Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Soundwavezzz

An Aspiring Director
I apologize if this is an inconvenience.
But I have a question about searching images.
I wanted to know if there was a way to mass hide old images, so I could see new ones without hiding tags, or if there is a system like e621 has where images are sorted by the date they were uploaded.
NeutronStar
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Three featured images instead of one.
Three images wouldn’t be too difficult to maintain.
It would be easier to decide which images to feature, because if there are close choices, there would be no need to only choose one.
More arts get chances to be seen by more people.
Implementation example:
“Featured Image (See All/More…)” instead of the current header above a featured image.
Clicking on “See All/More…” would open all three currently featured images.
It would be like with trending ones, but chosen manually.
There are two variants of how to go about the shown image:
  1. Show only one, the best out of three, as decided by the site’s staff.
  2. Cycle through all three, a few seconds delay.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Forwarding a discussion in the tagging forum about associative tagging to here.
I’d want to post a link to the idea here to gather more comments before I submit a feature request over on the Philomena GH project.
IMO, this would be an improvement but it may be for a Philomena 2.0 that only gets used by future boorus that don’t have 2 million images to convert. It’s not that the conversion couldn’t be run: it’s that most images will retain their legacy tags and only new images and old images that tagging nerds see will have the new associative tags.
If my understanding is correct, associative tagging would let you tag AJ as an Equestria Girl, Dash as race-swapped to a unicorn, and Rarity as fully-humanized with that level of granularity.
JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
A tag embed that works like image embeds, but instead of an image it produces a similar tag box you see under images and in tag search, etc. that can be clicked, filtered, etc.. It would make posting in the tagging forum a lot easier, as you don’t have to manually create links to tags you want to alias/imply.
So if you’re making a post and you type this:
Foo bar >>/tags/preening baz quux
You’d get this this (interactive, of course):
Perhaps this “inline” tag box’s height could be reduced, so its vertical alignment with the surrounding text looks better.
EDIT: The syntax is just an example. If >> is used, then “/tags/” is needed because there are some tags that are fully numeric, so it would be impossible to distinguish between image X and tag X where X contains only numbers. But with a different syntax, even the “/tags/” part could be omitted.
Background Pony #0F89
I’d like to suggest that tags in the autocomplete dropdown get colored based on their category, and also that tags in the “fancy tag editor” field get colorized with their categories (currently, they’re all green).
For that matter, maybe tag categories should do more than change the color - they could have a small superscript-like string that displays over/under the tag that states the category?
This would help stave off the misapplication of unintuitive tags, which have recently been discussed in the tagging forum, such as:
Right now, the only way I know to present any up-front information about the meaning and use of a tag is via the tag’s name itself, like the “(food)” suffix on the tag for edible gingerbread, which turns into a lot of potential inconvenience with setting up aliases or making the tags harder to search for in the first place.
On a related note, I’d swear that tags’ short descriptions would appear as a tooltip when hovered in the interface - but that doesn’t happen, currently. Am I remembering that wrong? Anyway, that’s still too easy for people to miss, when it comes to the purpose of guiding the usage of tags.

@JP
Yes, please. (7 year old suggestion, but you did add more good detail)
@Background Pony #2A5F
@The Smiling Pony
This suggestion (also from 7 years ago) sounds wonderful, too - to display what implications a tag will add as you’re tagging. It’d be fantastic if they’re shown beside the items in the autocomplete dropdown, too.
JP
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
I’d like to suggest that tags in the autocomplete dropdown get colored based on their category, and also that tags in the “fancy tag editor” field get colorized with their categories (currently, they’re all green).
This would be a wonderful addition. I don’t know how many people would pay attention to it, though.
This would help stave off the misapplication of unintuitive tags…
Add “stump” to that list. People use it when they meant “tree stump” and end up implying amputation.
On a related note, I’d swear that tags’ short descriptions would appear as a tooltip when hovered in the interface - but that doesn’t happen, currently. Am I remembering that wrong?
I have a faint recollection of this happening at some point in the past. Perhaps it took too much resources and was removed? The old RoR codebase wasn’t the fastest around. (Pure speculation, of course. Or failing memory.)
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
Still does
Takes a second (so you don’t get constant popups when moving around the tags), and there just really aren’t that many tags with a short description.
Background Pony #0F89
@The Smiling Pony
That’s weird, I swear I tried it just before I posted. Yes, on tags that have short descriptions, like ratings.
But, I’m pretty confident that it doesn’t do that while you’re in the process of editing tags/uploading new post, nor in the autocomplete dropdown, which is where people extra need to see what tags mean.
digit

It’d be cool to have special support for stereoscopic pairs
For the uninitiated, a stereoscopic pair, often referred to and tagged as a stereogram, is a pair of images representing slightly offset views of the same scene. When one image is presented to the left eye and the other to the right eye, the brain fuses the two images into a single, cohesive 3D scene. Stereoscopic pairs can be presented in a variety of formats for various viewing methods (mainly freeviewing, viewing with those red and blue glasses, and viewing in VR). Any given format can easily be produced from the original images.
At the moment, the format of the pair (and naturally, who is capable of viewing it,) is decided by the uploader.
A stereoscopic viewer could be implemented using JavaScript for no additional server overhead. The stereoscopic pair could either be stored as a single image server-side and separated by the client or could be stored as two images server-side, which would slightly complicate the implementation but would have no lasting cost, and would reduce client loading times for large images.
The linked repository includes my implementation using the HTML canvas. It is functional but has significant room for improvement (see the readme for details). The implementation loads the two images from the folder in the webpage. Naturally, this would be swapped out for the method Derpibooru currently uses to obtain the image.
Note that the anaglyph generator requires reading from a canvas that, unless this webpage is served from an actual HTML server, will have been loaded from the client. This is disallowed for security reasons. If you want to try out the anaglyph generator without starting up an actual HTML server, it is possible to disable the security feature on chrome by starting up the browser from the command line with the --disable-web-security option. You should never browse the internet with this feature disabled.
I’m not clear on the details of implementing this on the actual website, but ideally it should be about as simple as adding some html and/or js and putting a button linking to this page above posts. Possibly only above posts tagged as stereograms. More in-depth integrations could be done, but that would be the easiest.
It would really improve their accessibility and hopefully encourage this medium, which I think is a really cool one.
digit

Some uploads are wall-eyed, so crossing your eyes won’t work for those, you have to look through the image, which is harder to get down. Some uploads are also anaglyphs, where you’ll need 3D glasses. The effect is also stronger and less painful on the eyes through a viewing device. With the converter, any stereogram could be viewed with whatever method the user prefers. Also, some are not capable of viewing either cross-eyed or wall-eyed stereograms at all.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
Is there some way to test out an in-development tagging tool without using a live database (regardless of if on here or on another Philomena-based booru) as my tagging sandbox?
The reason I ask is that I’d like to make a tool to help out the Rare Tag Hunters. It would take a query for related tags and return a grid of images. Left-click on those that contain the rare tag in question and right-click those that affirmatively do not contain it (a.k.a. it will be removed if present). Otherwise, the tags will be left alone.
If there is not a testing playground, is there some subset of images that tolerate minor tag vandalism during testing or a set of tags that are reserved for testing purposes?
saby
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
What you describe is near identical to the batch tagging tool site staff has access to. As such, I’m positive it would not be allowed to be used by non-staff users.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@saby
Batch tagging permissions can be granted to non-staff, but it’s rare, and tbh people wanting the permission may as well just apply for Site Assistant and explain why it is they want batch tagging.
Background Pony #0F89
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
That functionality sounds similar to the Bulk Tag Editor userscript by Marker, with a couple tweaks for workflow (eg. alternating add and remove without changing entered text)
But to answer your question, Philomena is open source and you can run your own instance (not that I’m saying whether it’s easy, or not - I’ve never tried)
Also - I’m not staff so this is not an official policy interpretation, just my take - tagging accidents happen. They’re not against the rules per se. Find some old, uncontroversial, low-interaction images, test on those (using tags that are relevant), and when you’re done, clean up after yourself by leaving the tags in a correct state, preferably even better than when you began.
@saby
I really hope not - Marker’s Bulk Tag Editor userscript is indispensable and is a big part of how I’ve earned the Cool Crow badge for prolific, accurate tagging. To learn that it’s forbidden, and just hadn’t been noticed yet…
saby
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Red is Sprout, yellow is Hitch, you are a lout, and also a bitch.
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

extra fun at parties
@Background Pony #0F89
Don’t take my word on it as the be-all-end-all, I’m a very new staff member after all.
Also now I kinda want a special badge for earning Cool Crow with 100% manual tag edits :P But I guess I can just blame myself for working hard and not smart.
PUBLIQclopAccountant
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
Glad I got this discussion before writing out code. If I can get it to work, the userscript that @Background Pony #0F89 pointed out already covers the exact use case I had in mind (in this specific case, searching for goat to find which ones have a rectangular pupil).
Now I know that if I continue the project anyway (perhaps because the userscript remaining recalcitrant):
  1. The goal will be an excuse to learn the Seesaw GUI framework for Clojure rather than to be a tool for community use
  2. The best testbed would be to mirror the changes I’ve already made here on one of the other boorus
  3. (most importantly) The executable will be a .jar file rather than a .js browser extension
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide