Viewing last 25 versions of post by Background Pony #1057 in topic Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Background Pony #1057
[@Princess Celestia](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232222#post_5232222)
> What would you like to see in a complete UI redesign of the site? There's one in the works, so suggestions are welcome.
At least on desktop, I would want it to be broadly identical.

I've made some personal tweaks via userstyle/Stylus browser extension:
- Search field in top nav bar expands to utilize empty space: `.header__search { flex-grow: 1; margin-right: 2em; } .header__input--search { width: 100%; max-width: 100%; }`
- Top nav and image list pagination/current search string are position:sticky to the top of the window, but the dropdown menu bar is not. Also, when viewing an image, the image is layered in front of the sticky nav bar (ie. the space available for viewing an image remains the full window).
- The current search string is moved below the results pagination so the pagination is always in the same location, not moved over depending on the search length. The search string font is slightly smaller to keep that bar of the UI from being too much taller.

...and a couple I consider bug fixes:
- I've made the quick tag links and various others not overlap [(link to bug report post)](/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=5145477#post_5145477) and also a bit taller for ease of clicking: `.quick-tag-table__tab a[data-click-addtag], .profile-top__options a, .footercol a { line-height: 1.4; }`
- I've made the drop-down menus accept clicks on the arrow icon: `span[data-click-preventdefault="true"] { pointer-events: none; }`

Here are a few true UI suggestions:
- A way to have the "Search terms" etc. shortcuts usable with the top nav search field. They're currently available only with the search box at the bottom of the page. Maybe the `?` (search syntax help link) would become an on-hover menu with these?
- Everywhere there's pagination, have it present both above and below the content. Some places on the site, this is already the case (forums, threads, image search, DNP list) and some places it is only in one or the other (tag page, comment search, forum post search).
- Aside from where I mentioned above that I moved the search string down so the pagination would always be in the same position, I'd extend that philosophy to everything else: have controls' positions always be constant, not moved depending on arbitrary content. Another example is in the forum post pagination area where "Search Posts" moves left or right (or even line-wrapped down) depending on the thread title's length, or where certain information (like post date and reply count) and the Subscribe button are also moved or line-wrapped depending how many pages the thread has.
- This might be controversial but when viewing the first page, I'd also reserve/pad the space where `«First ‹Prev` *would* be, so that the pagination numbers are always in the same position regardless of which page you're actually viewing.
- On the reverse search and the upload pages, when you fetch an image, all the rest of the form moves downward because the thumbnail(s) appear - perhaps that space could be reserved so there's no jump? It might have to be a scrollable area because the quantity of fetched images is unknown and may require multiple rows.

Several things I could suggest are not so much *UI redesigns*, but instead the UI portion of more general *feature additions*:
- I'd love to be able to change, or at least *individually* enable/disable the site's keyboard shortcuts. (Does that count as UI? It's UX at least.)
- An option to show an image's original filename - which can be helpful for tracking down a source if the uploader didn't include it - could be nice. I currently am using a Tampermonkey script to make an API request to achieve this.
- I'd like an option to display actual date-times instead of "X ago" (I realize that the date-time is available as a hover tooltip, currently)
- It seems to me that since the "first seen at" date is gaining greater importance on the site, the date that's displayed when viewing an image should be the "first seen at" instead of the upload date like it currently does. Actually, why not have it say both: First uploaded [whenever] by [whoever]; updated on [whenever] by [whoever]
- I think "Edit" and maybe "Alternate version" might be worth having a thumbnail overlay for, like "WebM" does. (This is another one I currently have CSS for, but as an outline, not an overlay)
- It'd be handy to have a way to assign a name to sections of a complex spoiler filter, so if that portion of the filter applies, you'll see that name in place of "(Complex Filter)" on the thumbnail.
- I use "Scale large images down before downloading", and yet, the image is often still displayed at less than 1:1 pixel scale. This is fine - it's good to have the whole image visible at once - but it'd be nice for the next stage when you click the image to be to see the already-downloaded file at 1:1 before moving on to load the full size file. (I'd hacked this in with a delayed CSS :hover but it's annoying that way.)
- I would love to be able to "spoiler" based on **thumbnail file size** for the sake of my slow internet, but this isn't possible currently because thumbnail file size is not a searchable value, and also because "complex" spoiler filters still actually load the thumbnail [(link to bug report post)](/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=4911879#post_4911879) and it might not even work anyway because `size.gt:` doesn't seem to work in complex spoilers.
- **[Present tags' (short) descriptions](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=5135878#post_5135878) and possibly [their implications](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=773318#post_773318) in the autocomplete dropdown of the tagging interface; [color them based on their category](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=5178031#post_5178031).** *(Bold because I think this is very important.)*

---

[@Ciaran](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232279#post_5232279)
> OH
>
> MY GOD
I love that reaction so much XD ||never mind the original context||
No reason given
Edited by Background Pony #1057
Background Pony #1057
[@Princess Celestia](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232222#post_5232222)
> What would you like to see in a complete UI redesign of the site? There's one in the works, so suggestions are welcome.

- Search field in top nav bar expands to utilize empty space: `.header__search { flex-grow: 1; margin-right: 2em; } .header__input--search { width: 100%; ax-width: 100%; }`
- Top nav and image list pagination/current search string are position:sticky to the top of the window, but the dropdown menu bar is not. Also, when viewing an image, the image is layered in front of the sticky nav bar (ie. the space available for viewing an image remains the full window).
- The current search string is moved below the results pagination so the pagination is always in the same location, not moved over depending on the search length. The search string font is slightly smaller to keep that bar of the UI from being too much taller.

- I've made the quick tag links and various others not overlap [(link to bug report post)](/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=5145477#post_5145477) and also a bit taller for ease of clicking: `.quick-tag-table__tab a[data-click-addtag], .profile-top__options a, .footercol a { line-height: 1.4; }`
- I've made the drop-down menus accept clicks on the arrow icon: `span[data-click-preventdefault="true"] { pointer-events: none; }`

- A way to have the "Search terms" etc. shortcuts usable with the top nav search field. They're currently available only with the search box at the bottom of the page. Maybe the `?` (search syntax help link) would become an on-hover menu with these?
- Everywhere there's pagination, have it present both above and below the content. Some places on the site, this is already the case (forums, threads, image search, DNP list) and some places it is only in one or the other (tag page, comment search, forum post search).
- Aside from where I mentioned above that I moved the search string down so the pagination would always be in the same position, I'd extend that philosophy to everything else: have controls' positions always be constant, not moved depending on arbitrary content. Another example is in the forum post pagination area where "Search Posts" moves left or right (or even line-wrapped down) depending on the thread title's length, or where certain information (like post date and reply count) and the Subscribe button are also moved or line-wrapped depending how many pages the thread has.
- This might be controversial but when viewing the first page, I'd also reserve/pad the space where `«First ‹Prev` *would* be, so that the pagination numbers are always in the same position regardless of which page you're actually viewing.
- On the reverse search and the upload pages, when you fetch an image, all the rest of the form moves downward because the thumbnail(s) appear - perhaps that space could be reserved so there's no jump? It might have to be a scrollable area because the quantity of fetched images is unknown and may require multiple rows.

Several things I could suggest are not so much *UI redesigns*, but instead the UI portion of more general *feature additions*:
- I'd love to be able to change, or at least *individually* enable/disable the site's keyboard shortcuts. (Does that count as UI? It's UX at least.)
- An option to show an image's original filename - which can be helpful for tracking down a source if the uploader didn't include it - could be nice. I currently am using a Tampermonkey script to make an API request to achieve this.
- I'd like an option to display actual date-times instead of "X ago" (I realize that the date-time is available as a hover tooltip, currently)
- It seems to me that since the "first seen at" date is gaining greater importance on the site, the date that's displayed when viewing an image should be the "first seen at" instead of the upload date like it currently does. Actually, why not have it say both: First uploaded [whenever] by [whoever]; updated on [whenever] by [whoever]
- I think "Edit" and maybe "Alternate version" might be worth having a thumbnail overlay for, like "WebM" does. (This is another one I currently have CSS for, but as an outline, not an overlay)
- It'd be handy to have a way to assign a name to sections of a complex spoiler filter, so if that portion of the filter applies, you'll see that name in place of "(Complex Filter)" on the thumbnail.
- I use "Scale large images down before downloading", and yet, the image is often still displayed at less than 1:1 pixel scale. This is fine - it's good to have the whole image visible at once - but it'd be nice for the next stage when you click the image to be to see the already-downloaded file at 1:1 before moving on to load the full size file. (I'd hacked this in with a delayed CSS :hover but it's annoying that way.)
- I would love to be able to "spoiler" based on **thumbnail file size** for the sake of my slow internet, but this isn't possible currently because thumbnail file size is not a searchable value, and also because "complex" spoiler filters still actually load the thumbnail [(link to bug report post)](/forums/meta/topics/report-site-bugs-here?post_id=4911879#post_4911879) and it might not even work anyway because `size.gt:` doesn't seem to work in complex spoilers.
- **[Present tags' (short) descriptions](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=5135878#post_5135878) and possibly [their implications](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=773318#post_773318) in the autocomplete dropdown of the tagging interface; [color them based on their category](/forums/meta/topics/feature-suggestions-and-discussion?post_id=5178031#post_5178031).** *(Bold because I think this is very important.)*

---

[@Ciaran](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232279#post_5232279)
> OH
>
> MY GOD
No reason given
Background Pony #1057

- Search field in top nav bar expands to utilize empty space: `.header__search { flex-grow: 1; margin-right: 2em; } .header__input--search { width: 100%; ax-width: 100%; }`

Almost Severyal things I could suggest are not so much *UI redesigns*, but instead the UI portion of more general *feature additions*:

---

> OH
>
> MY GOD
No reason given
Background Pony #1057

-
Everywhere there's pagination, have it present both above and below the content. Some places on the site, this is already the case (forums, threads, image search, DNP list) and some places it is only in one or the other (tag page, comment search, forum post search).

Almost everything I could suggest are not so much *UI redesigns*, but instead the UI portion of more general *feature additions*:

---

> OH
>
> MY GOD
No reason given
Background Pony #1057

Almost everything I could suggest are not so much *UI redesigns*, but instead the UI portion of more general *feature additions*:

---

> [@The Smiling Pony](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232276#post_5232276)
>
OH
>
> MY GOD
No reason given
Background Pony #1057

---

> [@The Smiling Pony](/forums/meta/topics/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread?post_id=5232276#post_5232276)
> OH
>
> MY GOD
No reason given