Site Development Notification and Feedback Thread

Shayzorr
Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Emerald -
Economist -
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Bronze Supporter - Bronze Patron
Happy Derpy! - For Patreon supporters
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday

I’ll chime in about the new tag box. In the dark theme, would you be willing to change the number color from white to something a bit closer to the number background? That might reduce the contrast, keeping the numbers from being the first thing that strikes the eye.
Background Pony #D35A
Wasn’t the whole tag box a link before? Now it’s just a tag name text. Which is like 1/3 of the whole box or even less for a “safe” tag. Unnecessarily harder to click and seems inconsistent with dropdown menu and the rest of boxed links. At least it should be the box around name excluding number box.

Also why isn’t avatar a link to profile? That’s pretty much on every other site.
Kaifloof
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Artist -

Child of the Night
I use the dark theme myself and I find it a bit difficult to decipher the tags at a glance now. It seems like they all run together with the new style on them and it takes more effort to see what tags an image has on it now. With the highlighted numbers it’s way too distracting when looking at them on a dark theme when my eyes tend to snap to the brighter numbers as opposed to what those number represent.
A bit of a color change with them would help or have alternate styles/colors for light and dark themes.

I use Dark Theme as well since my eyesight is slowly deteriorating and I can’t stand light themes. The tags sort of seem to blend and I can’t focus on the words or numbers. It’s very distracting.

Bit ironic this update released around the same time eclipse did but I’m just thankful y’all are listening to your user base and not banning people for feedback bahaha
someguy26
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!

Please take this as constructive criticism, but I’m not a fan of the new tag design. It makes the numbers pop out to the eyes instead of the text, which is the really important part, and it makes scanning the tags slightly more difficult.
DarkHooves
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Putin – khuylo!
@someguy26  
I strongly agree with this!  
I wish you would switch position of the numbers with the +/-/H. The strong colouring makes me want to read what’s to the right of the numbers and it messes me brain up.
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
The Magic of Friendship Grows - For helping others attend the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@DarkHooves  
@someguy26  
This. The numbers are only moderately important (for example, I personally check them to at-glance find out if it’s an incorrect tag or not, those tend to have single-digit numbers), the watched/hidden state is least important, the tag name is most important. Since we’re not in Middle East, people read from left to right, and therefore it should be tag name, number, watch state - a.k.a. the way it was before this change.  
Distinguishing either part via color is also unnecessary because the tag count is distinguished by being the last round-bracketed part of the tagbox.

As such I think it should be reverted as unnecessary and counterproductive change.
The Smiling Pony
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Barhandar  
The +/-/S/H is fairly important for those that make extensive use of filtering and watching, and it’s a nice separator.

The only change I’d think should be considered from current would be dimming the colour on the numbers.
AlushyTheTyrant
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Artist -

Consentacles and boobs!
@The Smiling Pony

What would it take to allow a full user customization without usage of local user extensions? (IE. having Ari’s derpi pones, setting own colors for background, tags, etc., setting up a background wallpaper, and other potential things.)
Barhandar
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - Uploader of 10+ images with 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Toola Roola - For helping others attend the 2019 Community Collab
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Helpful Owl - Drew someone's OC for the 2018 Community Collab

(twi|pony)booru.org
@Officer Hotpants  
Was. Now it’s all jet black.

@The Smiling Pony  
[Users making extensive use of filtering and watching] are a minority (you still only need to do it once) and which is not only unaffected by being on far right, but is actually better when it’s on far right — unless you first check the state of the tag, and only afterwards what the tag actually is.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Barhandar  
I’m not sure how most people read tags, but the vast majority of them are short enough that I don’t “read” them like I’d read text; the + thing certainly isn’t something I “read”, it’s just a symbol attached to the tag element as a whole, same as the () were part of the tag number and not something I’d “read”.

If anything it brings it a bit more in focus instead of being forgotten behind a number, and it’s become evident some people didn’t even realize it was there and might have thought it was part of the number itself.
Background Pony #C5B3
Having the tags blocker and having half dark simultaneously pulls the eyes away and makes it harder to read. My eyes are literally being drawn away from the tags to the numbers. I have to consciously read what each tag is now. Clutters up the page because derpi is mostly very mild washed out color then BOOM saturated tags. Or I dont know what I’m talking about
DarkHooves
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.

Putin – khuylo!
@Background Pony #C5B3  
You do know what you’re talking about. I feel the same way, as do some other people here.

@The Smiling Pony  
Let’s put it like this: The change makes it so that at a glance, the first thing you’ll notice is the tag number. It signal as a natural starting point in our heads.  
That’s not a bad thing per say, but it becomes an issue when it’s placed like it is (+/-/S/H –> Tag Name –> #) because we read from left to right. It goes against how we process information, which is a very bad thing to do.

I strongly suggest changing the order so the number comes first in a tag (# –> Tag Name –> +/-/S/H)  
OR switch the striking colours to the +/-/S/H (or whatever you want to be first in a tag. There’s a strong arguement to be made that the name of the tag are the most important part and should be first.)
Moonlight Bloom
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

I agree with everyone who is saying that the new tags draw too much attention to the numbers. The contrast is so great a person’s eyes cannot help but be drawn to the number rather than the tag (and maybe it’s just me, but I feel as though I have to force my eyes away from looking the numbers). In fact, I would say that in general the two-tone contrast is a bit annoying overall.

Additionally, I feel having the tags two colors almost starts to create the illusion of having twice as many tags as there are. The old tags had, in my opinion, a much clearer separation between each tag, and a correlation of which numbers belong to which tags.
Background Pony #2147
Can we change the tag count colour to be white on the default theme. Something like this looks better to me:full
ushiki
Speaking Fancy - Badge given to members that help with translations
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Yellow Man has no words
I hope they will roll tags back because every time i take a look at the field i want to cut my eyes out.
evan555alpha
Crazylis - Derpi Supporter
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Best Artist - Providing quality, Derpibooru-exclusive artwork
Emerald -

PSA: R0 was changed!
@T.S. Lightner  
@Barhandar  
@Background Pony #C5B3  
Agreed.

@The Smiling Pony  
I read them as I would text, occasionally scanning them and not really reading them. Before, it was easy to scan them and get to the tag I wanted to quickly. Before this, the tags were the same for so long that I’ve almost always had the counts and the + almost automagically filtered out in my head and I was able to skip over those with ease when I wasn’t actively looking for them.  
With this change, it is actively harder to do so, because the contrast brings too much attention to what I’m not looking for (most of the time), and now that the + has been moved to the left it’s constantly throwing me off.

Who was asking for this change, anyway?

@LightningBolt  
Clearly because something’s wrong with you /s
Background Pony #AAF4
Also, are the dropdowns supposed to be slightly offset to the right from the tags?

I’ve seen plenty of sites go through design changes I dislike, but at first glance all of this felt less like a design change and more like you messed up a stylesheet somewhere. I was ready to report it as a bug the first time I saw it, before this thread confirmed it was intentional.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide