Brony Takes His Own Life Due to Online Bullying

Poni-namous

@SeraphimDawn

Interesting that you should say that because it was looking deeper, looking beyond first impressions that eventually led me to this site, this community.

I’ll explain. Some years ago a great deal of pony related posts and spam began appearing all over the Internet. It seemed a day didn’t pass that some idea, concept, cartoon character would go by without being ponified. You know what I mean.

Well, my first immediate impression was this question: “Who are these idiots and why are they ruining everything with images from a kids show?”

I found it annoying that I couldn’t go to any of my favorite sites without finding some large hoofprint left all over the front page of that site.

Eventually my annoyance grew into anger, and my anger into a mild hatred of those who were doing this.

I went on like that for some time. Then, as I continued on, I would see traces of an alternative reality concerning the fandom. Curious, I dug deeper.  
It was then that I began finding some quite funny and enjoyable fan created videos and I began to realize that the ones creating these thoroughly enjoyable things didn’t seem like the ones who were pony spamming everything in sight.

I continued to explore and as did realization grew upon realization until, finally, it was clear to me that there were two distinct camps, although I was never able to conclude to my satisfaction if the two camps were part of the same fandom or separate and unrelated.

Long short I began watching episodes of the show and, much to my delight, I began to realize that the wonderful, positive principles and ideals of love and friendship that were openly displayed in the stories were an expression, albeit different, of those same principles and ideals of love and friendship that I’d held dear in my heart for many years.

Again, long short, I looked about the Internet, interacting with various Bronies I’d met along the way until recently I found myself on this site.

I’m glad I took the time to put aside the anger and mild hate and explore with an open mind what the reality of this community is all about and, frankly, I’m glad to be here.

I may not be a brony but, more and more, I’m most certainly a supporter.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
@Poni-namous  
Woah man!  
That is some cool Pony story you have there.  
Interesting you’ve turned from a hater directly into a fan.  
Yeah, I also was drawn in by the cute pastel ponies when I kept seeing them on sites I used to go to and on YouTube. I’ve been drawn in by the fandom’s talent and realized that I am also born on the year of the horse. It’s like some sort of destiny…
MadMachinist

@Poni-namous

@SeraphimDawn  
Poni, my hard hat goes out to you for sharing your history in happy, smiling, pastel cartoon horses. Despite how that makes it sound, it means a lot.And as for you, Mr. Jazzy Seraph, that seems like an unprecedentedly fortunate coincidence; one that I am more then happy to believe.

As for the subject at hand, I believe that our collective point has already been made: us bronies, the good ones, will honor Adam Smith’s life and family by doing what we have been doing since the inception of this fandom: loving, tolerating, making friends, and spreading happiness to the best of our ability. Although we will mourn the untimely and horrifically undeserving death of one of our own, we can perhaps console his demise… Somehow.
redweasel
Duck - "someone befriended them, saved them, coaxed them out of their shell, and showed them that sex is nothing to be afraid of. I’m kind of envious of that rape victim"

Fuzzbutt
what crosses the line is control. just control. nothing else.

they can say things that you don’t like, insult the very core of your being, and it won’t do shit if they can’t control you. people who say “see? nasty comments are hurtful!” make me angry, and very few people make me angry, because they’re trying to piggy back their petty egos on some poor kid’s psychological torture.

fact is I can say things about your mother, about your shit quality as an artist, about what a terrible person you are for liking things I do not like, and your suffering won’t be even comparable to this kid if  
  1. the teachers give you control by listening to you  
  2. I can’t force you to listen to me, taking control away from you  
  3. I can’t make your life a living hell, leaving you powerless and out of control  
  4. I can’t cut you off from friends and family, who help you control your future  
  5. I can’t cut you off from resources leaving you powerless and in my control

bullying starts when you can’t escape the bullying, when you lose control of your life because they just keep coming at you and won’t fucking leave you alone no matter what you do. if there’s nothing you can do to stop it, then you have lost control and are being bullied.. otherwise, you’re just protecting bullies. by pretending to be bullied while being a whiney me generation who could just walk away from the bullying, it makes people think bullying victims are just a bunch of whiners who could easily just walk out of their abusive situation. and that really does hurt bullying victims.

in fact, if you call someone a bully for saying something you don’t like, and you call the administrator to get them banned removing control from their account, controlling where they can post and who can hear them, and you expose their dirty secrets to teach them what happens to mean nasty bullies, secrets they no longer have control of, and when you control what they say to the point that they feel completely unable to say anything negative about you or others… well that makes you the bully, not the guy blowing his top at you.

so please let me insult you. I promise I do it with the greatest of love. <3
Q4k3vNru8QcxQV

Well, after reading this whole thread, I just gotta share, that i manage alot of pony related server/forums. I cant ever sleep because I’m always having to deal with trolls. Even the thoughts have gotten to me, but I was smart  
enough to ignore it, and move on with life.

Sad thing is most trolls know what they are doing, and will always have a solution to be able to annoy/ hurt someone…
MadMachinist

@TheDude1528  
Such is the power of words, my friend, and corresponding, the power of the Internet. There will be those who harm and those who heal. As bronies and decent people, it is our responsibility to be the ones who heal; the ones who trade insults and discrimination for encouragement and acceptance. In doing so, we spread harmony, the benefits of which go without saying. It’s really just as easy as being a nice person.
Background Pony #21F9
@SeraphimDawn
Yes it’s heartbreaking, when I heard what happened to Michael Morones I felt anger towards the bullies and the schools especially the teachers who not only accepted the bullying. But advocated it to “toughen” up the kids.

Some kids “toughen” up in a way they start to do school shootings. I hope it’s worth it for those teachers. rolleyes
Background Pony #21F9
@Background Pony #2D30
Obviously they haven’t “toughened up” if they resort to those measures.
When I say “toughen up”, I meant growing a spine. Not become some sort of pretentious “tough guy” who causes pain and suffering to innocent.

I was sarcastic and i blamed the teachers for their opinion and inaction.

Besides, growing a spine is easy to say if you’re alone. And as you said, the teachers didn’t help.
atalarikt
Artist -

EqG fan + Love Liver
@Background Pony #2D30  
There are a few people who grow a spine alone.  
Yeah, that’s pretty much arguable, since the chances of it happening towards really alone people are scarce. But I’ve seen it several times nevertheless.
Background Pony #21F9
@Background Pony #2D30
There are a few people who grow a spine alone.
Yeah, that’s pretty much arguable, since the chances of it happening towards really alone people are scarce. But I’ve seen it several times nevertheless.

Just being curious. What did they do? Beat up 5 people like Bruce Lee and they were out of trouble? Or calling the parents/cops?
Background Pony #9BE6
This is why you don’t watch MLP mlp cause all of the bullying MLP triggered the bully you could be a first victim to this
Background Pony #2111
@Background Pony #9BE6
I disagree, unless you are an absolute pessimist about it.
My way of handling avoiding bullying, is mainly being closet brony, don’t be too expressive, as it is too risky.
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide