Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
This thread is for feedback on recent and planned changes to the site. We give you descriptions, screenshots, and site updates; you tell us what’s wrong with them.  
Suggestions for things we aren’t currently doing or about to do go here  
Bug reports go here

Ground rules (break these and you will be rapidly banned):  
  • Stay civil and SFW  
  • Give reasons for something being good or bad, e.g. “It’s visually distracting” instead of “It sucks”  
  • Keep feedback mainly about the effects of the changes, not the intentions behind them (tell us if we’re not meeting our intentions, but don’t get into tirades about them)  
  • Keep on-topic
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Obviously, the hot topic is the metabar. It’s now spaced-out and uploader is left-aligned. The plan is to have artist credit on the left and uploader on the right, and spacing out seemed the appropriate way to go.  
There’s been a lot of feedback on it being not great on wide monitors.  
The main thing I want to know is whether just going back to left-aligned will be good enough not only for the now, but for when we have both artist credit and uploader credit (on opposite sides). Furthermore, ideas on what to do for the centered layout would be appreciated.

Additionally, the lack of “VS” and “DS” on the short-filename buttons has been a topic of discussion. The plan is to make a client-side setting for View and Download that determines which filenames to use, so there would only be the two buttons.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@Princess Luna  
I think the info in the metabar sitting on the left in left-aligned view would be ok.

I’d think the same could apply to Uploader as well. So if there’s an artist, the uploader is pushed away. but if there’s no artist, such as screencaps or the like, The area on the left isn’t just empty space.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Wallet After Summer Sale -

PSA: R0 was changed!
Why space out the metabar at the top? Now, instead of having all info in one relatively clustered space, I have to go out looking for these things that are on the other side of the screen. I rarely have to do that with anything else.

As for the centred layout, I believe that it should be the same as the left aligned one, but it’s just, y’know, in the centre.

I believe that “VS” and “DS” should be re-added to their respective buttons until this “feature” of yours is finished.

I do think that going left aligned for everything is a good idea. It will be the closest we will get to the old layout.

I know that these changes were done with good intentions, but the way it’s been done has caused a big kerfuffle, and some of the newer changes, such as changing the buttons, changing the spacing, and such, appear to be tangential to the original change, which was moving the uploader around. Why do they also now suddenly need to be changed? I don’t find that they do.

What exactly is it that makes it so hard to revert changes, and go back to what the layout was some three days ago? What hidden backend stuff has changed?
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag horse
@Princess Luna

@Zeb  
Not only do I recommend this, I think it’ll naturally resolve the issues of adding the artist credit if the content is allowed to flow inline and break almost anywhere it needs to.

As for the VS/DS buttons, I’m on board 100%. I just want to know: If the browser width changes dynamically (eg. switches to mobile layout from desktop layout), will this force all filenames to be short, or will it retain the user’s selected behavior and give long filenames on mobile? There’s an argument to be made for either one, and I think I could live with either one.

On the topic of artist credit, I think (if space permits) it should say at least something all the time: “Art by X,” “Art by multiple artists,” “Edit by X,” “Image uncredited.” Additionally, ’twould be cool to have it display the verified artist icon if an associated user is found on one of the artist tags.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@WingbeatPony  
It will not force it. Desktop just gets some words next to the buttons.

I think it will say “Art by” and then the first alphabetical username (or artist tag if no user links), with “et al.” if there’s more. We’ll see how it goes developing it.

Now, as far as metabar, this is what’s going up soon:  
full  
The centered layout will for the time being get some side margins so that it’s just like this, but, you know, centered (no more full-width bars and uploader way off to the side).
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@Princess Luna  
Hmm, I’m not really seeing what’s different about that, it still looks like sections of buttons and info spread across the full width of the metabar. Was that the right screencap, or did you change something subtle? If you did, the odd spacing overshadows it.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@WingbeatPony  
It’s kind of hard to see with dark theme screencap on dark theme post, but the metabar isn’t full-width, it’s the width necessary to not wrap when all numbers are maxed out, any extra width used to space out.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@Princess Luna  
Ah, now I see it. I think I’d like to see what that looks like at narrower widths, then, eg. mobile and limited display. I feel like you’ve made an assumption about horizontal space, since this metabar is still wider than the comment section.

I predict that there will be two major complaints: First, that the width is a bit awkward on large monitors because it doesn’t align to anything nearby (the closest element being the full-width title bar) and yet is not as narrow as it could be if it were fit to the contents (because of the additional space that’s still between parts of the metabar). Second, that things are still spaced and grouped like that; it makes for interrupted reading and puts links in awkward positions.

In short, I would rather have everything in the metabar huddled together in a full-width bar, and aligned either left or center depending on the overall page layout. The grouping and spacing of information is clunky and hasn’t provided any benefit that I have seen, aside from keeping related information together when line wrapping. The problem is, too much information is being kept together in that manner, and it’s resulted in some pretty ugly breaks.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Economist -

Tag-Bot
@Princess Luna  
I think the meta bars being only partway across would look very awkward. Especially right next to the full screen top bars.

Only other thought is to have much less forced space between the groups of icons.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@WingbeatPony  
To further clarify what I mean about it being wider than the comment section: That width is a good target to design for minimum width in desktop layout, as it is just on the verge of switching to the mobile layout and is where things are going to look the most cramped. It also happens to be about the width of 1024px displays and is kinda why that width is a target to begin with.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

PSA: R0 was changed!
@Zeb  
It does look awkward on a regular screen. The end of it doesn’t align to anything, it’s just kind of there.

Better yet, don’t have forced space between the groups of icons. They’re unnecessarily spaced out now, and just make it more of a pain to get to the buttons.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
We can’t make it comment-width without taking stuff away at present, but of course we plan to take some stuff away. I’d considered taking away the words next to icons entirely as well, but people seem to want them (on desktop, at least).

For now, the next planned change is to get artist credit up.
The Luna Fan
The Luna Fan - For Patreon supporters
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Crystal Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -

At The Edge Of The Rules
Wait, then, will you give us a heads up as to when you make changes to the site BEFORE implementing the changes on the site?
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

The Prettiest Catbird
Stopping in the middle of the page is really really awkward. I agree with Evan. Lets not force the large spaces between the groups, it doesn’t really add anything. And honestly, since you cant predict the width of any image. It’d probably be better to take the bar all the way across, even if the UI elements end sooner.
GyroTech
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

The Prettiest Catbird
Before deciding that we need to rejigger the whole UI just for the artist to be at the top, could we maybe trial the old style, and just add the artist in? Might get suggestions that will take this all in a more positive direction.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@GyroTech  
Well, the problem is this isn’t the only thing they’ve been working on (right now, I can see the last thing in the changelog is a minor revision to handling font faces from one of the other devs) and there’s no good way to roll back this feature without rolling back all those changes, too. Plus, it isn’t just like rewinding a clock; all sorts of processes and cached stuff on the site means backing up a step can cause weirdness. If this had been done as a branch or done locally on a testing server, then yeah a second take would be pretty easy. But the minute those changes got pushed to the live site it got complicated.
Marker
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Misanthrope
Would you consider moving the image size information back down to the row below? I’m not sure how much it will clash with the planned future changes, but currently the bottom row feels severely underutilized. Moving the file information there also serves to group information unique to each image (image score, upload date.. etc.) closer together.
GyroTech
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -

The Prettiest Catbird
@WingbeatPony  
I mean…a git rebase might require a bit of manual merging, but I cant imagine it being that extensive? Obviously not everyone is working on the same exact part at once.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@Marker  
What do you mean by “bottom row?” The metabar at the top of the page collapses into a single line on a wide enough monitor, and it’s generally agreed that the description should just be the description now.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide