Down with Molestia

cb5
Thread Starter - The time wasting thread

Here’s a fucking obvious question. How about, rather than people going online and creating online petitions which never do anything and people complain about tumblr blogs, people instead trying to better the REAL world by creating charity drives to help your local victim’s shelter or such? If Pinkponie(or whatever their username is) really wanted to better the world then they should have created another charity drive to help real people that are victims of rape.

If pinkponie had instead of creating this stupid movement had instead created a movement towards helping those in need this would have actually benefited someone that needed it. It doesn’t matter if you donate clothes, food, time, or money to a victim’s shelter so long as you are helping them in real life. The people that go out every day and save a few dollars here and there or saves their old clothes for victims shelters deserve respect.

In short the reason why I don’t respect anyone that creates online petitions is your a lazy sucker who claims all the fame for things other people do.

#internet petitions are for lazy people #internet petitions don’t actually accomplish anything #internet petitions don’t help real world victims of rape #internet petitions are a joke and you’re a laughing stock if you think they’re not
Background Pony #C1FD
Don’t expect much from slacktivists who have ulterior motives from the start and a confirmed history of poor behaviour. Guessing the people who still follow the movement haven’t seen what she’s done before.
ender1200
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

@cb5

1. For pinkie pony this was never about social justice, but a way to get at the bronies that “stole her fandom”.

2. The patition wasn’t pinkie ponies idea. a certain brony musician logged it. He took it down when the people of /mlp/ of all places got some sense to his skull and he apologized.

3. people who joined DWM did this for a myriad of reasons. some wanted to have their opinions of the molestia meme and AMP blog heard, other where misguided and ignorant enough to believe that APM promote rape and should be censored. While I strongly oppose the second group and think that the whole idea to rally around a banner such as DWM is total idiocy the first group dose have the right to speak their mind.

4. most impotently, DWM is dead. anyone who had a speck of self awareness bailed out and at the very least agreed that they went too far. and the rest are just making fools of themselves in some dark corner of Tumblr. As for pinkie pony herself she have to live with who she is for the rest of her life, and that is not a fate i wish for anyone.
Background Pony #C1FD
It’s a shame that we lost several artists here on the booru because of all of this.
cb5

It was a matter of time until they dug their own graves. If it wasnt for this drama, then for another one in the near future.

Here! Here! Now taking bets on what is going to be the next drama bomb.

2 to 1 odds on the season 4 episode about scootaloo’s disability having a positive moral lesson aggravating the people who say the disabled shouldn’t be portrayed at all in media.  
4 to 1 odds on season 4 destroying some fanon.  
4 to 1 odds on season 4 confirming fanon.  
5 to 1 odds on season 4 hitting one of the mane 6 with the idiot stick  
7 to 1 odds on one of the mane 6 not getting as much air time as the others  
15 to 1 odds on one of the background ponies becoming a regular character and thus people get upset calling it “pandering”  
30 to 1 odds on equestria girls getting it’s own tv show
Background Pony #E484
@cb5  
Can we add odds about Rainbow Power being incorporated into the show, thus diminishing the value of the TV series since it is acting like a giant toy commercial, which technically it is but has done so in a manner much like Beast Wars where you cared about the characters and story more so than the actual product being pushed.
Carcer
Bronze Bit -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Carcer> "Officer, unless I threatened to **** him in the ass, I don't believe I could have reasonably expected him to stop using my website."
Since the Beginning  - Posted the very first image. Indexes start at zero!

Inexplicably in power
@cb5  
Here’s a simple answer.

Let’s say for instance that you work in a place that has really poor safety standards and as a result employees keep getting injured in accidents. Every time an employee gets injured, you can pay their medical bills, and that’s great for them. But they’ve have been better off if they’d never been injured at all, and paying their bills doesn’t do anything to prevent the future accidents that will most likely happen in this environment where they are prevalent. When there is a systematic problem, treating the symptoms as they occur can keep them under control, but in the long term it’s far more desirable (and efficient) to fix the problem that causes these symptoms in the first place - you petition (or demand or whatever) that the workplace improve its safety record and establish better working practices to prevent these accidents. From many ethical standpoints it’s arguable that this is even more important than helping the existing victims since in the long run it’ll prevent more harm, but let’s not get into that.

What “rape culture” effectively describes is an environment which is set up such that it is more conducive to rape and sexual assault than it should or could otherwise be. If you believe that this is the state of affairs, it makes perfect and logical sense that you should set about trying to change things to make the situation different, to try and achieve an environment where these things are less likely to happen. If you believe X causes Y, then you help reduce Y by also reducing X, rather than just dealing with Y as and when it happens (especially when you can’t really exert any influence over Y itself but you can more easily have an impact on X).

A lot of the people who set out to try and fight against the rape culture are unfortunately misguided, go after the wrong targets, use terrible strategies to try and achieve their goals and otherwise make a mess of it. The inherent idea of trying to change culture in order to reduce the likelihood of harm being caused (and mitigate the extent of the damage in many cases), however, is entirely legitimate. Please don’t attack on those grounds - the argument should be about whether or not the effort is necessary in this instance or aimed at the right targets. Also remember that you get to see only the tiniest snapshot of a person’s life in these arguments and you don’t really have any idea what else they do or don’t do to combat the problem at hand, and in any event that extra information doesn’t have any bearing on the validity of what they’re trying to do in that moment. An effort to improve something shouldn’t be ignored simply on the grounds that it’s the easiest option available to a person.
Psyga315
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Thread Starter - We Are Our Avatars
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

The Fallen Brony
@cb5  
It was a matter of time until they dug their own graves. If it wasnt for this drama, then for another one in the near future.
Here! Here! Now taking bets on what is going to be the next drama bomb.
2 to 1 odds on the season 4 episode about scootaloo’s disability having a positive moral lesson aggravating the people who say the disabled shouldn’t be portrayed at all in media.
2 to 1 odds on season 4 destroying some fanon.
3 to 1 odds on season 4 confirming fanon.
2 to 1 odds on season 4 hitting one of the mane 6 with the idiot stick
6 to 1 odds on one of the mane 6 not getting as much air time as the others
30 to 1 odds on one of the background ponies becoming a regular character and thus people get upset calling it “pandering”
15 to 1 odds on equestria girls getting it’s own tv show

Fixed the odds for you
SocDev
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <SocDev> Si hay pelito, no hay delito
Artist -

Well stressed, friend!
@Carcer

I agree, tho if we use the same idea you exposed, then the whole DWM thingy could be compared to trying to reduce the rate in which employees get injured IN THE JANITOR’s CLOSET.
Number1pegasus
Thread Starter -  Waifu Thread

The Element of laughter
@Carcer  
full  
You kind of have the same point of view on this situation as me, I can totally agree with what your saying it’s basically one of those situations where their heart’s in the right place but their just doing it completely wrong, is that right?
cb5

@Carcer  
Actually there was a advertising campaign in britain that was successful in bringing down rape cases. I was reading about it in the bbc and such, but you know what they did differently with the advertising campaign? Instead the whole campaign in a nutshell was, “don’t rape” instead of “don’t get raped”. The problem is that we as a society instead of targeting the perpetrator of a crime we target victims. Like we say, “Don’t get murdered” instead of “Don’t murder”. We say, “Don’t get raped” instead of “Don’t rape”. We say, “Don’t get a std” instead of “Don’t give stds to others”. We say, “Don’t get hit by your spouse” instead of “Don’t hit your spouse”.

The list goes on and on and on; and to put it simply I don’t think there will ever be massive reductions in what’s wrong with the world if we as a society continue to shame victims of crimes rather than actually tell people to not commit them.

There’s even states in the usa where rape of men is not recognized as a crime, or rape by a person of the same sex is not recognized as a crime.

The best thing anyone can really do is that when it comes to rape and you are a role model for the next generation reaching adulthood, be it your siblings/children/etc, is to teach them why raping other is wrong and to teach them that just cause someone let you take them home doesn’t mean they let you take them and such.

The thing every parent/role model/person that takes care of the next generation reaching adulthood needs to realize is that morality is not innate and while it seems fucking obvious to you that raping others is wrong that it’s your job as a role model/parent or whatever to teach that to the next generation rather than assume they will have those morals instilled in them by default.
Carcer
Bronze Bit -
Happy Derpy! -
A Perfectly Normal Pony - <Carcer> "Officer, unless I threatened to **** him in the ass, I don't believe I could have reasonably expected him to stop using my website."
Since the Beginning  - Posted the very first image. Indexes start at zero!

Inexplicably in power
@Number1pegasus  
Essentially. The problem with a lot of social justice movements is that they get immediately indignantly angry and directly attack people who aren’t unequivocally on their side, thus antagonising them and basically ensuring that they go immediately to the opposite side and stay there. Nobody likes to be presented with an “us-or-them” situation and pelted with insults - they’ll tend to stick to the side that isn’t already calling them names over it.

It is understandable to be angry over important issues and probably unavoidable for many people, but when your objective is to go up to people and try and convince them that you are correct and something needs to be done about a situation, especially when you’re in the minority, anger doesn’t help. If you want to actually change people’s minds, insulting them directly isn’t the way to do it. You have to stay calm and try and win them over.

I personally get very angry about a number of issues, but when it comes to the time to try and sway people to my point of view, I don’t let that anger dictate how I behave and I try to debate and reason rationally. I could probably be much more popular with the vocal parts of the causes I argue for if I did go on angry rants and yell at people a lot, but while that might be great for my ego, it’s absolutely detrimental to the actual cause itself.

@cb5  
A big part of what the common idea of rape culture is is that we shame the victims of rape and focus our efforts on telling them not to get raped in various ways rather than targeting the people committing the crimes in the first place. Explicitly telling people not to rape rather than focusing all your efforts on telling people not to be raped is the sort of change that most activists opposing the rape culture want to see, and generally they’re trying to make changes that stop society shaming the victims and make society more overtly against people committing rape. Sometimes their efforts are misguided and they rail against the wrong targets but in general that’s what they’re trying to do.
Background Pony #C1FD
This movement and all involved are completely discredited as far as I’m concerned.
Background Pony #C1FD
@Carcer  
I often see rage expressed towards perpetrators of rape and judges who are soft on them. I’ve never seen anyone who has ever seriously believed the act acceptable, nor who believed that they shouldn’t be prosecuted to the absolute maximum possible degree. When you’ve got people calling for castration of perpetrators, it says something about how mych people accept them.
Number1pegasus
Thread Starter -  Waifu Thread

The Element of laughter
@Carcer  
I agree, I’m gonna try and start doing the same myself for now on, I don’t like being in those situations either and getting upset about it and acting like a complete snob is not gonna help no one not even myself, but in any case you speak the truth and I hope more people could and will understand that but I guess that’s why no one perfect right?

Like for instant’s to me I find all this drama to be pointless but at the same time I can see what their going for, so instead of being the normal “Lol your an idiot” guy it’s better to be the “I understand but I don’t think this is the way to do it” guy which interns make’s you not look like a jerk at the same time, do you undertand what I’m getting at or am I off a bit?
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
KilianKuro Commissions!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide