Markdown Migration

JP
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I miss the show so much
I was wondering, now that you’re doing some major rework on this stuff, would it be possible to detect hotlinked on-site images and automatically convert them to embedded syntax? Many people just don’t know how to use embeds so they hotlink and then they can’t be clicked.

Like this (it hurts to post this because I know how wrong it is):  
full

Could be turned into this:  

Ie. if the embedded URL matches the regexp ^https:\/\/derpicdn\.net\/img\/view\/.+\.(jpg|png|svg)$ (or something like that) then the image number can be extracted and converted.
Background Pony #2D8C
@Princess Celestia  
I’d like to intensely request that there remains a no-parse-block syntax (and it must be able to contain new lines and empty/multiple line breaks) - I use that all the time when copying over post descriptions in which there are smilies or punctuation (hyphens and asterisks especially) that would be eaten by the interpreter, without having to hunt down and escape them one by one, and without making the font go all monospacey.
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
@Background Pony #2D8C  
I can’t really do that, but I could add a button to the editor to escape all markdown syntax in the current input or the portion of the input that you have selected.

@JP  
That’s not as easy as you may think… the way current Markdown parser works, it’d be way too much work. Although, might be a nice suggestion for later.
BigBuggyBastage
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Go fsck yourself
…I could add a button to editor to escape all markdown syntax in the current input.

That’d be an excellent idea. Could avoid a lot of headaches from those who don’t want to deal with Textile OR Markdown syntaxes – not that I’m one of them, but I can understand their frustration. I have enough fun dealing with C/C++, Python, Bash, Perl, and Sed script syntaxes.

EDIT: just now, I had to edit my post where it says ‘C/C++’ because it parsed the ‘++’ to ‘____’. 🤪
Sollace
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
A Really Hyper Artist - 500+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

I am the night!
@BigBuggyBastage  
Yes please!

Markdown is so annoying in how it highjacks so many symbols I would otherwise want to use for other things.

Edit: Alternatively, can it be made a preference? Similar to how Fimfiction lets you disable rich paste, an option to disable all parsing when posting from my account.
Sollace
Lunar Champion - Led the charge of major battles for the New Lunar Republic, bringing swift and crushing defeat to the forces of the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends

I am the night!
@JP  
Seconded! It’s also useful because the embed allows the site to apply filters and optimise the resolution for the display device. (maybe display tag/uploader info at some future data - that would be cool)
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops

Small changelog  

• Code blocks look different  
  • There’s a space inserted at the end of each line to preserve Textile-like appearance of lines  
    • This fixes stuff getting broken if there was an empty line in the middle of it  
  • Static pages are now rendered using unsafe Markdown
Sollace
Non-Fungible Trixie -

I am the night!
Got another bug(?):

I tried doing a spoiler but forgot a few pipes, and it came out as italics…

|It's unusual. That makes it hot.| :moustache:

becomes

|It’s unusual. That makes it hot.| full
🂾𝕃𝕚𝕟𝕔𝕠𝕝𝕟𝔹𝕣𝕖𝕨𝕤𝕥𝕖𝕣𝔽𝕒𝕟🂽
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Best Fans Forever - For supporting the site
Nocturnal Vision - For supporting the site
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.

Goodbye guys ;)
Click on Spike. He’ll take you to the Derpibooru page for that image, and then you can click on the emotipony tag to see many more emoticons. Or just click here. :)

Thank you so much :3
The Luna Fan
The Luna Fan - For Patreon supporters
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

At The Edge Of The Rules
@rdmlp  
I agree, we sometimes give the staff a hard time, but we know that you guys always give your best, so thank you for keeping the ponies coming!
Background Pony #2D8C
@Sollace  
@☬ lincolnbrewsterfan ☬  
That’d be far too much a nuclear option - for example, then you would not be able to quote or even write linked replies in the forums or comments.

@Princess Celestia  
Is the line-break change applying retroactively? For example, in the description of >>2706766 (which was submitted during this hybrid textile-markdown phase) the empty lines appear narrower than a full line height.
Background Pony #2D8C
So, I’m having a look through https://www.markdownguide.org/ and trying stuff out. For the sake of moderation heads-up, there are a few ways that text can be included in a message that wouldn’t be immediately apparent. (Not that this was impossible before - for example, you could have made a link with a rude message in it - but one can now also put alt-text on links and images allow me to write here my screed condemning the ship between moustache and spike and including a copy of my graphically explicit fanfic instead shipping a mullet with spike because of course I have the least opinion of humans and assume that anything exploitable WILL be exploited

Looks as if IDs for headings {#are-not-enabled}

But then something odd happened. I tried the syntax for footnotes,[^1] and when I preview the post, it says “Preview failed to load!”[^bignote]

[^1]: So we’ll see what happens when I try to submit the post.

[^bignote]: Here’s one with multiple paragraphs and code.

Indent paragraphs to include them in the footnote.

{ my code }

Add as many paragraphs as you like.

It wasn’t even Markdown, according to byte[], but in the textile-Markdown converter. Looks like footnotes aren’t part of the Markdown engine in use.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide