Rule #0 Policy Refinement Feedback Thread

Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
This is to centralize feedback on our current policy refinement. This thread is not for arguing who is and is not a Nazi, the validity of any DNPs, etc., but only on whether you think the policy is good or bad, and why. We will not hesitate to delete posts trying to get into political arguments with others.

WIP redrafting of Rule 0 based on feedback so far:
  • Do not post content whose only apparent purpose is inciting anger, arguments, or controversy.
  • Do not harass others or try to incite violence against them. Harassment can include namecalling, slanderous speech, or other forms of abusive language.
  • Do not discriminate on personal characteristics (e.g. race, sex, or religion) or advocate for doing so (such as using a mouthpiece to say racism is good).
  • Criticism is welcome and encouraged when done so in a constructive and helpful manner. However, using baseless, unconstructive criticism as a veil for the purpose of insulting or attacking an image and/or an artist is not allowed.
  • This rule applies to all images, comments, forum posts, and private messages, along with all other interactions you may make on this website.

Results of internal polls can be found here. Please note that these were only used to figure out the wording, and do not indicate whether an image will actually be deleted or not.
Background Pony #0176
Would it be possible to get some sort of thought process on the images that are deemed ok / not ok?
Amm
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Shoutout to Cammy
Doesn’t “promotion of” already cover “propaganda for”? It seems like it’s just extra words that make the statement more awkward.
Background Pony #5C8B
The WIP policy idea is as follows: “Content containing blatant hate speech, or promotion of or propaganda for prejudicial views”

I like it.
Background Pony #DC5C
I don’t see any form of “compromise” working, because both sides are split so heavily on the issue to begin with.
Background Pony #56B5
I think all images with slurs or corruptions of slurs (like changing the n-word to the “z-word”) should be deleted under rule 0, which clearly states:

Do not troll, attack, insult, name-call, or otherwise try to intentionally antagonize another person or group of people. This includes making racial, sexual, homophobic, or otherwise demeaning slurs, or posting similarly abusive content.

Ergo, every image, comment, and post with the n-word ought to be deleted under this rule. It absolutely blows my mind that the staff voted to keep multiple images with either the n-word outright or an obvious analogue for it, while seemingly arbitrarily banning others.
SkeeterTL
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Kingpin Lurker
Question!

Why no site-wide announcement?

This seems like the exact reason you should use that system that’s in place.

Honestly, I’m tempted to call those polls null and void cause of that.

~STL
Background Pony #5C8B
@Background Pony #DC5C

Majority of people on both sides can still compromise.

There’s a limited number of people on each side, who see the world as black-and-white only, and have a very binary thinking.

I think that we shouldn’t really worry about those few very vocal people with binary thinking.  
They can just stop using the site if they want. Or, if they will be trying to cause some danage, to ban them.
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Background Pony #0176  
Certainly. The first poll was mainly about images we were well and familiar with already, and the idea we settled on while voting was to get rid of images that appear to be promoting racism, not just any where racism was happening.
Background Pony #56B5
@aperture_tech

It’s not about “getting what I want.”

It’s about the existing rules and whether these images are in violation of them. I think it’s clear as day that they are. Rule 0 says “no slurs,” images have slurs, ergo they should be banned.

I didn’t write the rules, I’m just reminding people of what the rules say.
Background Pony #8B3F
As someone supporting anti-censorship as a general statement and who is not on board with the sweeping ‘nazi bad’ claims, I think this is a decent step of compromise. It stands against direct hate speech while still being supportive of parody and putting artistic freedom at least in consideration alongside personal beliefs and stances.

It would be really nice to see some more details on the poll. The way the poll was laid out, and the results. Names omitted, naturally. But this will give a better frame of understanding how the question was asked and how it was considered by the staff team.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@SkeeterTL  
This thread is a bit to get feedback from the site as a whole. Remember, the policy statement in the first post is a WIP idea, not a final thing.
Background Pony #9BF5
I think I can agree to all of these, except maybe that first image in the okay list. I suppose it isn’t a promotion of racism, since it’s being portrayed negatively, so maybe that’s why.
Background Pony #5C8B
Yeah, would be interesting to see at least the percentages for both options: okay and not okay.

To see how many people on the staff were supporting either of those two options.

No names are necessary.
Background Pony #F329
Thank you for posting the results like this and opening for feedback, the attempt is appreciated despite concerns on whether it’d be followed for various reasons.

or promotion of or propaganda for

Missed a comma, but what’s the difference between these two in the eyes of the staff?  
It seems redundant as propaganda always promotes it’s subject, and promotion of a subject could be construed as propaganda for it.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

This topic has been locked to new posts from non-moderators.

Lock reason: Changes announced