Does anyone else think that the IDW comics...

Background Pony #62C0
I personally like the comics a great deal. I don’t know where you get the idea that the show isn’t Fanatsy/Action, its always been like that. We just don’t see it every episode.

I enjoy the ‘dark’ elements too. Since here it’s done well and not for the sake of, or to the extent it can be called ‘grimdark’. To elimante that idea, I have one name for you; Larry.

The mini-series character focus are great as well for the same reasons. Delicious character study.

As for the ‘fanon’ refrences. There are many, but placed in a way you wouldn’t notice if you weren’t looking, mostly background type jokes.

Even RDs character focus lacks the teo most popular memes attributed to her.
King Sombra
Thread Starter - Unpopular opinion time

Just to let you know again i don’t hate these comics. I really have a fun time reading them.  
I especially like the bit where they make shoutouts to older movies.  
This one:  
full  
This is some great stuff.  
But i still prefer the Show. If you like the Comics more, more power to you.
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Drinky_Butt
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

VIVA LA NOCTE
@Takuto_Shindou  
I don’t know how, but I reckon I should blame Cupcakes and Party of One for some of this. I think most of those people would dislike a bonafide adventure episode, with Twilight in a dark musty cave, stumbling around trying to find magic shields and scrolls and crap. Here’s a good barometer, ask them how many of them liked Dragon Quest, because that was a hell of a lot like the episode where Conan has to prove himself to those African-ish tribesmen.
Takuto_Shindou

@Niggoslav_Krawczyk  
Ugh, don’t remind me of Party of One, a cute episode about a cheerful character going depressive and needy because she thought she was not loved anymore transformed into a grimdark story of a mentally demented serial killer that slashed her friends and turned into Cupcakes, that’s why i sometimes wonder what the fuck these people think they are watching, because it’s certainly not MLP.
Rainbow Dash Retired
Wallet After Summer Sale -

@Takuto_Shindou  
As far as I know, Cupcakes was written before Party of One aired, so no, that wasn’t the inspiration for it.

Also, I hope you aren’t going to go nazi on anyone who enjoys grimdark, because sometimes I do. I know you like your sweet innocent ponies, but that’s not why I’m watching this show.
Takuto_Shindou

@Rainbow Dash  
I have no problem with it as long as both things are separated, i just don’t like when people claim fanfictions to be canon, many people still sees canon Pinkie as a murderer and that gets annoying sometimes.
Background Pony #62C0
@Takuto_Shindou  
I agree. Frankly that interpreations sickens me with rage. Especially nowZ it should be clear Pinke would be SELF destructife long before she ever came to close to considering harming her friends
gasmaskangel
Magical Inkwell - Wrote MLP fanfiction consisting of at least around 1.5k words, and has a verified link to the platform of their choice
Artist -
Since the Beginning  -

I look at it this way. The reason I started watching the show is because it has characters that I don’t want to strangle. I remember getting to around the mid point of season one and thinking “finally a writing team that understands that making complex and interesting characters doesn’t mean making everyone into a complete bastard!”

That said the whole slice of life thing doesn’t really appeal to me. I get why the show is primarily them, and I certainly won’t begrudge anyone the right to enjoy what they enjoy or the writers to write what they want to write, however the way my mind works is such that while I enjoy spending time with the characters I’m always looking for things that will make it more interesting to me hence why I enjoy the more adventure themed episodes and any episode where one of the characters just freaks the hell out for most of the run time,

So the comics are a breath of fresh air for me, it’s the characters I love doing things that I find interesting.

As for the whole question of canon, fanon, ect, I just follow the MST mantra.

Also, if I were to speculate on why Dragon Quest isn’t a very popular episode I would say its less to do with it being an adventure themed episode and more to do with it being a Spike episode.
Dr Outback
Cool Crow - "Caw!" An awesome tagger
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

@King Sombra
Heck, faith restored, i was starting to believe that people watch the show expecting for grimdark shit to happen, not because they enjoy a show for little kids.
Not necessarily talking about the comics, but there are really moments when it looks like people are just willing to change everything in the show other than enjoys what it has to offer, especially during season 3.
Back then, people enjoyed a simple and cute sleepover episode, now?“Oh, another boring slice of life episode.”

really? for me it was the opposite. When I was first watching the show I was thrown off from the pilot because I was expecting a magical girl adventure show. I fairly disappointed that it turned into the “day in the life of” type of show. the first few episodes starting from episode 3 I was hoping for it to go back to what episode 1 and 2 was like. near the middle point of the season I excepted for what it was.

@Takuto_Shindou  
@archestereo
Yeah unfortunally it is, it’s one of the reasons people hated the Crystal Empire, i’m not talking about finding it “Meh”, i’m talking about hating it with passion, because it wasn’t “dark enough”.

Makes me wonder what people your talking to because the most of the complaints was about Sombra.I actually heard people saying how dark The Crystal Empire was with the dark magic and Sombra exploding at the end. Also I think what my idea of grimdark is heavier than yours. For the record G1 has many dark moments in it.
Niggoslav_Krawczyk
Duck - Niggoslav_Kwaczyk
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
A Perfectly Normal Pony - Drinky_Butt

VIVA LA NOCTE
@Rainbow Dash  
It’s not inspiration for the original, but it did ‘inspire’ all the headfanon followups, and is the first ‘impression’ of sorts for new bronies. Also there’s all those fanimations based upon it, and the ‘manga,’ all of which use Straighthair. So yeah, the past year all new entrants receive straighthair Party of One ‘Pinkamena’ when they finally track down Cupcakes.

@Dr Outback  
@King Sombra
Heck, faith restored, i was starting to believe that people watch the show expecting for grimdark shit to happen, not because they enjoy a show for little kids.
Not necessarily talking about the comics, but there are really moments when it looks like people are just willing to change everything in the show other than enjoys what it has to offer, especially during season 3.
Back then, people enjoyed a simple and cute sleepover episode, now?“Oh, another boring slice of life episode.”
really? for me it was the opposite. When I was first watching the show I was thrown off from the pilot because I was expecting a magical girl adventure show. I fairly disappointed that it turned into the “day in the life of” type of show. the first few episodes starting from episode 3 I was hoping for it to go back to what episode 1 and 2 was like. near the middle point of the season I excepted for what it was.
@archestereo
Yeah unfortunally it is, it’s one of the reasons people hated the Crystal Empire, i’m not talking about finding it “Meh”, i’m talking about hating it with passion, because it wasn’t “dark enough”.
Makes me wonder what people your talking to because the most of the complaints was about Sombra.I actually heard people saying how dark The Crystal Empire was with the dark magic and Sombra exploding at the end. Also I think what my idea of grimdark is heavier than yours. For the record G1 has many dark moments in it.

Eh, the original was that way too. Tea party tea party tea party, TIREK. Tea party bake sale bake sale tea party GROGAR tea party ice cream war bake sale bake sale VOLCANO SACRIFICE

and yeah I always heard the opposite about Crystal Empire too. It’s like the show has kind of made some people mentally regress into their own childhood, and when the show isn’t all WAFFy light and fuzzy and tries to ‘be too complicated’ they go a bit apeshit
Takuto_Shindou

@Dr Outback  
I was kind of both in the beginning, i was expecting it to be a girly slice of life show and the pilot made me say “Holy shit that’s much better than expected”, but then my next episode was “Lesson Zero”(I missed the season in the time)and i laughed like i’d never expect to do, so i grew love for both styles instantly.

Also, i see the slice of life as what it makes the drama part work, you spend the season seeing the characters growing and becoming deeper in common situations, and then when a dramatic plot is coming up, you’re already in bonds with the characters, so that’s what it makes it work.  
The first pilot didn’t felt the same as the others because you didn’t saw too much of the characters going from colorful friends to heroes, the Canterlot Wedding is the best example of how the transition works well.
Dr Outback

@Takuto_Shindou  
I didn’t have the season 2 available to me when I started watching the show and I usually don’t jump around when I watch new shows. The episode I truly enjoyed was Feeling Pinkie Keen. The cool thing about the show is that it isn’t just shenanigans with friends. It’s shenanigans with friends in a fantasy setting. The show may not always have adventure in it but usually has action. Action involving all sorts of creatures and magic. I haven’t read the comics but from what I seen it takes takes the characters that we would know so well and put them into more adventurous situations that people would be curious about. People don’t want darker they want more of the world presented to them.

I would have to disagree with the pilot not showing the characters becoming heroes. We clearly saw their strengths in Pt 2. In Pt 1 we saw the characteristics that Twilight didn’t like in the other five. I just felt it was rushed a little. I might of been better if they moved Pt. 2 as the finale or at least later into the season.
Takuto_Shindou

@Dr Outback  
But we didn’t had an entire season of them building character, think about the old episodes of Fairly Oddparents, 90% of it’s just a comedy, but the first movie made it more dramatic, and that wouldn’t have work if they didn’t linked the characters so much with us with the slice of life episodes.
Dr Outback

@Takuto_Shindou  
I never said that the show shouldn’t have slice of life episodes. I was defending what made them different from other shows with similar storytelling. Also Fairly odd parents is different because it was a completely new IP. nobody really knew what to expect. to add it was presented as a comedy. FiM didn’t exactly present itself as how rest of season 1 turned out. Then again, the Pilot did set up the tone. The usual slice of life episode isn’t always lighthearted and comedic. there is usually a moment of craziness or peril
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Techy Cutie Pony Collection!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide