Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Yellow Man has no words
i am used to download pics with all tags with only one click almost not looking at the screen. Now, with download options stacked into inline-block, i have to make one click, watch carefully at dropped menu, then make second click. It becomes quite annoying now.

Is that possible to have an option in setting that reverses the logic of download menu dropdwon, that is, first visible “Download” button donwloads pics with tags, and second button that is dropped from the block is “without tags”?
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@ushiki  
What do you mean by making a click and then another?

Is it something that’s browser/device specific? Because the dropdown starts immediately on mouseover for me. So it’s still just one click.
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations

Yellow Man has no words
@Zeb  
yes, i misinterpreted. One hover move, some short wait, another hover move, and click. Comparing to “move the mouse and click somewhere there” is still somewhat disturbing.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
By the way, for those who haven’t noticed, there’s some minor changes to the post/comment UI (mostly making the two more unified and cutting down on the number of words, plus an icon for the post button).  
I have indeed noticed that the post button’s icon resembles a checkbox, and changes are coming to replace it with a little speech bubble icon. Write and preview will also get icons (in general, icons are helpful to make buttons easy to spot and tell apart).

This will probably be the last major addition of icons for a while as I’ll be transitioning to focusing on the artist credit work again and dealing with some moderator-only UI stuff.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

This is a box.
@Princess Luna  
I’d still like to have the metabar and tags full width. Guess tags were also a separator between image and comments for me. I can live with the tags, but please don’t let the bar end just somewhere in the middle. It looks bad.  
Lastly, can you make the “edit description” button consistent, maybe in the bottom right corner of the box ? It feels all over the place right now.

I can’t spot many differences on the comment/write thing, but I don’t have anything bad to say there. And yeah, speech bubble icon is probably a good idea. The pencil would probably be better for the “Write” tab.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

PSA: R0 was changed!
@Princess Luna  
That sounds un-intuitive, and seems to go against the whole “easier to do/use” bit. Why do the buttons suddenly need to be combined, again?

@Lead Pie  
Agreed. The metabar ending in the middle of nowhere doesn’t fit with the rest of the site layout; everything either ends in the middle (for the left aligned layout), or it’s full width. The metabar is just this horrid thing that ends in no particular spot.  
As I mentioned earlier, a full width metabar would not only be more consistent across images, but it’d also look nicer, and fit with the rest of the site. Y’know, like how the old layout did.

In regards to the tags: Why do they suddenly need to be constrained? There was nothing wrong with them being full width. They were easier to read when full width, and it took less effort to get down to the comments section. Now, with them being constrained, images such as the Community Collaborations take that much more effort to get down to the comments, because suddenly the wall of tags is about twice as long as it was.

@Princess Luna  
I really don’t see why the post button needs an icon, but that is far less distracting than the mess that the current metabar is in, so I guess it’s okay.

One final thing: Has the button spacing on the metabar been changed, or is it still that awful thing where it’s three groups of buttons? Because I’m seeing the latter, even after a hard refresh (ctrl + shift + R), and I don’t know whether that’s because it’s my end, or the site’s.
DoublePipe
Economist -

@Princess Luna  
There are a few non-stylistic issues remaining which ought to be fixed.

1. The View and Download buttons will wrap onto a second row on smaller viewport widths, taking up extra space. It would be better to hide the labels on some of the buttons earlier, so that no wrapping is needed.

2. Links in the extrameta bar have hover effects which aren’t consistent with other links on the site. They should probably just use a different text colour rather than having their backgrounds change since they’re not buttons.

3. The description box is always appearing now, even when it only contains No description provided and doesn’t include an option to edit. For regular users who don’t have the ability to edit all descriptions, showing it when it’s empty is an unnecessary distraction.

I’d be happy if you want to resolve these, but otherwise I can take a look at them next weekend.
Princess Luna
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
The metabar will likely get further work in a week or so. Right now, artist credit is likely the only UI change that’ll be coming in until then.  
View and Download could have their main buttons and dropdown buttons flipped, and that might happen soon; unfortunately, I don’t think we have any statistics available to determine if this would be a bad idea (people usually only complain when affected, so it’s hard to gauge how many prefer short filenames).
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The cutest griffon!
@Princess Luna  
The thing is, long file names was the default option before, with short filenames being on the side and abbreviated.

Looking forward to the metabar being fixed.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

This is a box.
@Princess Luna  
Why not just make them separate again ?  
I for example would be terribly pissed if you add an extra step for me everytime I just want to download an image without a mile long filename.
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Princess Luna  
I think that buttons should be separated, not flipped - you can access full res with long filename in two ways, but full res with short in only one. Unless you mean user-configurability which one comes first.  
Can they be made to merge if window width is too low?
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
+1 for separate buttons.

Either that, or an option for users to choose which one should be default.
PonyGhosts

#metoo
I already made a comment in the other thread, but I suppose this is the actual feedback one, so I just want to add that I too would prefer separate buttons or a settings option, particularly while things like “subscribe” and “related,” options I never use, take up so much room.
SuperSupermario24

fluffy sylveon
Having one option as a dropdown menu is only going to piss off the people who use the one that gets put under the dropdown. I think it should either be an option, or made separate buttons again.

In the event that the separate buttons are brought back, I suppose if you want to keep them as icons you could add an “S” or something to the short-filename buttons to distinguish them, if that’s possible.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Tag horse
This is my idea of my ideal, best-of-all-worlds situation for the view buttons:  
  1. User setting for preferred link type, to dictate which button becomes the default when things get narrow  
  2. Keep dropdowns for mobile and narrow views  
  3. Shrink labels off of metabar in general for limited desktop and reduce view buttons to dropdown as space becomes a premium  
  4. Expand view buttons to all four (and return VS/DS labels) if space permits

Btw, the icons on comments and forum posts look much better now, way less confusing.
Zeb
Economist -

Tag-Bot
Btw, the icons on comments and forum posts look much better now, way less confusing.

I dunno. For me at least, it’s starting to make things look kinda cluttered.  
And especially unessesary on things like the “write” and “preview” tabs.

It was said that space was a premium and some of the recent organization issues was because there wasn’t enough space to fit the info, and now MORE space is being taken up by adding pictures next to everything.

But I can admit that’s mostly a personal aesthetic issue.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Zeb  
Space isn’t at a premium in the comment box area at all, and Write used to be, on comments “Leave a Comment”. The idea was to replace inconsistent and redundant wording with quickly-recognizable icons (in part because us moderators were managing to mistake “Stick topic” for “Post a reply”; a big sign that buttons had issues with immediate recognition).  
I suspect actually that your feeling of clutter comes from the extra stuff moderators have; most people don’t have to contend with a loose pile of topic-control tools under the post box. I’ll fix that eventually, but it’s low priority unless we still hit the wrong buttons.
Zeb
Economist -

Tag-Bot
@Princess Luna  
The premium I was referring to was the uploader and meta-bars.  
And I had never heard of any staff having issues with the post/sticky buttons until you brought up that fix the other day. [Which, yes, I know that doesn’t mean it wasn’t happening.]  
And yeah “write” with an icon is technically taking up less space. But looks like it’s taking up more due to the icon standing out as something separate.

And as I said: Most of this is just personal observation/taste. Not something concrete/functional I have an issue with.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Zeb”:/meta/site-development-notification-and-feedback-thread/post/3668762#post_3668762  
Well, the metabar hasn’t had any additional icons added except technically the down-arrows (which came along with moving the icon-buttons into the dropdowns, for a net change of smaller icons).
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Princess Luna  
I don’t see how “post” on both posts and comments is more consistent than “post” on posts and “comment” on comments. “Post on both message input fields” is but I think most people are going to mentally separate the two.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide