What happened to the 'neigh' button?

Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Well this new layout is the last drop! I quit!

@anonymouspegasus  
I assume they removed it to reduce downvoting regularity, as considered before.  
You can still use it but you have to go into the picture, first.
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
We wanted favecounts on the thumbnail, and with having 4 digit numbers of faves, scores and comments there’s not enough space. Downvoting is far less popular than faving, upvoting or commenting, so the button got the boot on the thumbnail.

If an image is bad enough to vote, you can still load it up and downvote from there.
Bryce
Artist -

Yeah… if something is bad enough for me to downvote I usually don’t need to full-view it to tell how bad it is.
And Brother I Hurt People
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Squirrel - "Is there a badge for being an oblivious fuck?"
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Thread Starter - /dis/the-cringe-thread
Fine Arts - Two hundred uploads with a score of over a hundred (Safe/Suggestive)

I know the drill. We’ll hate the layout, whine, complain, then slowly grow warm to it, eventually not even noticing it. Like the new user bar, and all.

Anyway, I think it looks little cluttered, but if it means preventing unjust downvoting, welp, I’m all for it.
Zennistrad
Bronze Bit -

Okay, this is a dumb change. Certain images deserve downvotes because they’re not something that you want to see.

By making it so that you have to go into the image to downvote it, this will ultimately result in images having disproportionately positive even when they don’t deserve it, because few people actually want to see the full version of a horrible image.

You see the same thing with Disqus comments. You can upvote comments without logging in, but not downvote them, leading to comments that gain an undeserved number of upvotes because it’s easier to upvote than downvote.

It’s like the idiot who made this image decided how the site should be run:

full
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
because they’re not something that you want to see.
That is the primary function of filters. If you downvote something, you can still see it. If filters are not working in that way, then we need to work on the filter system.

Downvoting is meant to be a way to warn people that an image is bad. If you think it’s bad enough to deserve such a warning, then it must be bad enough to merit the extra second to load the image and click the button.
Vree
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Derpibooru Premium - Learn about the benefits of subscribing to Derpibooru Premium membership at https://derpibo

@The Smiling Pony  
Thanks, I see now that high scores can stretch the whole thing.  
Although if that’s the case then I would stretch the five accounts to begin with to occupy 1/5th of the bar space each, instead of being clustered in the middle like now.

Because oddly when I’m in the All Time Top Scoring section now the icon positions feel a lot more comfortable than on the actual frontpage.
And Brother I Hurt People
The 1% - Uploaded 1% or more of the site's images
Squirrel - "Is there a badge for being an oblivious fuck?"
Perfect Pony Plot Provider - 10+ uploads with over 350 upvotes or more (Questionable/Explicit)
Thread Starter - /dis/the-cringe-thread

@Zennistrad

I kinda have to agree with this statement. Sometimes, you just can’t filter certain things.

I don’t mind pony creator, so I’m not going to filter that. I don’t like pony creator OCs with twenty different accessories and wings, however.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
@Zennistrad  
And you don’t have to. Just enter the image, click the button, and get the hell out. Even if you had a glance, it’s still not something so traumatic that you can’t stand looking at it twice.

Here’s a good complaint from another thread though:  
@Background Pony  
It just makes it harder to know which pictures I have downvoted.
boz
Thread Starter - The evil council continuation

@Grieffon  
With long loading time, it is understandable why one wouldn’t want to spend a moment loading the page of a poor pic just to downvote it. On the site side, avoiding to load one page each time someone want to downvote something was probably a good thing too.
Clover the Clever
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <@CloverTheClever> I'd pay to see Carcer in a fursuit
Always Codes Drunk - It explains a lot
From the Night - I have technically banned myself a bunch of times...
Since the Beginning  - User number zero

Lord and Saviour
The lack of downvote display on galleries is something we’re looking to fix - it’s not intentional that you can’t tell.

As mentioned previously, we had to lose something to bring faves to the gallery pages and tidy up the gallery infobar view. The downvote button is, according to actual site usage data the least used button.

Also, downvoting does not hide images. That’s what filters are for. Filters need to improve (complex filters) and that’s on the agenda.
Hyzy

Yeah… if something is bad enough for me to downvote I usually don’t need to full-view it to tell how bad it is.

This is my view on the subject as well. Honestly, I couldn’t care care less about how many favorites an image has. What I do care about is not being forced to full-view something I can tell is crap from the thumbnail just to downvote it.

@And Brother I Hurt People  
I know the drill. We’ll hate the layout, whine, complain, then slowly grow warm to it, eventually not even noticing it. Like the new user bar, and all.
Anyway, I think it looks little cluttered, but if it means preventing unjust downvoting, welp, I’m all for it.

Yeah, if by “grow warm to it” you mean stop giving a damn about ever downvoting anything then yes, I suppose I’ll “grow warm to it.” For anyone not mass downvoting, this is just a waste of time. If I don’t like an individual image, I used to just downvote it and keep browsing. Now, I have no reason to bother downvoting crappy pictures when my choices are 1) keep browsing and never see that picture again, and 2) force myself to see the picture I don’t like a second time just to ‘say’ I don’t like it with a downvote, I’ll pick the first choice every single time.

Not every ‘bad’ picture/picture I don’t like has a tag that I can filter without hiding things I do want to see. If I find a tag I can and want to filter, then it is worth loading a new page as I’d have to do that anyway if I ever want to filter anything. But loading up a page with something I don’t like just to downvote something I’ll still probably never see again anyway is just wasting my own time. This is a pointless extra hassle for many users I’d wager. Again, the only thing to grow warm to is the reality that we will never see that lost functionality again, making it not worth thinking about. Just because people eventually stop actively complaining doesn’t mean they all accepted the change, most just know how recognize when voicing their complaints is no longer worth their time.
Background Pony #ADB0
I wonder how many people use other imageboards. I think this is the only one that’s ever allowed people to vote or favorite from the thumbnail, without loading the full image. That may have been a mistake to have from the start.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide