Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Damaged
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

Word Bug
@TheGlitchedWolf  
Caveat: I am not staff.

When I was recently adding the API endpoint to get user data, I had initially tossed into the plan to make a /search/profiles, but then when I went to actually make it, I realized there was nothing on the site to search for users.

When I asked site admins, they told me this was by design, so I doubt there will be a way to find users in that manner.
Background Pony #F2D5
@Damaged  
I’m sure it’s for privacy reasons, and it’s one of the core beliefs of the site from what I remember.
Background Pony #14DE
It’d be helpful if the site displayed an image’s file type, size, and dimensions on the upload page. It might help curb the accidental uploads of lower size and quality images. It might also put a stop to people trying to upload WEBMs from twitter only to end up with a PNG of the first frame in the animation.
Rene_Z
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artist -

I just noticed that the form “Copy and Customize” doesn’t have the checkbox that allows us to make a public filter. This seems a bit counter intuitive, and hides the possibility of creating a public filter from unknowing users. Right now I have to manually copy over tags if I want to create a public, slightly modified default filter for example.

I don’t know if it’s always been this way or if this changed with Philomena.
Background Pony #2DBF
The picture with highest score in past 3 days is in over 100th place in trending.  
A single downvote can kick a picture back by multiple spots. Like 25 in one of tests.

Get back to normal score sorting.
Rainboom Dash
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!

Rainbooms4Ever
I think having the option to load the “medium” video thumbnails would be awesome  
Currently it loads the “thumb” ones which are blurry and while I understand doing that for gifs would take too much bandwidth I don’t see why it isn’t an option for video thumbnails

Wait.. on the video I just tested it’s 83mb for the 800 x 450 (medium) stream with ~5mb of audio included  
okay.. maybe not a good idea
clean
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

The power of tags. <3
@Background Pony #C2CE  
This is because the default sorting method for top scoring is now Wilson score. You can scroll to the bottom of the top scoring page and change the sorting method to “sort by score”.
Rainboom Dash
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Rainbooms4Ever
@clean  
wilson score looks terrible tbh  
>>2312352 is down a couple of spots because it has 2 downvotes? pfft  
I mean, I understand the concept but it’s WAY too sensitive how 2 downvotes with 100s more upvotes makes it actually lower
Background Pony #39D8
Why was it changed to use wilson score in the first place? Seems like a huge downgrade to me…
Brokedownandmadeone
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Artistic Detective - For awesome dedication to sleuthing out and maintaining artist tags and links
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Equality - In our state, we're all equal here!

BigThirsty ponybooru.org
Wait.. on the video I just tested it’s 83mb for the 800 x 450 (medium) stream with ~5mb of audio included
Okay, why and how. The max limit for the dang original uploads are 25MB. The heck goes on that they more than triple in size?! Unless I’m greatly misunderstanding something here.  
I think the WEBM banners + ‘screencap slideshows’ are the best approach for thumbnails. But I know not everyone’s gonna like that idea because they want to see a full preview of the video.
Rainboom Dash
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Rainbooms4Ever
@Brokedownandmadeone  
yes, original stream is 25mb  
All the streams it made including the original uploaded one is 853mb, lol  
full  
The “large” one is 164mb so if you have “scale large images on” and you’re zoomed in enough/viewing on a low res enough screen you’ll get a recompressed 720p stream that is 164mb instead of the higher res 1600 x 900 one I uploaded that is 25mb

There’s another issue.. it uses crf=18 which is extremely excessive for x264 with 2160p for all iOS encodes so like the “pony girl” video I uploaded, original is 25mb but site one is 206mb  
So if you want to view the full resolution stream that isn’t the 720p scaled one on your iOS device, you’ll need to download 206mb  
164mb: https://derpicdn.net/img/2020/3/19/2300875/large.webm  
206mb: https://derpicdn.net/img/view/2020/3/20/2301711.mp4

One of the devs is wanting to use cpu-used 5 instead of cpu-used 3 which will take 1.5 to 2x the file size for similar quality at the expense of taking probably not even 2.5x longer to encode which it doesn’t take T H A T long to begin with so..  
Now the quality is kinda high right now and file size can be lowered but it should be lowered with same cpu-used.. otherwise file size will have to stay the same

I could be wrong on how much longer it takes because I don’t have the same CPU as the server but regardless it’s not worth 1.5 to 2x higher file sizes imo
Rainboom Dash
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Rainbooms4Ever
@Background Pony #68A2  
But it’s not a bug  
one: It’s VP8 which sucks… two: a ton of speed optimizations are being used which cut efficiency… and one of the devs wants to cut it down even further with the next settings rollout which will increase file sizes 1.5 to 2x for similar quality.. to be fair, the file size could stay the same with the faster settings since the quality is a bit high right now… I understand the cpu is shit and it takes a long time to process but… I don’t think it’s worth it.. keep compression settings the same and lower file size 1.5-2x imo

Also the recompressed streams are a lot of times HIGHER file sizes versus the original.. usually by only like 50% but in this case I using some pretty hefty compression to get it on the site while the site uses same settings  
But scaled does NOT mean lower file size… it just means it’ll load a lower resolution video so it fits on your monitor better  
buuut.. there should be code you can use to do that so.. yeah, I have no idea

And as for the 206mb for highest resolution stream viewable on iOS devices… they just need to lower CRF to like 24 for 2160p… crf=18 is EXTREMELY excessive for 2160p content… maybe 720p it makes sense but not 2160p…  
Also they are using a merange of 16 for 2160p content which…. that could certainly be raising file size as well
Background Pony #0F89
It’d be handy, in the tagging autocomplete drop-down, if instead of just showing (0) on tags which are aliased to something else, it said what that alias is (and that one’s tag count, I guess).
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

I accimadentally clicked [Cancel] instead of [Save tags] and when I clicked [Tags] again it had cached all the tags I’d added; I just thought I’d say that’s a nice feature I appreciate having.
Background Pony #0F89
I don’t see a data field in the Forum Search to search within a specific forum, am I mistaken? Wouldn’t one be useful?
Background Pony #2C2F
I noticed that for twitter, it now lets you grab PNG files if that’s the default size. For instance:  
  1. Go here https://twitter.com/carbiid3/status/1256391729110024204 (questionable)

2. Right click on the image, open to new tab. It should go to https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EW-Y6hhXgAAqlTt?format=jpg&name=large (Questionable)

3. Notice the size, 1080x1920 at large. Changing it to name=orig keeps the same size. So instead, change url to  
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EW-Y6hhXgAAqlTt?format=png&name=large

Note: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EW-Y6hhXgAAqlTt?format=png&name=orig does NOT work.

This gives a png version of the pic, but at the largest size it had shown. The fetcher doesn’t do this at the moment, and instead fetches the jpg version. Can this please be implemented to obtain the png if it’s the largest size?

Edit: Not sure if changing name to “name=4096x4096” works as well for most cases, need to check more images. If so, that’s even better than “name=large”
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide