Poll on hiding exploitable memes

The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
Based on feedback from this thread and left on the poll’s questionnaire, we (by which I mean Clover) have implemented a new way to handle filters. Talk about that here.
The Frowning Pony

Administrator
13 blinks per minute
And results!

Or look below!

full

WHAT THIS MEANS:

That we’ll be tagging these kind of images with, “exploitable meme”, duh…

full

WHAT THIS MEANS:

We aren’t going to hide the tag. While more people would want that than not, it’s not an ample enough margin to warrant hiding another tag in the Default filter. Overall, though, the number of people that agree it’s an issue (‘hide’ + ‘dunno’) is over 50%, and from going through responses roughly half the people in the ‘don’t hide’ field agree that there’s a problem but we’re awful people for even considering and should feel bad. And 21 people have a burrito.

So, what we’re going to do is enforce this new ‘exploitable meme’ tag onto images that merit it. Mostly this will be done via the Implications system and dev hax on older images. People not wanting to see these images can use the tag to blanket filter the whole shebang, or use the handy “no meta” system filter. Which brings me to…

WHAT WE’VE ALREADY DONE:

We implemented the Filter presets feature thing. We didn’t have plans to do this any time soon, but from feedback in the forum and the questionnaire, we decided it should have a higher priority. Yes, the solution we had was not the best idea there was and we took community feedback to do something better.

That’s kind of a thing we do, and how a rather large number of site features came to be; if you have an idea for something that can make the booru, let us know! Do you think you can help directly (moderation, coding, something else)? Let us know!

Anyways, any questions, yell at me/us or ping us on the forums.

tl;dr: I didn’t type all that to give you a bloody one line tl;dr.

Grudgingly yours,  
The Smiling Pony

On a side note, the number of people voting is just about the number of unique users that land on the site every few minutes. We need to figure out a way to make more people participate in these things.
Heroine Addict
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Pedantry Executive
I find this satisfactory, especially when combined with the new filter system. We can control this kind of content, but don’t have to avoid it altogether. Thanks for your work.
Ace_Straight

It’s over already? Agh. TSP said that this would most likely run until Monday or Tuesday. I didn’t get to vote, and I was in favor of template meme.

I haven’t voted before now because I only saw this when it showed up on the news ticker and I was thinking about the hiding question. But I would have voted before now if I didn’t think think this would run at least until Monday.

I was conflicted on the hiding anyway. Some people were saying that not hiding it would lose new people, others were saying that hiding it would. So I’m fine with how it turned out.

Nice touch with “I don’t care - I have a burrito!”
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

@Background Pony  
The fandom came from this being an awesome show and fans reaching out to other fans across the board so they could geek out about it together. 4chan did not invent the concept of Pony fandom, and it never was– and never will be– fundamental to the implementation of it.
Background Pony #41DC
@TexasUberAlles  
You can say that about any bit of history though - things would have probably played out similarly even if some important historical figure didn’t exist. If Alan Turing wasn’t born someone else would have designed a similar model for universal computation. If Albert Einstein never existed I’m sure someone else would have worked out the maths behind special and general relativity. That isn’t an excuse to just rewrite history and say that these people weren’t important though.

It sounds to me like you just bitterly hate 4chan and don’t want to admit that they were the first, and certainly the largest site where Bronies (a term coined on 4chan) got together to watch the show and discuss episodes. So many of the “core” fandom memes (used in the scientific sense) originated on /co/ and /b/: “bronies”, “love and tolerate”, Derpy, etc.
TexasUberAlles
Duck - If report count was a score, he'd have the biggest score
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab

@BinaryPony  
@Background Pony  
Jayzis, is the entirety of /mlp/ made up up of delusional narcissistic colon-gazers these days? You people did not invent the concept of adults liking this show and talking to other adults about it.

Hey, congratulations, /co/ had some of the earliest organized fan activity; woo hoo. I’ll bake you some celebratory cookies and you’ll just have to trust me that I didn’t drip shampoo on them. During however long a time delay there was between episodes airing and them showing up on youtube for channers to make the first “cum inside Rainbow Dash” jokes, there were already millions of people who had watched the episodes live on The Hub because they were previous-Gen fans, or Faust/Renzetti/Strong fans, or Hasbro fans, or animation fans, or cartoon animal fans, or had seen ads/promos/previews and checked it out, or watched it with their kids, or any one of a million different ratings-countable reasons in the first month alone.

None of you are special.
Background Pony #4DC1
@BinaryPony
@Background Pony
Jayzis, is the entirety of /mlp/ made up up of delusional narcissistic colon-gazers these days? You people did not invent the concept of adults liking this show and talking to other adults about it.
Hey, congratulations, /co/ had some of the earliest organized fan activity; woo hoo. I’ll bake you some celebratory cookies and you’ll just have to trust me that I didn’t drip shampoo on them. During however long a time delay there was between episodes airing and them showing up on youtube for channers to make the first “cum inside Rainbow Dash” jokes, there were already millions of people who had watched the episodes live on The Hub because they were previous-Gen fans, or Faust/Renzetti/Strong fans, or Hasbro fans, or animation fans, or cartoon animal fans, or had seen ads/promos/previews and checked it out, or watched it with their kids, or any one of a million different ratings-countable reasons in the first month alone.
None of you are special.
The fandom as we know it probably wouldn’t exist if it hadn’t become popular on 4chan, a lot of the common culture in the fandom originated on or derived from 4chan, and it is an undeniable fact that 4chan has a huge impact on the wider culture of the internet and has done for years. You may not like it but it played a significant role in the development of this fandom. Deal with it.
Background Pony #41DC
@TexasUberAlles  
4chan didn’t invent the idea of liking MLP, but they sure as hell invented the idea of being bronies. I’m not sure why you’re so desperate to distance yourself from them.
Mad Black
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Speaking Fancy - For helping with translations
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

They invented the term, but adult pony fans and their online communities long predate both FiM and 4chan. Period.

Yes of course that is true. But the “brony sub-culture” was put into mainstream by 4chan and sides like this. Sometimes as memes and sometimes just to troll people. But the phenomenon what it is today, with big conventions and such many sides dedicated to it, is thanks to this media and that it has gotten viral all over the internet. Most of us wouldn’t be here if they wouldn’t cached it on somewhere else.  
Even considering that in the beginning there have been only a few “hipsters” from the previous generations, or fans from Faust. It wouldn’t be quite the same as it is today. Of course they played their part too. But I bet most Bronies saw the show first somewhere on the internet, and not on the Hub.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Champions of Equestria

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide