Search by file type?

Site and Policy » Search by file type? Search Posts
šŸ“
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL šŸŽ  stallion
Does this functionality exist? As far as I can tell, only gifs and WEBM can be searchedā€”and that is because those types are tags.
For that matter, are those tags automatically added based on uploaded file type or is it up to the community to ensure they are correctly tagged?
Posted Report
Background Pony #176E
There is also mime_type: - Iā€™m not sure if or how it differs from original_format: though.
Posted Report
šŸ“
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

IRL šŸŽ  stallion
Oh joy, if I wanted, I could make 10s of thousands of tag updates applying the gif and webm tags to uploads of said types that do not have said tags. Donā€™t worry, I wonā€™t actually do that unless asked.
Iā€™ll have to keep this thread in mind when I need to power search in the future.
Posted Report
Background Pony #176E
@PUBLIQclopAccountant
You could also make 10s of thousands of updates removing those tags because they are arguably obsolete, because you can search and filter using those queries - likewise, pixel_count: obsoletes low/high/absurd resolution tags, size: obsoletes ā€œabsurd file sizeā€/ā€œabsurd gif sizeā€, aspect_ratio: obsoletes tags like 16:9 and ā€œthumbnail is a stickā€ā€¦
ā€¦except that itā€™s clear that simple tags that you can click on to filter or watch are already close to the limit of usersā€™ understanding of how to use the site, so those tags still might have a purpose to make things easier for them.
(The site didnā€™t always have the ability to search by these attributes, which explains why these tags existed in the first place.)
Iā€™ve proposed in the feature request thread that data-related tags like these get automatically handled.

FYI: these search queries are discoverable by performing any search, then scrolling down to the search bar below the thumbnails and checking the ā€œSearch termsā€ dropdown. The supported fields section of the search help page is out of date.
šŸ“
Non-Fungible Trixie -

IRL šŸŽ  stallion
@LightningBolt
As well as PNG, BMP, PDF, ASCII art (j/k no text files hosted here), aPNG, TIFF, WEBP, JPG, JPEG-2000, JPEG XL, and probably some lesser-used formats that slip my mind at the moment.
@Background Pony #176E
Thank you for the FYI. I would not have made this thread if the search help page were in sync with the full list of supported fields.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide