The Sockpuppeting Problem

Site and Policy » The Sockpuppeting Problem Search Posts
Background Pony #4485
Staff of this site have multiple alt accounts with moderation powers they use to avoid criticism and make it confusing, if not impossible, to tell who said what when looking at the post history of mods and admins. As with Joey and Blossomforth or with Luna and Princess Celestia. Use one account and stick to it. Don’t make a new account just because you said something people didn’t like.
Background Pony #95ED
@Background Pony #4485

Are you simply unaware of the situation with “Luna and Princess Celestia”, or unwilling to understand what was explained already?

There’s no sockpuppeting going on there. No hiding behind new accounts. The reason was very simple.

Here are the links to comments, which explain it:

here

and here
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
Few staff have ever had alts, and those that have, most just have a ‘staff’ account and a ‘normal’ account.

I for one have a non-staff alt that I only used a few times to upload Limestone Pie images and very minimal roleplay. Otherwise I’ve done everything on this account and never swapped it or changed names since becomming staff.
Corpulent Brony
Corpulent Brony - Derpi Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Silver Supporter -
Artist -

Visit Twibooru.org
I’ve said this myself to others: I’d love to see those logs. Please provide references for your claims.

Not that anon, but I just messaged you a copy of the log. Users have been banned for distributing it, but I figure as a site moderator if you’re asking for it then a ban won’t be handed down.
AppleDash
Feather Freight - For Patreon supporters
Daring Do Dakimakura - Attended a Derpibooru panel at a MLP convention
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Purple Pega
Sorry, to clarify: I know the logs exist and I know what’s contained in them. I’d like specific references supporting this particular claim, because I haven’t seen anybody provide such references so far.
Corpulent Brony
Corpulent Brony - Derpi Supporter
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Diamond -
Happy Derpy! -
Silver Supporter -
Artist -

Visit Twibooru.org
@AppleDash  
idk personally, trying to find it myself. The fact so many mods/admins here using different names than they do on the Discord makes it a little more difficult since I don’t lurk there enough to figure out who is who.  
So I don’t know what LightningBolt’s user name is there (though from context I have a couple guesses).
aperture_tech
Duck - Quacking with portals.

lol
@AppleDash  
Nope! That isn’t the source of confusion, because when we have joey and blossomforth, ciaran and derpy whooves, that’s already two. Wonder if there are any more that staff is hush hush about?
Background Pony #BC3A
@AppleDash  
Calling open users to violate rule 8 is baiting. Posting the logs has resulted in post deletions and bans. The logs are easily found in multiple places at this point without encouraging users to break the rules, so easily that for you to be asking for them is disingenuous and in bad faith.
AppleDash
Lunar Guardian - Earned a place among the ranks of the most loyal New Lunar Republic soldiers (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Purple Pega
@Background Pony #BC3A

To quote my reply from 4chan:

I’m not going to quote all the posts individually, but thanks for at least stepping up and providing the requested proof. As far as I, personally, know, there are no “secret staff accounts” beyond those that you’ve already called out (Joey, Ciaran, and to some extent Luna (though they themselves publicly announced it));
however I see no problem with staff having a separate staff and user account, as long as it’s known that they exist and they’re not using the user account to sockpuppet in discussion threads (which AFAIK hasn’t happened in the recent past (and I have no data for the far pastt)
Background Pony #BC3A
@AppleDash  
No no no, you came into the thread as a moderator and said “I’d love to see those logs. Please provide references for your claims.” What were you going to do if no proof had been provided? Since proof WAS provided, your intentions are to just say “Oh yeah well I knew all about THOSE secret staff accounts already, everything is fine”?
AppleDash
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Purple Pega
@Background Pony #BC3A

Not entirely sure what part of my post wasn’t clear. It was to be taken at face value: “I’d love to see them.” I’ve seen them, now I’m satisfied that threads of this nature have some truth to them. I’m not into arguing about it, because it usually goes nowhere.
Background Pony #BC3A
@AppleDash  
Uh huh. You know that having a moderator tag puts weight behind your posts, right? If you were just going to end up posting on 4chan with a tripcode anyway to ask for the same information (and using yet another name), why didn’t you ask with a background pony or with a non-mod alt? Demanding proof of claims as a moderator carries a heavily implied threat of action.
AppleDash
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Artist -

Purple Pega
@Background Pony #BC3A

I consider it dishonest to post anonymously on a mod account, and I’m decently sure it is frowned upon amongst staff anyways. I’m not sure why the mere fact that I am a mod is a “threat of action”. I also didn’t demand anything. I simply said, and I quote for the second time, “I’d love to see those logs.” It was a personal request that nobody had to fulfill. I’m thankful that somebody did, but it was not a requirement, and I’m sorry if it seemed that way.

I asked for the same information on 4chan because not everyone on 4chan is in this thread, and not everyone reading this thread is on 4chan.

It’s no secret that my posts on 4chan are me; I even posted proof, and for some reason people didn’t believe it. The point of the trip is to prove that it’s the same “me” across posts. I use that name there because I use it on Discord, which is where I mainly interact with the /mlp/ community outside of /mlp/.
LightningBolt
Umbrella - For Patreon supporters
Lightning Dee - Derpi Supporter
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Hero - Went above and beyond in the name of Lunar freedom, they will be remembered in legends and folklore as paragons of heroism for generations (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Chaotic Little Trees - 1000+ images under their artist tag
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!

Senior Moderator
Undead inside
@Background Pony #BC3A  
Then tell me who is ‘lying’ and who is ‘hiding’ please instead of calling accusations.

My Discord name is WiFiWitch and it always had been. My display name may change but my username never has.
Princess Celestia
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Administrator
Devops
Sockpuppeting assumes the person is trying to make it appear like they’re not themselves. I don’t understand how my case is sockpuppeting, since I never hid it from day 0 that I am now using this account instead of my main personal one in order to avoid confusion.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide