Hiding Poll's Closed - Results and Next Steps

Arcaire
Ten Seconds Flat - Zero to booru hero in under 24 hours.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
A Perfectly Normal Pony - :^)
Always Codes Drunk - In the Zone

Systems / Ops Alumni
About five days ago (give or take a couple of timezones) we launched a neato survey of the userbase in light of the recent downvote/hide feature switching. In order to concrete some actual results, we’ve closed the poll and are using the 1427 responses we received to actually direct our way forward.

For those interested, I’ve released the results here.

I mentioned a couple of times that the staff responses were not recorded as part of this survey, but we did intend to release them. 32 staff took the survey as well, and you can find the responses here. There’s no real reason for taking them separately other than for people to see a potential difference in opinion due to a different perspective.

Couple of things we noticed during the course of the survey thread being open:

• The staff generally match the userbase in terms of opinions  
  • Nobody likes reading the previous posts, but everybody wants to make sure people read their post  
  • A lot of people misuse or misunderstand the definitions of the words ‘hugbox’, ‘oppression’, and ‘dissent’

We’re working now on an in-site survey functionality so that we can actually perform this sort of thing more frequently regarding feature ideas we’re throwing around. Whether or not it’ll have a free-text entry in the form of a thread attached to it remains to be seen.

Going forward, the results of the two surveys (combined, as a single number) will dictate how we go forward with regards to implementing this particular feature. The majority attached to each answer will be the primary driving force as to whether or not we go with a particular decision.

Here’s a summary of the intended changes to the site, which will be occurring as one batch over the next few weeks, and will be rolled out as one item the end of the development. This is based on the feedback we have, and may change slightly depending on developmental or administrative constraints.

• Hiding will be introduced as a third function.
  • Downvote count on images shown by default, to all users, but users can change a setting on their profile to hide downvote counts being shown to them.
  • Hide count on images not shown to users.
  • Downvoting an image will not trigger a hide on an image.
  • The sum score will continue to be upvotes minus downvotes, hiding an image will not affect the score.
  • The ability to downvote an image will remain on index pages.
  • Downvoting an image will be possible even if a user is hiding the image via a filter.
  • Downvoting will not require a pre-filled comment.
  • Artists may not hide the downvote or hide counts on their images.
  • The standard rules of vote manipulation will not change. Mass hiding will not be restricted by vote manipulation rules.
  • Hiding an image will unsubscribe the user from that image’s comments.
  • Downvoting an image will not unsubscribe the user from that image’s comments.

For the sake of staff sanity, complaining about hugboxes, oppression, feelings (or the hurting thereof), or freedom of speech in this thread will be met with a 3-day suspension from the site. This is in addition to the normal site-wide rules, because we’re pretty tired of it now that it’s been repeated ad nauseam.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
Really interesting, gotta say I’m relieved looking at these results.  
For how tied the response was on whether or not to display hide counts, it makes sense that a lot of users want the option to turn them on/off in their settings. I’m noticing the results on downvote-triggered hides was also close (practically 50-50 on the staff survey), would it make sense to include this as a user option as well?
Background Pony #4292
@Arcaire  
I really, really like the last link in that post. I don’t know whose quote I’m reading, but it was an entertaining read. Excellent song remix too.
Marcus Todjel
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Artist -

Now, working in webs
So, in short. Results will be like the users opinions. And if you do polls here… Can be for everyone? Create a thread and give the option to create a poll in first message
Arcaire

Systems / Ops Alumni
@Arcaire
I really, really like the last link in that post. I don’t know whose quote I’m reading, but it was an entertaining read. Excellent song remix too.
So, in short. Results will be like the users opinions. And if you do polls here… Can be for everyone? Create a thread and give the option to create a poll in first message

I can’t imagine this being a good idea whatsoever. We already have enough bad behaviour to moderate. I have nightmare visions of “dae haet le toxic mario?” with the options being “yes” and “yes”. No thank you.
Background Pony #07C3
So, what I took from this is that now we need a Hide pony to go along with Downvote. A younger sister, perhaps?
Nonymous
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

You fucked up, TSP.
Agreeable results.

Well, if we do get the hide option, perhaps you could have it display like;  
[Fave button][Upvote button]~Like/Dislike ratio bar~[Downvote button][Hide button]
tuypo1
Non-Fungible Trixie -

• The staff generally match the userbase in terms of opinions

I feel it proves the exact opposite, how you are able to make such a blatantly untrue statement with a straight face baffles me.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger

Tag horse
@Arcaire  
If polls were entirely a standalone feature, then yeah I could see it being a nightmare trying to sort through the garbage. But if users were restricted to using them on the forums, which are already neatly divided by category and have varying degrees of professionalism, I don’t think it’d be any worse than the blank canvas forum posts offer. Of course, it makes sense for staff to be able to put them elsewhere, such as in the sidebar or as a commentless, standalone thing for major site surveys.
Arcaire

Systems / Ops Alumni
@tuypo1  
Seek assistance from your closest optometry practice.

@WingbeatPony  
We have no immediate plans to bring polls to the userbase at large. It may become a developer’s side-project but at the present time we have this (and other things) to work on.

@Marcus Todjel  
Not sure yet.
tuypo1
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@tuypo1
Why don’t you read the links to the survey results, hmm?

They can’t seriously expect us to believe those results.  
Either the results were staged to make it look like the staff were less out of tune with the users or the staff were not allowed to publicly give their true opinions.  
They don’t match up with forum posts at all.
Arcaire

Systems / Ops Alumni
@tuypo1  
We’re the janitors for a multicoloured pony appreciation station. We’re not a government.

Stop posting in this thread.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
@tuypo1  
Honestly the OP warned you and I cba with this sort of retarded discourse. If you really think we’d rig a poll on a My Little Pony site, I suggest you go elsewhere.
SuperSupermario24

fluffy sylveon
The only thing that bothers me was that Joey told people like half a dozen times that the survey would be open for a total of a week, but then suddenly after only 5 days it’s closed without any sort of forewarning.

On a different note, it’s worth mentioning that 32 people apparently took the “staff-only” version of the survey, which is definitely not anywhere close to the total number a lot more than the number who posted their opinions in the associated thread.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: