What happened to the 'neigh' button?

Revenant Wings
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Not-So-Stoic Royal Guard
Um… I didn’t mean to start a huge argument, I just wanted to know where it went. I’ve looked at the forums and stuff but I don’t often see that a new thing is about to take place. It just was a bit of a shock.

That being said, everyone here has a point. Werkbau pointed out that there will be a shift in the balance of votes to favor positive reactions. Forza notes that someone with a certain amount of computer knowledge can create a script that can automatically downvote everything that has a certain tag attached to it. And TSP is correct about needing to actually use the filters instead of people being lazy about what they don’t want to see and that people are abusing the voting system.

There are flaws in the system, yes, but I must say the overall interface is much more fluid and organized. As a person who doesn’t downvote very much anyway, I don’t care if the neigh button is removed. However, I will admit that of what I do occasionally downvote, there is a stronger reaction to what I see if I have to click on an image of what I don’t want to/like to see among the usage of a tag I like in order to make that vote.

I don’t care what the admins do. I like this system because it’s easier to hide what I don’t want to see by taking advantage of it as a resource and overall I’m pretty content with it.
The Smiling Pony
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
Tree of Harmony - Drew someone's OC for the 2022 Community Collab
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Background Pony  
As said above, we don’t keep this data in a nice presentable little file with pretty pie charts and colors and buzzwords. It’s actual constant site monitoring of user behavior and mods tracking users manually. I’m not about condense all that into a nice little chart that the guy will just claim is fake, anywways. As condescending as it sounds, I have far more important things to do.
Zennistrad
Bronze Bit -
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@The Smiling Pony

…Hold on, if you don’t have the data ready, then how do you know that downvote abuse is so widespread?

The only tag I can think of that’s obviously an undeserved downvote magnet are posts related to Sonic the Hedgehog.
l40LVOSm
Artist -

@Background Pony

You’re not wrong. I am being an asshole and I would definitely more easily convince people if I pretended I was a neutral participant. This would, however, be dishonest. I mean every single rude comment as an honest observation of TSP and the rest of the staff in their interactions with people who disagree with them thus far.

I have no hopes any of it will actually improve, and I am quite honest about not being neutral.
Pound Cake

@The Smiling Pony  
So then, how about my second comment that you never answered. I am legitimately curious why there were downvote nukes given to my account for a few days after the initial. I understand the use for the first being tied to the ban and whatnot, but the rest really seemed uncalled for.
The Smiling Pony
Solar Hero - Went above and beyond for the Solar Deity, drawing from the power of the sun itself to bring balance to the fight against the Lunar Insurrection (April Fools 2023).
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Zennistrad  
What? The data exists. It exists in a multitude of statsd tracked events and in moderators constantl monitoring user behavior. That doesn’t all compact in the end to a single tangible data “thing”.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Pound Cake  
You broke the site rules, there are consequences for doing that. A 3 day ban over messing with metadata, which is pretty important for the functioning of the site was pretty light.
Grieffon
The Power of Love - Given to a publicly verified artist with an image under their artist’s tag that has reached 1000 upvotes
Equality - In our state, we do not stand out.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Birthday Cake - Celebrated MLP's 7th birthday
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Bronze Bit -
Artist -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Grieffon> it does kinda dry out a bit with fast strokes

h
  1. If the staff are as you say they are, they won’t change anything just to spite you.  
  2. If they are the nice people who try to do what they think is best to the site, they will do according so, and of course that means things will stay as they are.

Either way, what you say is useless. It’s better if you don’t waste anyone’s time.
Science

Seems like the sensitive artists finally got what they wanted. Numbers and colors were too much for them, causing them to feel shamed on the site. Fortunately the White Knights of the Derpibooru came to the rescue! The Knights locked away the Neigh button, and gave its formal place to the number of Faves. While the Neigh button is still alive, it is now a grain of sand in the beach.

We live in a community of pansies and trolls. Tis a sad day for justice.
SocDev
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <SocDev> Si hay pelito, no hay delito
Artist -

Well stressed, friend!
@Serenade_Acceso_Forza

People initially care about tone, and then about the message. Coming out as abrasive, conspirational nut-job and hostile not only will push people away, but they wont hear what you want to say. You are digging your own grave.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@The Smiling Pony  
The data exists stored on servers in hundreds and hundreds of charts and tracked events. We do happen to interpret that data and also be aware of users we know are messing with things intentionally.

Compiling the data is a significant task in itself. Writing up essays on what moderators have investigated on their own wouldn’t exactly be trivial, either.
l40LVOSm
Artist -

@Zennistrad

Also, WerkBau made a perfect observation in this regard.

Quote: “On the second one, Isn’t that the point?! Being able to downvote things we don’t like?”

Evidently, to them, it isn’t.
Pound Cake

@The Smiling Pony  
Not what I was asking. As I said I understood the ban and such. However, it seems rather odd to do other things after the fact after the “sentence” was served. Isn’t that kind of the point of a ban having a duration? What was the purpose of the targeting after the ban when I no longer broke any rules and simply used the downvote system from only one account after?
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Serenade_Acceso_Forza  
Things you don’t like are what filters are for. Things that are bad are what downvotes are for. Things that are you don’t like inside the subset of things you generally like, sure, downvote away; if it’s something you don’t like enough to vote it, you can spare the effort to load up the page and downvote it.

The filtering system is not as robust as it should be. We’ve acknowledged that several times and are actively working on it.
l40LVOSm
Artist -

@Background Pony

Yes. For things that I am not interested in. Meanwhile, things of topics I am interested in that I don’t like are downvoted. There’s a distinct difference.

This is, again, why it’s important to have data to make default filters from. If the majority of the community does not like certain tags, they should be added to the default filter of that community. This means that in both meta and regular feedback there would be appreciable results. No need to fuck with a useful site feature. Instead, you just predict that the majority are outright “not interested”.

It doesn’t help that TSP admitted to not having any data, and instead they make personal judgements based on “experience”, meaning there’s no actual data to base such tag filters on. Hurrah. A total waste of time.
The Smiling Pony

( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡° )
@Serenade_Acceso_Forza  
Keep making things up, it does great things for your lack of reputation,

Adding “everything people don’t like” to the filters is pointless and completely separate from what’s being discussed. We have people that don’t like Fluttershy downvoting every image that contains Fluttershy. Are you suggesting we add Fluttershy to the default filter list?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Ministry of Image - Fanfiction Printing

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide