownDicks  
Don’t show the score. Just the number of faves, the fave button, the upvote button, and the downvote button.

Alternatively, remove upvotes and downvotes entirely.
Background Pony #98CD
@ClownDicks  
I can get behind the idea from the linked image. Although, it suggests that the downvote button would be back…
ClownDicks

@DoucheClop  
So what?

Also, bring back orange for message alerts. Whose idea was that pale yellow? And what’s up with the text in the text boxes and filter droplist? And why don’t responses to anons show their number anymore?
Kj2

I for one wouldnt mind going on a image to fave it, but sincerely even though i barely use the downvote thing i dont want to open a pic i dont like just to downvote it…  
Soo yea, i guess if space is the problem then removing the ‘fave’ instead of the ‘neigh’ would be a better solution, why would you go into a image you dont like just to downvote it? I dont think there s a point to go into a image you dont like at all

Also in less than a hour i downvoted more than i usually downvoted in a entire day before…dont think that s working for me…  
And like someone said back there, DB just became a hugbox

Edit: i went to see what caused to ya’ll make this change and i agree that it may make people think more and with the fetish stuff, but downright removing it from tumbnails still doesnt feel right
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Another small suggestion - it might make sense to swap the ^ and the “fave” button, so that the change icons are next to the same respective scores that they represent on the bar, like this.
  • 2 fave ^ 1 yay

Is there a reason it can’t look like this:  
>>518516  
Ignore the downvote button in that image for a sec, just look at the other three. Is there a reason why the “fav” icon can’t be merged into the favorite score and the “yay” icon can’t be achieved by a click on the upvote number and up icon?

I mean, we’re talking about how little room there is on the bar and yet this layout is rather wasteful, using 5 items where 3 would suffice.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
Just curious, anyone agree to removing all 3 fave, yay and neigh buttons and just leave the faved count/score visible from the thumbnail?
IAmAPony

More suggestions:

1. Picture file names must always include artist name. It’s the most important piece of information. All other tags don’t matter as much. If a picture is removed from the website, information about the artist must not be lost.

2. Tags watched by users should be given preference when generating file names (when clicking View or Download links). Looks like currently the most popular tags are included in the file names. However, this doesn’t help at all to distinguish art with rare tags. If a user watches “anal vore,castration,watersports” and a picture is tagged “male,explicit,castration,hundred-tags-no-one-cares-about”, then the file name should be like “123456__artist_name__castration+explicit+male+other_tags”.
trashboat

Professionally Depressed
@IAmAPony  
But what if the Artist’s name is Unknown? Or It’s Something like an Exploitable meme? (I May like them, But They don’t really need artist names)
Background Pony #5149
@IAmAPony
But what if the Artist’s name is Unknown? Or It’s Something like an Exploitable meme? (I May like them, But They don’t really need artist names)

Indeed…
-Lunacy

I find the upvotes and favs being with separate icons than the buttons is redundant.  
It works just as fine having numbers right next to the button, it conveys the same thing, but with less space used.  
Although I did notice the arrow turns into a down arrow when the score is negative, so i dunno.
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

I also miss that it previous showed more clearly which pictures you had not just faved and upvoted, but downvoted as well. It is completely missing that I already disliked an image, without clicking it again. Rather irritating if you ask me.

And I still think it is kinda illogical that I have to click on an image to down vote it, why should I want to see it bigger if I can tell from the thumbnail that i don’t like it? But if I want to fave or up vote it, which is much more likely that i actually want to see the picture bigger anyway, I can do that from the thumbnail. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Also isn’t this kind of behavior much more “unwanted” travic? Plus I think that you actually have to click on it, will generate more negative commentary in the future.
IAmAPony

@IAmAPony

If there’s no artist tag, then just skip it. What is the problem exactly?
Clover the Clever
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
@IAmAPony
You’re saying that You want artist names to be required, If that happens, You wouldn’t be able to skip it

No, he’s saying that if we have an artist: tag we should always include it in the filename for non-short filename variants (ie where there’s tags in the name). That’s not an unreasonable suggestion and we’ll look at it.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

Well bag me a possum, you guys actually went with trying this other look.

Thank you and appreciate your work on this. :)  
Now to wait for the reactions, good and bad…
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide