Brony Nostalgia

SpookyPone

Friendship Enthusiast
This has been something on my mind for about a week now. So I figured I’d ask others about this.

What are some MLP and brony related things that you feel nostalgic for or miss? Like events, people, etc.
TOMNICE
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -

Hungarian G1 pony fan
I still wonder if they will continue Friendship Is Witchcraft Horse Women.  
I rememeber watching Princess Trixie Sparkle when i still did not understand English but that did not stop me from enjoying it.
SpookyPone

Friendship Enthusiast
@Background Pony #0722  
For me it was actually a youtube video making fun of a brony. I guess my recommendations just took it from there.

It’s kinda crazy to think about how that one silly little youtube video basically changed my entire life. I’d imagine it’s a similar thing with others.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
Honestly? Baltimore itself notwithstanding, Bronycon from the lead-up to the trip to the arrival and the con itself was something magical for all the years it ran; having a con center to ourselves with hundreds of orange (or blue, 2013-2014) lanyard pone fans walking the harbor-front streets at any given hour was MAGICAL. Other cons are great, but the size and scale of Bronycon was truly special, and something I miss dearly now
RainbowŠpekGS
Pixel Perfection - I still call her Lightning Bolt
Silly Pony - Celebrated the 13th anniversary of MLP:FIM, and 40 years of MLP!
Shimmering Smile - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of Equestria Girls!
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Flower Trio - Helped others get their OC into the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
King Sombra - Celebrated the 10th anniversary of The Crystal Empire!
A Lovely Nightmare Night - Celebrated the 12th anniversary of MLP:FIM!
Princess of Love - Extra special version for those who participated in the Canterlot Wedding 10th anniversary event by contributing art.
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

BACKGROUND PONY LOVER
I’m the most nostalgic about early brony musicians, like WoodenToaster, JackleApp, MicTheMicrophone. I still listen to their music from time to time.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
That initial excited community feel from 2011-2012 was pretty great. I think that’s what a lot of people miss when they pine for the S1-2 days. Dunno if we’ll ever have that unexpected mega-community feel ever again. G5 is awesome but with the way the world is and how we are now a lot older, I doubt it’ll ever be quite replicated that way again.
Background Pony #0722
@RainbowŠpekGS
Also sad that some of the musician passed away early…
@EquusStorm
World changes, so things changes, we might have a different style of excitement, who knows, but as you said, the toughest part of getting more excited is that we’ve grown more matured.
SpookyPone

Friendship Enthusiast
@EquusStorm
My timeline with this fandom is weird, but I never was able to get into the fandom at it’s prime, and that always makes me kinda sad to think about. It’s also why I started this thread, lol.
Being one of those people that were in the fandom since the literal beginning must be such a magical but bittersweet feeling.
It feels like I’m sorta exploring the remains of what use to be a great city, while the veterans got to see it be built and at it’s full potential, if that makes any sense.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
@SpookyPone
Yeah I can totally understand that, it’s definitely a much different feel being here from the beginning vs joining at a more recent time; that early era was truly unique BUT that means you also got to avoid the major headache inducing and fandom-splitting drama storms of 2013 (being hit by Twilicorn, the 13-episode season that heavily implied it would be the last, and the sudden appearance of EqG virtually all at once) so it does balance out hahaha.
Truth be told though being in the fandom for more than a decade makes me wonder if I could have spent some of those years bettering myself instead of going to cons and being way more invested in the fandom than I should have, but one can only look forward yeah? I’d say for all the magical atmosphere the first few years were, in retrospect there were also negatives; popular people who turned out to be very bad in the end, lots of trolls and bickering when it was at the heart of popularity, scandals here and there (Las Pegasus Unicon in 2014 nearly nuking the con scene shortly after it was born, for one) and a bunch of fan sites that popped up then shut down, making it hard to find friends made there afterward without their Skype info or whatnot.
So yeah it was a truly special time when it felt like so many people were united in friendship over a common thing while defying stereotypes and getting to indulge in something hopeful and innocent, but a few negatives here and there too. Nothing wrong with coming in late though, y’all get to binge many seasons at once instead of having to wait a year for the next season to start while others argued over which seasons were better and what the previous season did wrong lol
SpookyPone

Friendship Enthusiast
@EquusStorm
The marathoning of the show would probably be a bonus for a lot of people, but honestly I think there’s a certain joy in being able to discuss new episodes as they come out and speculating on what the show would do next. The long waits would be very annoying, though.
It’s still kinda surreal thinking about how the show is over. It feels like just yesterday I was watching the episode where Maud is introduced on the family television or reading an mlp fanfic religiously. That one screencap of all the main characters at the end of the series…god that one always hits hard.
MLP really was lightning in a bottle, I honestly doubt anything like it will happen for at least a really long time. It wouldn’t surprise me if MLP sees a spike in popularity again later down the line, but nothing like what MLP once was.
Although maybe it’s for the best that the MLP obsession has died out. Some people were…really into MLP. And still are. lmao.
EquusStorm
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Silver Bit -
Ruby -
Happy Derpy! -
Bronze Supporter -
Artist -

Flop it to the princess
@SpookyPone
Yeah that’s fair, also prolongs the enjoyment a bit to have to wait for new airings. The way Netflix does things now dumping it all at once feels like it loses a bit of the fun of digesting them one at a time. The intra-seasonal hiatuses are always the most annoying though so hard to get around that one.
It took a long time to process the show ending and I’m still not sure if it has fully sunk in, it was such a part of my identity for so long and even though I didn’t pay as much attention past about S7, watching the eps only once and not really saying much in forums or discussion groups anymore, it was definitely a part of me that felt like it withered away with the closing of the book. For better, or worse, I’m still not sure, but it was definitely a very weird thing not having any new episodes anymore and it took a long time of pre-bracing for the end not to lose it too hard at the finale lol (the final song still cut very deep, can’t watch it without crying)
Yeah uh I kinda went a little ways down that road for a little while being too obsessed around S2-4ish, honestly I do have regrets and it’s probably better it ended for those way deeper into it than me haha… tying one’s mental health to a cartoon is not a healthy way to go about adult life so hopefully those that deep into it are able to let go now
SpookyPone

Friendship Enthusiast
@EquusStorm
I was never really obsessed with the show, even if it was (and still kinda is) the only community I really hang around. Although to be fair, I watched a lot of other stuff so I basically knew “yeah don’t act like this it’s not healthy or normal lol.”
Nothing really changed for me but it was still really shocking to me. At the time, I don’t think I was really even watching the show, since I’ve always been more of a fan of the fandom and didn’t have netflix yet. But it’s still really bittersweet seeing these character’s story end. I know it affected other people way more than me, though.For the longest time it felt like MLP would never end, then it just sorta did.
It’s kinda crazy how good this show is at affecting people. I’ve noticed that there’s not very many casual fans, you’re either like at least active in the fandom in some way or you just don’t care about the show at all. There’s almost no in-between.
Background Pony #8E2F
@SpookyPone
Kind of like Touhou fandom (a bullet hell game series) where some or many fans are fans and don’t even play main games.
Other fandoms? This is a very rare case to happen.
Background Pony #DEB2
I imagine the rush of watching a new episode and immediately being able to discuss it with friends and people online would have been a really fun experience.
Agreed here, it was something I had to look forward to every week. Something that I could expect to brighten up my weekends, especially if it hadn’t been going the best.
I got into the show when I was younger, my sister would watch it, and I would just try to ignore it… until I wasn’t ignoring it anymore. That was between the Finale of S1 and the premiere of S2, so it’s been a prominent part of my life and schedule for years, and bordering on a decade before it finally ended. When I first started watching it though, I wasn’t online whatsoever. So I missed every bit of that. That’s really something that I regret, as now I have more of an online presence, and enjoy so much of the content that has been created and maintained. If I knew better, I’d have been more involved for a longer time… But even just the show itself kept me enamored, and was a forefront of my entertainment for a while.
I also didn’t really have friends to discuss it with because of that also- Just my sister. But that wasn’t so bad. It was something that helped me keep a decent relationship with them even through some really rough times.
It took a long time to process the show ending and I’m still not sure if it has fully sunk in, it was such a part of my identity for so long and even though I didn’t pay as much attention past about S7, watching the eps only once and not really saying much in forums or discussion groups anymore, it was definitely a part of me that felt like it withered away with the closing of the book. For better, or worse, I’m still not sure, but it was definitely a very weird thing not having any new episodes anymore and it took a long time of pre-bracing for the end not to lose it too hard at the finale lol
The ending was a bit jarring, but honestly… as I kept watching the episodes, they weren’t really keeping their same flair. They were different as it neared the end, and I know a lot of people liked how the later seasons were, but the main reason I stayed along until the end was emotional. It would feel wrong to just… leave it behind, and not give it a fair shot? Go down with the ship.
There has been a lot of good things to come from this community over the years, and plenty that is probably better to overlook. It’s been incredibly influential to so many people, and I hope that it continues to be that way. Some good things cut short, maybe. FiW: Horse Women was mentioned, RDP: Equestria Primates, Twilight’s Dollhouse II… But there has been so much to enjoy. I’m glad to have been a part of all this, even if I haven’t done a whole lot. It’s been fun.
Signing off,
  • Drear677
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Pony Arts & Prints!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide