Everfree Forest - speculation

McClaw

Griffon at large
I’m going to offer up my opinion on what the Everfree Forest is and what the ponies are doing about it.

IMO, the Everfree exists because the fight to imprison Nightmare Moon had devastating side-effects. The battle was at the Palace of the Royal Pony Sisters, and the surrounding area was somehow made unsafe for ponies. Evacuated and abandoned (with Celestia transferring to Canterlot), it was left unattended. Between nature and magic, it overgrew and spawned all those creatures and problems. Over the centuries, Celestia sponsored what ponies she could to try and reclaim bits of the Everfree, such as Sweet Apple Acres and Ponyville.

This means the Everfree is a small example of what Equestria would be like if the ponies weren’t managing it. There should also be the remnants of buildings, roads, and other unmovable or forgotten things scattered about, assuming they could survive 1,000 years. And with Luna restored, the Royal Sisters have the capacity to make more than an opportunistic effort to reclaim the area.

Thoughts? Counter-arguments?
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Pixel Perfection - Hot Pockets Spotted
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.
Not a Llama - Happy April Fools Day!
Magnificent Metadata Maniac - #1 Assistant

Pomegranates :P
And the Timberwolves are golem-like creatures created as a result of the residal effect of certain animation magic frequently used in the battle, which was leaked into the environment.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2019) - Celebrated Derpibooru's seventh year anniversary with friends
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

@McClaw  
You’re implying Ponyville was once a large section of the Everfree?

I think the weather also goes through a natural cycle in Equestria and maybe the lands beyond. Its just that certain creatures like the Pegasi are able to manipulate it to a certain extent.

The Everfree also reminds me of the Wilderness in Runescape.
Thunder Hoof

Back In The Saddle Again
@McClaw  
full  
That is a brilliant theory to many questions I’ve had about the Everfree forest for the longest time. I hadn’t thought of it before myself… very interesting, McClaw. Good job. thumbs up  
I am very intrigued by everything about that mysterious and foreboding place, there’s just so much that is unknown. I myself would love to learn more about it and uncover the mysteries surrounding the Everfree, “the things ponies weren’t meant to know”. o.o

SeraphimDawn has quite a good theory on the Timberwolves to go along with this as well. Kudos.

Until then, I am in strong agreement with Nightweaver as well.  
HEADCANON ACCEPTED  
Carry on with this much interesting topic, everyone. ^^
Fallen Nightingale
The End wasn't The End - Found a new home after the great exodus of 2012

Amateur Lurker
If anything, I’ve always associated Everfree Forest with Mad Forest due to them both being monster-infested forests…and moreso due to me being a large Castlevania nut. >.>  
I wonder if the more vicious beasties will pop out at night?
Wafflecannon

That’s a pretty solid headcanon there, OP.  
So, basically all the creatures in the Everfree have the spellwarped template applied to them.
McClaw

Griffon at large
@SeraphimDawn  
“Large” section, probably not. I’d think that Ponyville (settled about 100 years ago) is one of several “nibbles” working inward from what was originally a large, circular forest. Even after 1,000 years, not much has been reclaimed.

But old roads have survived as paths. An old well or basement became the Mirror Pool. Etc, etc.
ЅℰℒᎯℙℋℐℰℒ

Who here thinks the Frozen North, surrounding the Crystal Empire, is a wilderness devoid of ponies and works with a similar set of rules as the Everfree. If so, what creatures and hazard lurk there?

Sabre-tooth Tigers  
Mammoths  
Snow Bunnies  
Snow Wolves  
Musk Oxes (Northern “Eskimo” equivalent of the Buffalo Tribes of the south.)  
Bears
Cromanti Cheer

In addition to the whole “site of the battle between Celestia and NMM” theory (which, like the other posters, I really like), I remember reading one fanfic where Zecora told the ponies that she needed to be back to the Everfree Forest by night. Which got me thinking: why would she live in a hut in Everfree Forest? Is she acting as a living seal for the chaotic magic in Everfree or some horrible creature?

Or she could simply prefer the forest because it reminds her of home country. But simple explanations are the most boring.

@SeraphimDawn  
I really hope there’s some more “traveling to exotic locales” in S4. Those tend to be some of my favorite episodes.
Trickquestion

Bit off topic, but I think that the costal regions and ocean are treated a lot like the Everfree Forest. My rational is that the Pegasus control the weather through manipulating the clouds. But by the ocean, a lot of the weather is influenced by the sea, which they can’t directly control. For them, the ocean is like the Everfeee: weather just comes out of it and they have to deal with it.
Randomosaur
Duck - Like the movies Birds, but with just ducks. Ducks everywhere.
Thread Starter - Person Above You

@SeraphimDawn  
Send your idea to the writers.

And yetis. Don’t forget yetis.

Anyways, in my headcanon, the Everfree Forest is also home to prehistoric animals, but they are a lot rarer. Here is some fanart I found of a tyrannosaur in the MLP art style.  
full
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
The Travelling Pony Museum Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide