Patreon Pledge Removal Thread

Iamunknown
"Fuck TSP" Tombstone - For supporting the site
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
Hi all, it seems nearly all groups have had their respective threads (DNPs on both sides, posts from users and very little from mods) but I haven’t seen one for Patreons yet. To that end, this thread is to bring awareness to the fact that Derpibooru is very much funded through their Patreon page it serves to offset costs of running an archive of pony history.

If you are not happy with one or any the following, I urge you to pull your pledge from Derpibooru’s Patreon. This site is funded by the fandom, used by the fandom and survives with our continuous generosity and charity. I urge you to consider if these actions are valid uses of both your money and your endorsement:

1. Shadowbanning 600+ users for downvoting certain tag combinations  
  2. “Invisible mods” that don’t show up on staff pages  
  3. TSP’s ultimatums  
  4. TSP marking individuals for targeting via a “mystery badge”  
  5. Poor treatment of certain individuals both on the mod team and in the community by admins  
  6. Terrible communication to the community resulting in broken trust  
  7. Something you care about greatly (Please @ me and I’ll begin compiling)

Remember, at the end of the day TSP controls the servers but we control the cashflow. If you’re a shmuck like me who is or has been a patreon, (5+ years in my case) please consider joining this pledge to drop your pledge unless these issues are addressed.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
I really doubt your “600+” figure and think it was way less, but the number is irrelevant - while the principle of shadowbanning people for one (ideologically determined) thing while actively making excuses for all similar things of other ideologies is relevant. Also, the staff have absolutely atrocious communication even between themselves.
FrecklesFanatic
Charitable Contributor - Contributed to a series of art packs that helped raise over $10,000 for charity
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Artist -

@Barhandar  
Nah, I had friends who usually dont give a fuck about anything political and got shadowfilters for downvoting 1 or 2 BLM pics, so 600 doesnt sound unreasonable at all.  
It wouls still have been a shitty thing if it had been just 1 thought. Same with the slow down thing
Iamunknown
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
@Barhandar

If you check the mod chat (can’t link here for site reasons), check [05-Jul-20 02:12 PM]. If you want to see the mods surprised by the feature, a bit earlier in that chat (around [05-Jul-20 02:05 PM]) should give better views as to how the admins are unaware of the tools that some of them have used.
Iamunknown
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
@Barhandar  
Furthermore (and I’m considering adding this to the OP) if you check [05-Jul-20 02:21 PM] you can see that this was going to be expressed to users, but was instead implemented in secret.
Amm
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Shoutout to Cammy
The funny part of the shadowbans and shadowfilters is that they considered the shadowbans (throttling a users connection to the site and making it take 5-6 seconds to load every page) less bad than an actual ban. Which is insane to me.
Iamunknown
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
@Amm  
From what I can understand the shadowbans / filters were different from the slowed site ones (“discourage bans”, which according to the mod chat were so evil that there’s only been a few handed out).
Background Pony #5AFE
@Iamunknown  
Might add that the recent changed to moderation means Derpibooru is no longer an archive of pony history, it has become a blogger about a subset of pony history at best.
Background Pony #4E02
full

derpibooru makes more than enough to cover it’s cost. about 500 to 800 USD more than the server costs.  
And a new patreon just joined who is apparently very pleased with the direction derpi is going and he alone is 1/6th of all donations now.

If you want to stop “donating” to TSP, now is the right time.  
You don’t even have to worry for this sites survival.
Iamunknown
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
-@Background Pony #4E02  
I’ll believe your claim when I see that patreon badge on your post, Anon. Feel free to @me when you get it. Either way all that graph shows is it’s lost nearly 10 percent of patreons so far. Rolling back only one day you can see that giant spike is one individual throwing boatloads of money at it to try and influence the chart.full-

Would you happen to know anything about that?

Totally my bad, misread linked comment.
Rene_Z
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

@Iamunknown  
The BP you replied to didn’t say they were the new patron, just that one new patron with a huge pledge joined, which is the same thing you said. From the 10th to 11th the number of patrons increased by 1, and the pledge amount increased by $182 (it could be multiple patrons joining and leaving with smaller amounts as well).

Comparing the highest point before all of this (May 30, 284 patrons, $1219) to the lowest point (July 3, 256 patrons, $1081), they lost 28 patrons (9.9%) and $138 (11.3%). The text below the ads says they need $25 per day to operate, which is $750 per month, so even the lowest point is well above the costs they need to cover.
Background Pony #F04B
Personally, I’ve seen this behavior from some of them for years, which is why I never was a Patreon. I’m also surprised that people are just now seeing just how things really are. TSP always seemed like someone to be afraid to talk to because of their negative reaction to so many different users. This isn’t new. They call other users names yet they aren’t affected by any of the rules, much like most mods are, as they’re all friends and biased as well. It all comes down to if they like someone or not.

I also had tried to talk to one of the admins about moderator behavior through email a long time ago, which nothing was done and I was ignored after several attempts. They know what they’re doing and they do not care. I quit this place long ago but I only came to respond here because I had wondered how long this would last.
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
Hi all, it seems nearly all groups have had their respective threads (DNPs on both sides, posts from users and very little from mods) but I haven’t seen one for Patreons yet. To that end, this thread is to bring awareness to the fact that Derpibooru is very much funded through their Patreon page it serves to offset costs of running an archive of pony history.
If you are not happy with one or any the following, I urge you to pull your pledge from Derpibooru’s Patreon. This site is funded by the fandom, used by the fandom and survives with our continuous generosity and charity. I urge you to consider if these actions are valid uses of both your money and your endorsement:
  1. Shadowbanning 600+ users for downvoting certain tag combinations
  2. “Invisible mods” that don’t show up on staff pages
  3. TSP’s ultimatums
  4. TSP marking individuals for targeting via a “mystery badge”
  5. Poor treatment of certain individuals both on the mod team and in the community by admins
  6. Terrible communication to the community resulting in broken trust
  7. Something you care about greatly (Please @ me and I’ll begin compiling)
Remember, at the end of the day TSP controls the servers but we control the cashflow. If you’re a shmuck like me who is or has been a patreon, (5+ years in my case) please consider joining this pledge to drop your pledge unless these issues are addressed.

1. All discouragement bans have been removed, and the feature itself is slated for removal from the philomena code. Also from what I can see there was a grand total of… 6 discouragement bans  
  2. We have implemented a feature that doesn’t let moderators be hidden anymore, instead they display on the staff page as “Unavailable”.  
  3. We did not go through with them, and have instead decided to take a more democratic approach.  
  4. The Mystery Badge has been removed completely.  
  5. We try to treat everyone the same, even if our personal opinions might be biased, which leaks into what we say, but often not what we do.  
  6. We are improving our communication and transparency, which is evident from the threads that we made lately.

But no, we are so terrible, true tyrants, never listening to feedback… [sarcasm]
Iamunknown
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -

TSP = AFU
@Princess Celestia  
I appreciate the post and thanks for clarifying. Would you happen to have any more information about the forced filters? I wasn’t super clear with #1 but mod logs appear to state that it affected around 600 users. If you need a timestamp I can absolutely get you that for reference.

Again, thanks for the work you’re doing. These past 48 hours have been a step in the right direction regarding transparency and acting in good faith and that’s much appreciated!
Background Pony #27DB
@Princess Celestia  
Your not sorry for what you did, your just sorry you got caught. If those chat logs hadn’t got leaked you would still be denying all those things ever happened. Even now your persisting in a course of action that by your own poll no body wants, you keep saying “Just trust us guys” before immediately proveing again that your not worthy of that trust.
Frosku
Artist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)

Vox Exercitus
@Princess Celestia
Your not sorry for what you did, your just sorry you got caught. If those chat logs hadn’t got leaked you would still be denying all those things ever happened. Even now your persisting in a course of action that by your own poll no body wants, you keep saying “Just trust us guys” before immediately proveing again that your not worthy of that trust.

Just a minor correction: staff didn’t start the poll, I did, though it does show exactly what you’re saying. On an aside, I’ll repeat again that I wouldn’t put too much credence into what staff say in a staff channel when they’re stressed or venting. I have been in a lot of staff channels on a lot of sites, they’re usually full of that kind of thing.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide