Feature suggestions and discussion [READ THE FIRST POST]

Noir-B
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab

beauvoirferril0
The ability to hide certain comments or posts. Maybe if I see want to see a sweet image of Scootalove and then I see a cynical comment, I just want to not see it.
It might cause less arguing.
Perhaps to the right of Reply there can be a Hide button, to not see what the comment or post says.
And if you want to see the comment again, just press the button.
Or perhaps just a feature that hides the comment section for you.
🐴
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL 🎠 stallion
@Noir-B
There’s a browser extension called ShutUp.css that hides the comment sections on ALL websites and makes the internet tolerable again. It also works on iOS Safari.
Background Pony #0F89
@Badheart
What do you mean? You want an option to disable it? (WebM loops by default.)
Besides, you can right-click to select or deselect looping, though maybe that depends what browser you’re using.
Wiimeiser
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Wallet After Summer Sale -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
@JP
I fixed it so now only 作者:欧塞勒斯 has any images under it right now, unless there’s a counting glitch. I don’t know what that tag means, so unfortunately I didn’t change it.
Background Pony #F786
If the onion service was read only for users that weren’t logged in (where users can view images but can’t comment or do anything but read, as if they were banned from Derpibooru) would be great, but does it even matter since all of the images still come from the clearnet (derpicdn.net, which along with having to create an account with your actual IP ruins the whole point of using onions)? Does anyone even use the onion service?
byte[]
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
  • images are served from clearnet because there is no benefit not to (they’re served over https, and exit nodes can’t fingerprint you that way)
  • previously, read-only access for anonymous tor users was allowed. login is unfortunately required now due to actors abusing the tor service to bypass rate limits
Background Pony #F786
@byte[]
Wouldn’t exit nodes still see that you’re on Derpibooru? I wish there was an onion service that didn’t require login (how often did they abuse tor to bypass rate limits and how big of a problem was that?), an onion only booru would be great, but I don’t have the time and money to maintain one.
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@Background Pony #F786
Exit nodes can see that someone was using derpibooru but you would be looking at a nation-state adversary attack to do a traffic correlation to find the end user. Remember the flow for clearnet over Tor is
Entry <-> Guard <-> Relay 1 <-> Relay 2 <-> Exit
which not allow the exit to learn anything about the entry.
When I was responsible for implementing that change, the attacker abused the rate limits 24/7 with hundreds of requests per second and since it was Tor-based we obviously were not able to find who it was. The login prompt put a permanent stop to it.
Background Pony #2A5F
@byte[]
I thought the whole point of onion services was to avoid clearnet and exit nodes? (It also allows hosting websites anonymously, but that’s not applicable to Derpibooru.) If the images go through clearnet, user might as well visit clearnet Derpibooru through Tor. Or am I missing something?
EDIT: what if all Tor connections were rate limited as if it was one user account making them all?
Background Pony #0F89
When the resized scaled-down version of an image has a larger file size, the site should just serve the original. For example, NSFW >>2828170 the “large” version is ~100KB larger than the full res.
UnderwoodART
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Just Another Pink Pony
Could you please add the tag tooltips to the edit tags section? I keep on adding tags that make logical sense, only to find that they have a specific meaning after mousing over the added tag and having to immediately remove them again.
For example, but not limited to, “Solo Female” makes logical sense for any image with one female character in it, but the tooltip defines it as specifically sexual. Also, the “Friendship is Magic” tag makes sense for any G4-related image, but is specific to the episode of that name (clearly shown as yellow after the edit, but during it looks like any other tag). To that end, it might also be helpful to have the tag colours in the editor too, but I’d settle for the tooltips alone.
It might also help to note in the tooltip which other tags are applied when one is added, to save time adding redundant entries. That’s just a minor suggestion, though.
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
Unless things have changed since when it was last discussed, and I don’t have a reason to believe they have, the changes are purely technical in order to solve a number of issues when using the site on mobile, with no real effect on how the site is displayed / behaves on desktop (or tablets, I guess).
🐴
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
@The Smiling Pony
Thanks for the info. I know from experience that forum listings, in particular, get cropped in mobile views in the current design (notably, number of replies and link to most recent post are omitted from portrait mode on phone-size viewports).
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
We have lots of tags from Chinese users who use the U+FF1A FULLWIDTH COLON instead of the “normal” ASCII colon.
I just started to wonder if it would be a smart idea to automatically convert them to normal ASCII colons when the tags are saved?
I still think this would be a good idea. I’ve been fixing a lot of fullwidth colon tags lately. And the worst is, the uploader does not seem to understand why I’m altering the tags and tries to “correct” them back.
Markiz93
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Proud of being Polish
Is there a way to change the sort of searched images by default? I would prefer sort by image ID instead of initial post date.
JP
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
If everything mods have told me about comment removals is true, then you’re going to need better comment mass deletion tools. The .mov spammer is making so massive runs these days it’ll take an entire day to clean them up using the current one-at-a-time system.
🐴
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL 🎠 stallion
When the only new post(s) to a thread—whether in the forums or image comments—are deleted, the notification should be suppressed.
UnderwoodART
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Kinship Through Differences - Celebrated the 11th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Just Another Pink Pony
Could we get the do-not-post list sorted into lettered categories, please? It’s so long at this point it’s quite a hassle to narrow down a specific entry within a list of page numbers, especially when only six are shown at a time. If that’s not comparable with the code, a search bar would be nice at least, if it understands partial entries.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide