IDW Comics - Story Discussion (Spoilers)

TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

House of the Arcana
@Wiimeiser  
Well that, but I was hoping they were ponies. But turns out they were never part of the legend and yet apparently the sixth tree while the previous ones were forgotten. So in a way, we associate Harmony with ponies than these mooks. Speaking of which, these guys definitely embrace harmony like order and power, Cozy would be proud.
TheQuietMan
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
Preenhub - We all know what you were up to this evening~

House of the Arcana
First I’ll surmise my expectations that became letdowns, yes that’s all of them.

-Grogar is still not real and did not summon the grootslang, it was roaming free.  
-The Knights of Harmony aren’t ponies. It would make the arc more dramatic since Twilight would’ve thought she was fighting the wrong cause.  
-The Equestrian elements of Harmony aren’t even in the legend nor mythos. Turns out the sixth tree was pure coincidence that overshadowed something never even heard of to begin with. The story could’ve worked even without ponies at all. Like an original story than a mlp story.  
-Rushed arcs. We now get to see other lands. Unfortunately, we don’t get to learn more about them. How did King Meowmeow rise to power if he wasn’t worthy to the throne? Why is Orithia so much like Griffonstone in terms of society? Why did Celaeno not tell them earlier? What the heck is Cunabula?! And how does this tie into G5?  
-Underutilisation of characters, it really affected Spitfire, Lyra and Bon Bon especially regarding the latter two’s role as background ponies and known by fans for the spy jokes that at least Gameloft cared enough about.

Anyway, I’ll at least give them this, it’s still better than Season 9 since the twist was planned and not a last minute decision that will end being the worst writing decision no matter how you look at it. Whitley did apparently promise us something good but due to the pandemic and corporate interference that seem really obsessed with G5’s potential that he cut many short. Last minute decisions are different from planned decisions, cause regarding the latter, did it not occur to Jim Miller that it could go a better way? And he probably had extra time to reconsider. Of course, maybe Hasbro would have not greenlit Grogar being real whatever their reason is but still.

Despite my disappointment, its still not bad compared to Ending of the End and therefore I do look forward to how it ends, again.
Background Pony #F850
@Phoenixflambe  
I definitely can imagine that if the pandemic didn’t happen, we’d still see a rushed comic, though it would be at least extended somewhat.

Also, in all honestly, i think that the Knights of Harmony not being ponies is somewhat bad, but at least they weren’t the G1 ponies, that would’ve been way worse.
Background Pony #5648
First I’ll surmise my expectations that became letdowns, yes that’s all of them.
-Grogar is still not real and did not summon the grootslang, it was roaming free.
-The Knights of Harmony aren’t ponies. It would make the arc more dramatic since Twilight would’ve thought she was fighting the wrong cause.
-The Equestrian elements of Harmony aren’t even in the legend nor mythos. Turns out the sixth tree was pure coincidence that overshadowed something never even heard of to begin with. The story could’ve worked even without ponies at all. Like an original story than a mlp story.
-Rushed arcs. We now get to see other lands. Unfortunately, we don’t get to learn more about them. How did King Meowmeow rise to power if he wasn’t worthy to the throne? Why is Orithia so much like Griffonstone in terms of society? Why did Celaeno not tell them earlier? What the heck is Cunabula?! And how does this tie into G5?
-Underutilisation of characters, it really affected Spitfire, Lyra and Bon Bon especially regarding the latter two’s role as background ponies and known by fans for the spy jokes that at least Gameloft cared enough about.
Anyway, I’ll at least give them this, it’s still better than Season 9 since the twist was planned and not a last minute decision that will end being the worst writing decision no matter how you look at it. Whitley did apparently promise us something good but due to the pandemic and corporate interference that seem really obsessed with G5’s potential that he cut many short. Last minute decisions are different from planned decisions, cause regarding the latter, did it not occur to Jim Miller that it could go a better way? And he probably had extra time to reconsider. Of course, maybe Hasbro would have not greenlit Grogar being real whatever their reason is but still.
Despite my disappointment, its still not bad compared to Ending of the End and therefore I do look forward to how it ends, again.

That’s true, but that’s what happens when you do not know your limits and do not respect the rules that were there for a good reason, as seen around many fanfiction writers, Whitley stretched himself so far, that he ended up with a broken work which should not have been launched. But at least he tried to stick to his script rather than get it broken, reorganized and half-heartedly produced as seen at the end of S9 when “Ending of the End” was aired.

The Grogar twist was one of the biggest disappointments in all of MLP history. Hasbro approved Whitley’s work because the whole case of the five “harmony trees” was actually fraud, which did not work properly, as Silverquill discovered in his review. All the kingdoms that had these “element trees”, even when these were activated, did not seem to live up to what these were meant for, and when Zecora found the Tree of History, she met a miniature of herself.

This indicates that the Harmony is involved, and that “she” took and corrected these failed trees. Whitley will probably let the Harmony spread to the whole world - with the ponies. It was possibly his final triumph as a writer for G4.
Background Pony #5648
Have now understood the plot. This should never have been accepted in the first place, and it ruined the joy of Season 10. There is a suitable word for the whole thing; a mess. I feel guilty for the artists who had to work on these comics.

Insane “knights” who did not understand why their noble intentions went wrong, unacceptable transgressions such as stealing magic from the abyssinians, malfunctioning element magic that makes one want to prevent this by all means - basically it is a meaningless tragedy where “knights “must be healed and then punished if the diamond dogs, abyssinians and other people should demand it and if Twilight can not let them keep their bond with the elements.

This is a plot we do not need.
Wiimeiser
Roseluck - Had their OC in the 2023 Derpibooru Collab.
Elements of Harmony - Had an OC in the 2022 Community Collab
Twinkling Balloon - Took part in the 2021 community collab.
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2020) - Took part in the 2020 Community Collab
Dream Come True! - Participated in the MLP 9th Anniversary Event
A Tale For The Ages - Celebrated MLP's 35th Anniversary and FiM's 8th Anniversary
An Artist Who Rocks - 100+ images under their artist tag

(Foil Hat)
Should have been humans. Actual humans. Not EQG humans. Pretty sure that goes against branding regulations, though.

@WyrmSpawN  
MLP IDW seems to be the worst case of seasonal rot ever. Their first was their best, which is something you really don’t want to have happen.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
S10 was the result of IDW being IDW and ruining good, promising ideas by making it some big and epic storyline. Everyone wanted to see Zecora’s homeland, I don’t know anyone who wanted some shitty “multiple Tree of Harmony with literally everyone else” story
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

MLP IDW seems to be the worst case of seasonal rot ever. Their first was their best, which is something you really don’t want to have happen.

Preeeeetty much. You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who said anything past the first, like, four stories were the best.

@Kiryu-Chan  
I don’t think I want to know the answer to “did anyone greenlight the Diamond Dogs and their designs, or did the writers/artists have unlimited control.”

I mean, for the recent ones, mind controlling villains, again? Shining Armor losing to anti-magic, then getting brainwashed, again? A regular collar affecting the likes of Discord in the cats one? We never got a reason they couldn’t destroy the walls or door to get to the Tree, that King, in all the time he had control? We didn’t get a reason why explosives wouldn’t work.

They rehashed the same plot like three times, and the only one that went kinda different was the one before this, which is probably a case of too little, too late. I can’t commit the names of any of those Diamond Dogs to memory, for instance, no matter how many times I saw them, because they were all so forgettable.

Anyone who thought S10 would fix any perceived failings of S9 were foolishly optimistic.
Kiryu-Chan
Non-Fungible Trixie -

World's Okayest User
Preeeeetty much. You’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who said anything past the first, like, four stories were the best.

Comics suffered from similar problems to the main show, namely a lot of the smaller, simple stories were relatively fun reads, but the writers would always prioritize big and epic arcs, most of which are very poorly told
AC97
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -

@Phoenixflambe  
Did it though? It’s not even over yet.

I’m fully expecting these guys to somehow defeat Discord (who to be frank could easily beat all of them via divide and conquer, when he has initiative), Cadance, and Star Swirl without that much effort, if they didn’t do it offscreen by now, and they’ll all get bailed out by the other Element sets, or something along that nature.

These antagonists are generic enough that I don’t remember any of their names right now, and they only have one more issue in the entire series to make me care, which is a problem in that I already couldn’t care less about those other Element Bearers as characters from the issues they came into play.

I would’ve remembered Sombra if his S3 appearance was his only use in the entire franchise. I’m not sure I’ll be able to say the same here.

I’d be hard-pressed to remember any one of these as of now. I couldn’t care less if they’re redeemed or not.

What we’re probably about to get is an exposition dump with them saying something like “we watched Harmony lead kingdoms to ruin because of X reason, so we sabotaged/made sure it couldn’t happen again, and didn’t make any successful efforts to weed out the Trees over a thousand years because reasons,” and if words/empathy can’t reach them, then them going “the ends justify the means,” only to be defeated because their harmony is tainted and/or weaker than their combined harmony.

The problem here is, the comics took an issue the show had up to eleven, and that’s the oversaturation of characters, and it’s compounded by them not being developed properly. They’re almost all reducible to one or two traits
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
My Little Ties crafts shop

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide