Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@byte[]  
Is there any reason that had to change in such a way to not match the image search syntax anymore just so the ‘default’ result would be the old way?
Joey
Dawnsong - Derpi Supporter
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Verified Pegasus - Show us your gorgeous wings!

PM me your cute OCs
@byte[]  
This is pretty awesome, thank you for implementing this! I feel this is a good, user friendly solution!

@Background Pony #EF5A  
I think how it’s working now is a pretty good compromise between the original behavior and the new functionality. Yeah, it’s not gonna be quite as inclusive as the original results, but at the same time, if you’re searching for “wing”, you’re probably not looking for “borrowing” or “slowing”. If anything, I feel this is a bit of an improvement over the original behavior.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Well I don’t like that it changed this time to be so different to image searching on the surface, but my feedback and opinions don’t matter, so. I’ll say nothing more of it and just express my disappointment in silence.
Background Pony #B203
@Joey  
Oh no, I agree completely. I just needed to process the change, think about, and quite the part of my mind that dislikes change. I can see the tags page’s current form being more useful than the old in the long run.

@byte[]  
-And now that I’ve had time to calm myself and think, I’d like to thank you for finding this compromise and the work you put into it. I believe this will be an overall improvement to the old system.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

Tag-Bot
I think I’m missing something.  
  • is the wildcard syntax, right?

If I understood it right, *word should give all the results that have anything before ‘word’ and nothing after ‘word.
    Example: *apple should have results like @apple, pineapple, sanpple, etc@  
    But a search of that gives only applee  
    I AM able to find regular results by using name:*apple. And using just apple to get the old results.  
    And for some reason using \*apple\* gives a lot of results. But won’t give just “apple”. Why do those not work with the wildcard?
Marker
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Misanthrope
@Zeb  
Yeah, I’m confused by it too. Wildcards doesn’t seem to work quite as I expected. For instance: chrys* and **armor** both returns chrysarmordance among the results, however searching for *dance doesn’t return any tags at all.

Same with infixed wildcards, chrys*dance or totally * recap returns no results.

p.s. The current formatting syntax doesn’t seem to support trailing ‘*’ as part of the link, I had to tack on some extra stuff to make it work.
Zeb
Praise the Sun! - Derpi Supporter
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends.
Economist -
Notoriously Divine Tagger - Consistently uploads images above and beyond the minimum tag requirements. And/or additionally, bringing over the original description from the source if the image has one. Does NOT apply to the uploader adding several to a dozen tags after originally uploading with minimum to bare tagging.
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

Tag-Bot
@Marker  
I’ve had some of it explained to me.

If we want true wildcard like we had before any of the updates. We have to type name:\*word\*  
Which to me seems like it’s a step even further to making it difficult to do a search like we used to.  
Original: word = You get every result that contains the word you typed in any form.  
1st Update: \*word\* = You get every result that contains the word you typed in any form.  
2nd update: name:\*word\* = You get every result that contains the word you typed in any form.

It’s like we’re making it as difficult as possible to do searches on the tags page.
Marker
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Misanthrope
@Zeb  
Aye, that’s not immediately obvious at all. The update brings some immensely useful features for advanced users, but the original method could be easily understood by novice users and satisfy the majority of use cases.
cheezedoodle
Roll for Initiative - For Patreon supporters
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Thread Starter - OC Tag Description Requests
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Silver Bit -

TagZombie: AC15, Atk +8
Yeah something’s not quite right.  
I just searched for *armor * (trailing space then wildcard) and it should at least be returning shining armor is not amused but it’s finding nothing.
reversalmushroom
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).

You're gay.
The site logged me out, and when I logged back in, the layout of my profile was changed. Before, both my uploads and favorites were instantly in view and were each a row of 5. But now, my ban history and statistics have been pushed to the top, so I now have to scroll down every time I want to see how many favorites/likes my uploads have, and the uploads/favorites are now rows of 4. I don’t like this. It’s a slight inconvenience, but it’s an inconvenience none the less that didn’t used to exist. 2 things I never cared about are now at the top instead of the things I wanted to see most. And being able to see fewer images is also only an inconvenience. Why were these changes made (and why was I logged out), and are there any settings I can click to change it back? I’m not seeing any.
runner2
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice

Libertatem Noctibus
Speaking of profile changes…. it’s rather annoying that a 1 day ban I got 2 years ago is now clearly displayed at the top of my profile page. As if that’s important information for anyone that happens to peek at my page now. >.>
Barhandar
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Derpy Whooves  
The point is that it shouldn’t be being displayed at the top, it’s not what people search when they look at their own profile and it won’t actually have any potential preventative effect. Have it only show up top for moderators or stick it back on the bottom (one press of “End”).
Joey
Non-Fungible Trixie -

PM me your cute OCs
@runner2  
So the reason for that is that for site staff, the ban history list was always displayed at the top of people’s profiles, while for regular users, their ban history was displayed at the bottom. That meant the code for displaying it had to be in two different places.

By moving it to the same place for both people, that simplifies things and requires a little bit less code.

Also, it has the unintentional but funny side effect of giving people who are constant repeat offenders a more visible and constant reminder to behave.
Barhandar
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Joey  
>Also, it has the unintentional but funny side effect of giving people who are constant repeat offenders a more visible and constant reminder to behave.

Which is, as I’ve just said, completely useless because repeat offenders have and will ignore the possibility of getting banned.  
>By moving it to the same place for both people, that simplifies things and requires a little bit less code.

Translation: unifying things that actually have a reason to not be unified.
Joey
Non-Fungible Trixie -

PM me your cute OCs
@Barhandar  
I stated the reason - simplicity and avoiding code duplication

And I’m referring to the people who get banned like 20+ times. Every time they view their profile, they’re gonna have some scrolling to do :P
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide