Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
@Lead Pie  
While there is plenty of space in many monitors. There also is not a necessity to have two of the same buttons next to eachother, when their difference is the additional data the button give you.  
Many people said that having the “With Tags” option be the one people can click without having to also move their mouse down is the preferred one. Mainly for Archival purposes.

And it is also a set fact that, while again there may be space for it on most monitors, keeping the buttons separate would double the space taken, without a benefit outside of a fractional second of moving the mouse downwards slightly after reaching the dropdown.
Lead Pie
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

This is a box.
@Zeb  
There’s a ton of space on the metabar on desktop. VS and DS were fine for me, and I only use those. It was a fine layout before, why does it have to be combined now ? There is no need to save space.  
And no, it’s not. It’s aiming for a button you don’t actually wanna click, and then moving down to a new button. Every single time I want to download something.

Could’ve sold it as iBooru April Fools. “The new Derpibooru by Apple. Less buttons for extra free space and a clean look. Who needs function, form is better. If you need any information, just use this long dropdown.”
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag horse
@Princess Luna  
Going to comment on some new things this time around:

1. There’s some weird spacing around usernames (and artist names, in the mockup) that I don’t remember being there before, but that might just be a result of the mismatched vertical/horizontal padding when the link is highlighted, which I also don’t remember happening before. Everything else is the full height of the line, but this one is not. If the alignment gets fixed, the badges could use a similar amount of space on the right-hand side, too.

2. As a result of the new fontawesome icons, the 3 buttons in the search bar are now 1 pixel taller than the bar itself. I think this might be what causes them to jump to a new line on my phone in mobile view. Edit: this seems to be browser-specific, this one’s probably better off in the bug thread.

3. Is there a reason why the image dimensions aren’t in bold text anymore?
BigBuggyBastage
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

Go fsck yourself
This new “tagless” dropdown button for downloading, where it used to be “DS”, is a complete show-stopper for me. I don’t want mile-long filenames, and having to deal with hover-dropdown menus is a PITA. I’d rather have a per-user preference, or simply go back to the old two-button setup, thank you.
sahroo
Emerald -
Happy Derpy! -
Speaking Fancy - For help with translations

I really don’t like tagless download being in the drop down menu. I only view derpi on mobile, so I have to long press the download button, which can open up the browser’s sub menu if not done right, then tap the tagless option.

On that note, I don’t much like the download button being flushed right. Very awkward placement.

Minor issues and I guess I’m in the minority, but it really makes the website experience a bit worse.
NamelessNP
Glim Glam - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Ruby -
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron

Starlight and Sunny Fan
@BigBuggyBastage

Me too, I’m not a fan of being forced into this, and because the meta bar is the width of my monitor again, 50% of it is empty space making me really question why they have to be merged
nirvash
Der - Derpi Supporter
Silver Supporter - Silver Patron
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Diamond -
Artist -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2017) - Celebrated Derpibooru's five year anniversary with friends.
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters

The cutest griffon!
If the reason for merging them is a space issue, then really should be handled with some css so full screen people still get all the options but smaller screens get merged.
Princess Luna
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Thread Starter - Started a thread with over 100 pages
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@WingbeatPony  
1 You mean in the mockup or on the site currently as well? Because I don’t think I messed with anything in the code that resulted in the mockup and I’m fairly certain I didn’t change any spacing stuff. Of course, spaghetti CSS.  
Note however that the mockup was made on Linux so there are font differences.

2 The search bar has broken CSS because icon-buttons in a form in a box just are something beyond the scope what CSS was ever really designed for. It needs to be redone. And one day, maybe CSS won’t be garbage as a language, too.

3 When in doubt, remove. As far as I know, nobody cares whether it’s bold or not and there was no reason for it to be.

It looks like we might need to go with the ultimate solution of a client setting to switch the defaults of the dropdown (note: no, having just one button isn’t best with the client setting because sometimes you want the other one instead of what you usually want, it’d get a bit annoying to switch the setting regularly).  
That will have to come sometime within the next month, definitely after artist credit (coming very soon™).
WingbeatPony
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention

Tag horse
  1. This point got a little long-winded, but it boils down to this:  
    full  
    The username is the only thing in the metabar that doesn’t extend the background to the full height when hovered on.

2. I believe you 100%.

3. shrug

4. Client setting for dropdown would be the ultimate solution, it’s actually something I suggested a while ago, but so long as you confirm it as on the to-do list it should settle the argument for the moment. Not acknowledging these things in writing is what leads to constant pestering, so good on ya for addressing all that.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Emerald -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@Princess Luna  
@evan555alpha  
Any chance I could get a response?

Edit: I should also note; I, presumably along with dozens of other users, are not happy with the “dropdown swap”. For the love of god, PLEASE take this as a hint that there shouldn’t be a dropdown in the first place.

@Lead Pie  
Agreed. Or better yet, someone who wants to restore the metabar to what it was before March 19th.
CruFox
Artist -

Tag? Tag.
Just make the option to choose if I want my default view to be “With tags” or “Without tags”. For me it would be the latter.

The long link looks horrible when send to people on chats/PM and I use it regularly to share stuff with people. Also what was wrong about the old “VS” exactly? There is plenty of space for it anyway.
sxsxxxhd

Sorry to butt in here, but having the metabar change every day is really starting to piss me off. Was there anything particularly wrong with just VS/DS so that now we have a dropdown?
Mikey
Sky Spark - For Patreon supporters
Pone of Astronomy - For Patreon supporters
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
Artist -

Pone of Astronomy
Yeah, I prefer having the download and view buttons separate as well.  
Also as was said before, the tags just look weird how they are.
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
I think that download and view buttons should be separate unless screen is too narrow to fit, collapsing then.

Additionally I think that there should be four layout options:

1. (Default) Full Width. No max-width anywhere. I mean it, including tags, comments, buttons on the metabar, whatever. Occupying full width of the screen - perfect for narrow-width screens up to and including 4:3 and 5:4 PC screens.  
    2,3,4: Three alignments of constrained-width UI (since the width restriction is arbitrary, I propose “exactly as wide as to fit all metabar buttons, including separate download/view ones, with justify-content removed EDIT: Applied to all elements. No random “buttons on metabar are 80em wide while metabar itself is max-width: none”) - left-aligned, center-aligned, and right-aligned, for widescreen people to have better choices.

Oh and please remove justify-content. It looks bad and works bad and de-consolidates information.
byte[]
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag
Artist -

Philomena Contributor
@Barhandar  
Removing max-width everywhere is a bad idea. This is especially true with text-focused elements like the comments section, posts, etc. which do not read well without max-width. Furthermore, there are specific page layouts with constrained widths; this is done for the same reason.
Lead Pie
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

This is a box.
@Barhandar  
@byte[]  
Yeah, making everything no max-width is a bad idea. Comment sections and such might be a pain otherwise. I think that bars like the meta one should extend over the full width though, it gives a more consistent look.
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@byte[]  
They read perfectly fine without max-width on my screen resolution. For everyone else, that’s why I suggested three constrained-width layouts too.
Princess Luna
Economist -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <%Nebulon> Yeah, just fetch me a smaller anus, sweetie.
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
Metabar unspaced, view/download separated, and ads placed above description.  
Client setting for view/download is coming, but first will be artist credit (metabar will probably stay compact, but may be changed in other ways). Screenshots will be following with the updated artist credit changes.
GyroTech
Blitz - For supporting the site
Piaow!! - Derpi Supporter
Bronze Bit -
Emerald -

The Prettiest Catbird
Can we discuss how grouping is important for visually processing information? Currently everything has spacing that makes it all seem like everything is one group since its the same spacing. And there are a couple other awkward things like how the badges are closer to the file size than the user name.

Below, the top bar is how it is, and the bottom one is things grouped more logically so that your eye visually distinguishes which things are related. This is an important aspect in design, as basically any entry level design book will tell you.

full

Notice how related things, such as voting, favorites and comments or the navigation buttons are all grouped so that its clear they’re related. This is how things ought to be more presented.
Princess Luna
Economist -
From the Night -

Senior Moderator
Site Developer
Tag Czar
@GyroTech  
May be touched upon eventually, I’ve never been happy with the crazy padding on links in the metabar. It’s unfortunately a little complicated to do with the CSS.

Also, View and Download no longer collapse on mobile. So, mobile still has access to all four buttons like before with the dropdowns. This design philosophy can be summed up as catering to mobile by not really doing anything different unless absolutely necessary.  
The collapsing originally was intended to cater to mobile by shrinking the metabar, but in practice it didn’t really save us space, so ironically it just removed functionality for mobile for no reason.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Emerald -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@Princess Luna  
This is much, much, much better than the crap before. Thank you for finally listening.

Though there is one little difference between current and the old metabar that I’d like changed in the current, if at all possible. Namely, the swapping of the VS and Download buttons. I’d also like tags unconstrained again. Horizontal > vertical.

However, when you mention:  
Client setting for view/download is coming

Does this mean that those god-awful dropdowns are coming back? Or does it mean that there will eventually just be one button?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ponies Online! - April 13-14

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide