Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Marker
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Misanthrope
I’m actually okay with the new download dropdown, the menu expands instantly and requires no additional mouse clicks and minimal movements. Though I find it strange the new layout emphasize the short URLs, I uses both with roughly the same frequency but always assumed the full filenames to be the ‘default’ one due to their prominence in the old layout.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
@Zeb  
I don’t have a good way to confirm this, but the buttons do seem more spread out in general, and not just because of the funky justification thing that’s going on. On smaller monitors like mine, everything’s juuust wide enough that the view and download button wrap to the next line, something I don’t remember happening when we had the VS and DS buttons.

Now, when my browser is exactly 1024px wide, something has to give to make it all fit. Dropping the labels from these two buttons early keeps it all on a single line all the way down to the point of fully switching over to mobile view.

I can live with the second line wrapping if usernames are long enough, but the first line ought to be short enough that this never happens. Can someone empirically confirm that more horizontal space has been added to the buttons themselves at some point during this update?

Edit: Just compared to the old screenshot I have. There’s no obvious extra padding on buttons, and the VS and DS buttons are way wider than anything I’ve hidden in the inspector. Something must just not be collapsing now that used to.
NamelessNP
Glim Glam - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ruby -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron

Starlight and Sunny Fan
Ok, the current version looks a lot nicer, the only problem I see is that dropdown menus don’t work on mobile devices like they do on pcs, tapping it immediately does the default action for that menu. But that’s an issue with other parts of the site too so not a huge deal.
WingbeatPony
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag horse
@Marker  
Now this is fascinating. Turns out, it did apparently wrap a single button? I feel like I’ve been gaslighted by bad CSS. But there definitely have been subtle changes.

Here’s a comparison to more clearly play spot the differences:  
full

I’ve added some red vertical lines to help visualize how things line up. Top row is the site as it currently looks, middle row is how that same page looks on the wayback machine, bottom row is current site again with the justify-content attribute removed so things actually flow from left to right.

What I’m noticing is that the slightly different icons are affecting the width in interesting ways. Look at the bottom two rows; note how the new random icon makes the new layout slightly shorter, but between the new fave, upvote, downvote, comment, and hidden icons it somehow all breaks even exactly at the edge of the galleries icon. But then, by the time we get to the view button, it’s much wider again.

I don’t know what to think anymore.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

This is a box.
Well, the layout is getting better again. (I like how it’s mostly a ton of rebuilding what had been achieved before. But someone just had to break it…)  
I always use the left-alligned layout, and I still want the full length meta bars back. Though then the size info will need a new place again. It looks weird, ending just in the middle of the screen. Same for tags, but I can live with them stacked up.  
It feels like it’s just a centered layout pushed to the site, to still support left-alligned people. And that makes it look weird. I chose left-alligned for reasons.  
Furthermore, while I always use short filenames, I can feel in what pain the long name people must be now.  
Menu everything or what ? It was working before this stupid mess of a change!  
And last but not least, mobile has an entire six rows of meta bar for me now. Half of my screen is basically menues and bars at this point.
Background Pony #1DCE
I agree, I want the ability to download long filenames without having an extra step
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@Barhandar  
I would rather we address the things that people have complained about more (the spacing, the width, etc) first, so that we know what room we have to work with, but progress is progress. I think we can agree that making the long view buttons disappear completely would’ve been worse.

I mean, down the road, there’s no reason why we can’t revisit this and make a user setting on top of it all as to which link is toplevel, right?
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@WingbeatPony  
The reason to be unable to revisit is, IMO, the whole point of why we’re here: changes train has no brakes and is stuck in full steam ahead.

Additionally spacing and width each take single setting to change (justify-content:flex-start and .image-metabar’s max-width: 95em instead of 60em) while I do believe restoring the buttons needs more.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Barhandar  
@Barhandar  
You’re edging awfully close to the line. I recommend stopping.

Also, it’s currently 80em. I’m not sure how 15 more ems helps, it’d just leave a massive bit hanging off to the right.
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Princess Luna  
It won’t if you also 95em the description and tags and the image (where applicable); aka old behavior with only the comment section being shorter than full width.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

Tag-Bot
I can’t remember if it was stated before, so sorry if I’m just repeating a question, But what is the reasoning/purpose of having the different groups have a set space between them?

Or of having the view/download buttons and image dimensions/file size attached to the right?
Rainb0wDashie
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Said some of this in the other thread

The icon bar is back to normal without those giant gaps but now the download button is defaulted without tags. I organize my pictures by tags and now not only is the button not in it’s normal place so I keep accidentally clicking the wrong things but now I’m download the short filename version by mistake as well because the long version is no longer default. Now I have to re-memorize where the download button is, hover over, and do an extra click to get the download I want instead of just having two fucking buttons like before.

What was so bad about having two different download buttons? Why are these design choices always one step forward and two steps back?
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Diamond -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The cutest griffon!
@Princess Luna

I’d say the meta bar taking up the full width with the small margins on each side look best, it is even and doesn’t randomly end.

full

The top is currently the site, the bottom is with .image-metabar max-width: 80em; and .flex–spaced-out justify-content: space-between; disabled.
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Diamond -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The cutest griffon!
@nirvash  
I’d also argue that having a full width meta bar is more consistent with the rest of the site design.

For example, if you search a tag, the top bar looks just like the second image in my example.

full
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@nirvash  
Just in case anyone else was confused by this, he meant disabling the max-width and justify-content attributes altogether, not disabling the justify-content but setting the max-width to some value. It is currently 80em wide at the moment and it’s a bizarre width, as well as a bizarre measurement by which to define it.
Barhandar

(twi|pony)booru.org
Given that people are asking for full-name being first as an option. I suggest restoring separate short filenames buttons with their icons slashed diagonally with upper half being the current icon and bottom half being an S.
SuperSupermario24

fluffy sylveon
Honestly I’m pretty okay with the way it appears now for me. The buttons aren’t unnecessarily spaced out, and the bar usually roughly lines up with the image size for me.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide