Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@byte[]  
Well, no, not in this specific instance, but the end-user sense of “it runs fine now, so performance isn’t important” is ungood in general. We’ve all played Trespasser with all its amazing features and 10FPS gameplay.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Complexity is a bigger problem than performance for that case. Every additional bit of logic we add makes maintaining things harder, and we have like 4 developers if you count them in a very generous manner.  
The new approach of “just render the textile, have some CSS slot in words about emptiness if empty” is much easier to deal with when we make changes to image pages.  
I’m unsure what people dislike about it. Is it that it stands out? If so, that is intended so that people actually write descriptions. A lot of our images come with like no context and it can be a pain to understand what’s going on. As an example, here’s something I’d been confused about for over 2 years that eventually we rerated from explicit to safe because of a better guess of the context: >>1123761 (deleted)

Anyways, user link normalization has been done, and the UI should be a little easier to notice and get to creating a link. Artist credit will be coming soon.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Wallet After Summer Sale -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@Princess Luna  
But not everything needs a description. Often times, the image is self-explanatory. Or there’s nothing in the image that warrants a description. Take >>1694078 for example; It’s quite obvious what is going on within the image, so there’s no need to write a description.

What is the point in making it stand out when empty if no-one but the uploader and the mods can edit it, anyways? That’s not going to coax people in to writing them, it just wastes space. I see no reason for it to be there if there’s nothing to put there.

Honestly, if you want to coax people in to writing them more often, do that on the upload page, not the image page. Instead of having this piddly little box at the end that’s kind of half-forgotten, how about making it stand out more, so that people are more likely to notice it?

In any case, could you please give me some answers to some of my previous questions? @evan555alpha  
At this point, I just want some clarification.
Princess Luna
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@evan555alpha  
I’d actually quite appreciate info on the way that image was made or the idea behind the composition. It is at first visually confusing.  
Also, uploaders generally look at existing images before they become uploaders, and the upload page has the description form just fine.  
I’m also not seeing why it’s bad to have this little box there when it says it’s empty. Is it visually overwhelming, distracting you from the image, what?

Old question answers:  
Tags are constrained for view consistency. The old structure was essentially some things before tags in a narrowing box, tags having a conditional checking whether the layout is centered for whether to be narrowed, then everything after in a narrowing box. It made no sense and was a fair bit of unnecessary complexity that seemed to have no point except to let tags go off to the side of the screen, which may look good, but makes finding individual tags harder because on high width the eye tends to get lost along the row.  
I looked at the community collab btw and it took literally one extra movement of the mouse wheel with tags narrowed. I think we can stomach that on around .1% of images.

Buttons were combined so that the metabar could stop having two nearly-identical buttons taking up room, and so that we could make the mobile and desktop layouts more similar.

Post button has an icon so that it’s easier to spot with the eye. This was prompted because us moderators have another button a bit below it that was also two words with no icon. For regular users, the advantage of easily-recognizable buttons is less, but still there.

Metabar is still -three-four groups and probably will be unless there’s a major redesign. Note that this is what allows us to make the view/download buttons line up with the filesize/filetype/resolution information.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Lead Pie  
We have a fair amount of CSS devoted to changing things for mobile, but for View and Download it just removed the main buttons (so, good luck if you wanted the tags in the filename on mobile etc.). Currently, it removes the words “View” and “Download” instead, which doesn’t take away functionality.
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Diamond -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

The cutest griffon!
Currently, it removes the words “View” and “Download” instead, which doesn’t take away functionality.

Why not have the mobile version collapse the download links into a drop down, but on desktop they are separate. So we aren’t removing functionality?
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@nirvash  
That doesn’t really collapse so much as replace, you’d need a hide-desktop section for the dropdowns (not a big deal, but redundancy in view code isn’t great). It would also make the metabar wider on desktop.  
If we did make them not a dropdown on desktop, we’d probably want view view download download rather than the old view download view download, btw. Also note that width-saving measures previous to this dropdown setup left the buttons with too little information on the difference between them (you might know what the S in VS means and why it’s different than View, but that is something that can incredibly confuse new users).
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
Note that this is what allows us to make the view/download buttons line up with the filesize/filetype/resolution information.

Are we sure that’s preferable when the spacing keeps causing other aesthetic/design problems? Visually it can look awkward and oddly spaced depending on the monitor. And design wise, forced spacing just makes it more likely to be pushed down to a second line depending on the monitor/information within the bar.

Example: Any image with a score over 100 has the data forced into a second row. For me, at least.  
full

Another possible fix would be to return to having the metadata bar go all the way across the screen. Because right now it stands out as a sudden shortening of the bars and data right below the Site bars.

Right now we have:  
Full width Site bars.  
Comment width Imagedata bars.  
The image that is of variable size.  
Then everything else comment width.

If it went all the way across, we’d have:

Full width Site bars.  
Full width Imagedata bars.  
The image to break up the visual width.  
Then everything else comment width.
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

The Prettiest Catbird
Yes seriously, the nonfull width metabar clashes with how all the other site pages look with their bars. Please go back to full width already.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Tag horse
And before you say anything about the pony icons possibly being the reason why it wraps, let me remind you that images with two-digit scores wrap at my screen width, and apparently always have. If we’re going to try to address the issue completely, then it’s going to need a bit more clientside logic than simply mobile or not.

But before you stress yourself over edge cases and CSS being dumb, just remember that most of these complaints are in relation to two lines of CSS that, when removed, solve 90% of the complaints without any adverse effect.
evan555alpha
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Emerald -

@Princess Luna  
It is a distraction, yes. We never had this issue on the old layout.

Can we please go back to full width tags? The constrained ones look bad, and were fine at full width.

@Lead Pie  
This guy’s right. Stop trying to combine them. Please, please please separate the damned buttons again.

For the record: I said that I didn’t mind the icons. thanks for giving a bit of insight here.

@Zeb  
Zeb’s also right, but I want to add: That reasoning, that “making things line up” sounds like a dumb excuse to keep what is an objectively bad layout. Plenty of people have exclaimed their distaste for this grouping, and I have yet to see/can’t recall one instance where someone said that they actually liked it.

Seriously, you seem so dead set on consistency, yet the non-full-width, non-half-width metabar is the most inconsistent thing currently.

So, can we please do the following:  
  • Full width Meta Bar, because it currently doesn’t line up with anything, and is inconsistent between images.  
  • remove the grouping, because it plain looks bad.  
  • Split the buttons again, because people will be miffed no matter what else is chosen.  
  • remove the empty description box for those who can’t edit it.
DarthBarf
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab

On the profile page:  
>Content creator? Make a link!  
>[ Create new user link ]

What the heck is this? What’s the point of making it stand out so much? More importantly, how frequently people add their links for verification? It’s a huge annoying eyesore, especially giving the fact that only mods/admins can edit or remove these links - there’s no point in advertising it by turning it into a button or adding extra advertisement on top of it. It breaks the uniform design that existed prior.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
@DarthBarf  
I don’t see how it’s an eyesore at all. It’s literally just a button, like any of the others on this site. The link page itself hasn’t changed any, and still makes it perfectly clear that mods have control over them once they’re verified - and they do still need to be verified.

The whole point is to get more artists to use this feature. I’m not seeing the problem?
Binkyt11
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Philomena - For helping others attend the 2021 community collab
Best Art Program Ever - For artists who were courageous enough to draw something for the April Fools day.

Sleep isn't real.
@DarthBarf  
I say it’s pretty useful. Especially for new users. I’ve had to explain enough times already how to make yourself verified, so this will make it so much easier for everyone.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@DarthBarf  
I’m very confused as to why seeing a button on your profile page for if you need another user link upsets you. Do you go to your profile page to admire the beauty of it? Is some other, more important feature being pushed out of the way by seeing it?

Also, in my experience, about half of artists don’t know that user links exist, let alone how to make one, and many didn’t understand how to get a second one after their first (because there was no UI clue on profile pages once they got their first). This is rather needed especially now that we’ve moved to a setup that requires multiple user links when you want multiple associated tags.
WingbeatPony

Tag horse
In further defense of the user link button, I don’t think consistency for consistency’s sake is all that valid an argument here, considering that the way to access and edit other things in the profile sidebar - clicking the title of the section - isn’t all that obvious. I mean, just look at the “About Me” section. Anywhere else on the site there is user-editable content, there is a button either labeled “edit,” or the pencil icon signifying the same.

If it were up to me, I’d do away with the title link in both the user links and about me section. The first was made redundant by the (much more intuitive and purposeful) button, the second would perhaps be better served by a pencil-icon edit button either in the title bar or in the text itself, whatever we decide on for image descriptions.

Though if we really want to be consistent, I’d copy the style guide from other sections on that page, and put a link after the plaintext title, the way Recent Comments has a “View all” link. So, for user links, perhaps an “Add link” link, and for About Me, an “Edit” link.
DarthBarf
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Princess Luna  
>admiring  
Mocking your content creators is not the best course of action. I set it as bookmark for Derpi, so the unceasing flow of new art would not distract me from what I was supposed to do.
evan555alpha
Emerald -

Yes, thank you for reminding me just how much better the old metabar is.  
full  
vs  
full

Everything’s grouped up and left-aligned, no moronic spacing between things, full length, separate buttons. It really is the better one.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Upcoming metabar and header changes, numbers maxed to show worst-case:  
full  
Filter icon and more collapsing of words were added to improve the range of the limited desktop layout (800px-1150px, formerly 952px-1200px):  
full  
Mobile:  
full

Artist gets badges displayed, uploader doesn’t; sadly there’s no badges on my test setup to show this properly.  
And yes, that’s space-between but with three items. I wanted to use a grid layout to make artist line up in the middle column, but that will have to wait for a later redesign as it gets very complicated very fast.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide