Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

JP
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Guardian - Refused to surrender in the face of the Lunar rebellion and showed utmost loyalty to the Solar Empire (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.

I miss the show so much
@Barhandar  
Long live version control. Glimmerbooru was clearly branched from the master before March 19, which was when the madness began.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag horse
Princess Luna, I hope you’re taking notes. In the middle of all this holiday-themed mayhem, this thread has turned into people being relieved/praising the user experience they’re having with old aspects of the layout. If that stuff can work even in the face of Glimmerbooru’s zany color scheme and labels, then there’s something to it beyond mere familiarity.
DarthBarf
Hard Work - Merited Perfect Pony Plot Provider badge with only their own art
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ten years of changes - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of MLP:FiM!
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab

@WingbeatPony  
Yeah, this is the perfect example of why you don’t mindlessly start changing stuff just because you want to for some arbitrary reason and getting passive-aggressive because people reject your changes for being objectively bad. The exceptionally terrible change was done to Description block and I’m all hands to revert it to how it was. The extra icons for “Post” button, however, just added to sensory overload and should go away.

What we have right now, even if it’s an April Fools theme, is great and should stay (save for the colours, upvote/downvote buttons and KGB-esque labels, of course).
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

PSA: R0 was changed!
@DarthBarf  
Agreed. It’s nice to be able to use my muscle memory again. It also fits in well with the rest of the site, unlike the new “improved” one.

Although I’d probably still take it even if it did keep the KGB-esque labels.
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
What honestly aggravates me the most with the metabar changes is that you forcibly constrain its width and then complain about have issues with the buttons not fitting. Like, it’s complete absence of a problem if you just remove max-width. Same for justify-content: removing it makes the metabar spacing look nigh-exactly like pre-flexbox one, instead of the terrible spread-around with space-between.

Oh and the point for unconstrained width of the metabar was because it belongs to the (full-width) header, not everything below it. While tags being full width were because constrained width wastes space and doesn’t fit with the image (which can be full width).
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Image metabars now have full-width backgrounds.

Artist credit is coming soon, likely with a switch to showing the first 7 or so badges plus an indication if there’s more, rather than showing them only on artist. Long-term, badges may get a better sorting or some options to mark which ones to display, but short-term this will deal with “The Badum Problem” etc..
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

This is a box.
@Princess Luna  
I am glad to see them back now. But it makes your other changes look even more awful. Random floating info and tons of unneeded spacing. You saw a good example of a better layout yesterday.

What about badges like ducks ? Would they be forced shown ? And if you limit it do the “additional badges” indicator with a number please. I think people with tons of badges deserve to have people see what great work they did.
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.

Tag horse
@Princess Luna  
Hey, that’s a real step in the right direction!

Though I think the others in this thread have noticed that one existing problem has been made worse - the spacing. The content is still fixed-width, you’ve just stretched out the background. Again, this is a complete non-issue if the content flows according to the top-level alignment; there won’t be awkward gaps or chasms between elements in the metabar, and the information would flow more naturally.

I get the impression that you’re looking at the metabar as having six places to put information. Left, center, right, on two rows; as soon as the artist credit goes in the center bottom it’ll look much better, and so on. I guarantee you that it will not. It cannot. Spacing things to the far left and right makes sense in the title bar, because you have two distinct sets of information sharing one line: Site navigation, and user-related items. There is no such division in the metabar, horizontally. The division was previously row-by-row: One row for buttons, statistics, and so forth, the other for information that would never change.

In your effort to make things fit, please consider for a moment why the metabar used to have two different colors for each row, and why that made a difference. Then adjust your strategy of making things fit with that two-group categorization in mind.
Princess Luna
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@Lead Pie  
Any special logic can come much, much later if at all. The most important badges are generally first in the current ordering.

@LightningBolt  
There are no plans right now to change anything about how tags are displayed on image pages.

@GyroTech  
This would be unfair to those with longer usernames.
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Diamond -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

The cutest griffon!
@Princess Luna  
full

My current suggestion, leave View as a drop down, as it isn’t as used, split download into two buttons and let the icon explain they are download for space reasons. Remove justify-content: space-between;, push file info over to the right.
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary

The Prettiest Catbird
@Princess Luna  
Many of us have monitors that will easily display all badges though, making it silly to not display everything. On top of that, limiting it to 7 when more could fit is also is terribly unfair to those of us who have worked to earn our badges.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Emerald -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@nirvash  
“leave View as a drop down, as it isn’t as used”

Mate, I use view all the time to share images with friends, because the regular image link often times doesn’t embed properly on places such as Discord.

@Princess Luna  
So, I take it you have no comments on how all of us were relieved to have the old metabar back? You’re not going to say “hm, these guys clearly like the old one better, why not restore it to that”? Are you just going to try more of and push these silly “changes” in the hopes that we’ll suddenly like the new metabar?

Also: I really hope that you change your mind about tag displaying. It’s clear that multiple people want it back, including myself.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

This is a box.
@GyroTech  
Yep.

@evan555alpha  
So, I take it you have no comments on how all of us were relieved to have the old metabar back? You’re not going to say “hm, these guys clearly like the old one better, why not restore it to that”? Are you just going to try more of and push these silly “changes” in the hopes that we’ll suddenly like the new metabar?

Also this. So much this.
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.

The cutest griffon!
Mate, I use view all the time to share images with friends, because the regular image link often times doesn’t embed properly on places such as Discord.

That was more my point, where the view link would most likely be used for sharing, and the tag/no tag debate isn’t large. Though I could be wrong
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Economist -

Tag-Bot
Chill a bit people.  
Those comments were not even a day ago.  
I’m in the IRC and can assure you the stuff is being worked on, talked about, and examined. No need to keep repeating yourself everyday.  
Sure, a poke after Luna posts an update or talks about a change is good. But I’ve been seein some people just repeat their posts when barely a day has passed.

I’m not askin ya’ll to just sit back and stop talking about it completely. Just sayin you shouldn’t be expecting something to happen that quickly.
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -

The Prettiest Catbird
@Zeb  
We can reply to Luna’s responses and prospective mock ups though, can’t we. These points keep coming up in direct response to Luna and their constant denial of our feedback. If they said sure we’ll do that, instead of saying here’s why not, then I’m sure they’d cease. But instead we have to go back to explain why their response is missing the point.

Better to get things right than waste time on bad ‘fixes’ that result in needing further change,wasting everyone’s time.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Something to mention that hasn’t been, I think: Red theme is now available in settings.

After a bit more discussion, we’ve reversed tagged/tagless filenames in the View/Download dropdowns. This change was reprompted due to the fact that the image page itself loads the tagged filename, and thus it’s better for client performance to have tagged (as it’ll be in the cache).

@GyroTech  
1920x1080, with the browser windowed. Often, windowed at an extremely low width because I want to see what it’ll be like for someone with a smaller monitor. I don’t think anyone on the dev team has a 4k monitor yet, by the way.
Lead Pie
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

This is a box.
@Princess Luna  
Okay, I’m done.  
Can we please get a developer who doesn’t hide important functions in dropdowns that aren’t needed as there is plenty of space ?  
There’s this thing called “user-friendly”…
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Diamond -
Artist -

The cutest griffon!
@Princess Luna  
While that is the default option I prefer, did you put any thought into my suggestion of splitting them ‘With Tags’ ‘Without Tags’ doesn’t add too much space and is easily understandable, unlike ‘DS’
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide