MLP G5 Discussion and Speculation Thread

Background Pony #8D1B
@Famekki
I’m afraid I just don’t see the evidence for that.
Especially since she’s a ‘fire pony’ or some such nonsense.
How exactly is fire pony a nonsense? Can’t there be be such race in Equestria? Did Lauren say that there could never be a fire pony race? Did the G4 or G5 staff say something? You just don’t like the idea for some reason. But then hippogriffs should be nonsense too. The same should apply to crystal ponies. A pony made of crystal? This is bs.
Posted Report
DerpyFast
Solar Supporter - Fought against the New Lunar Republic rebellion on the side of the Solar Deity (April Fools 2023).
Non-Fungible Trixie -
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -
Friendship, Art, and Magic (2018) - Celebrated Derpibooru's six year anniversary with friends.

I did a bit of research on what opaline is, and a few things jumped out at me:
  • opaline is an artificial crystal
  • it’s a “stone of love”
  • it’s prismatic
Make of this what you will.
Posted Report
Vortaxonus

@Dustcan
I suppose if the umbrum is a thing we’re working with they could also be a factor in why opaline is evil, though from the looks of it opaline’s home base is far away from the crystal empire.
Posted Report
CloudMistDragon
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
Artist -

Misty Shadow
  • it’s a “stone of love”
  • it’s prismatic
Fantastic catch. I’d be more surprised at this point if Opaline turned out to not have a connection to the Crystal Ponies.
Posted Report
Background Pony #7852
  • it’s a “stone of love”
  • it’s prismatic
Fantastic catch. I’d be more surprised at this point if Opaline turned out to not have a connection to the Crystal Ponies.
This finding shows that all references that can be used as a basis for future G5 episodes and the upcoming lore can be found in the movie, which should be studied in detail to find out more. It was in TYT that Opaline’s cutie mark is revealed, and it demonstrates that she may have had an important role in the post-G4 era as she is connected to the Crystal Empire, and that Argyle had researched her in his time.
Opaline was first interpreted as a corrupt Fluffy Heart, partly because the setting in C1 seemed to be taken from the Crystal Empire. But in the IDW comics and later in TYT and MYM it was revealed that she is an original pony who may have been a unicorn.
The heart around her cutie mark suggests that Opaline may be reformed during G5. But this also means that she is corrupt - or pre-corrupt in her magic. And since typical signs of magical corruption are not seen on her, that means she is in a pre-corruption state. So Opaline may one day completely lose it like Luna and Stygian, and let the corruption overtake her. It will possibly happen in S2 or S3, and maybe for the final showdown with Sunny for the right to take over Equestria after Twilight Sparkle. In her remarks from the end of C2, it’s clear that Opaline intended to surpass Twilight.
At least we know that Opaline will lose. But as in the manga “One Punch Man” when Saitama and Garo fought, the corrupt Opaline can become as terrifying and strong as the “Awakened Garou”, so Sunny must bring out all her powers and get all the help from her friends. It will make the victory more complete, and could “finish” G5 if things go badly for Hasbro.
The connection with the Crystal ponies - her home base was probably her prison - brings up the Sombra theory, if she is in cahoots with the evil king. All indications are that she was young when she first appeared, and her accent could suggest that she had spent a lot of time in Canterlot. It is possible that she could be Sombra’s daughter with Radiant Hope as her mother. Twilight and her friends may have accepted Opaline into their company at first.
The last time Sombra was seen was when he was taken away from Cybertron in a magical cage, as the transformers and the ponies know they couldn’t just kill him for fear that he will return. He has a rather annoying habit of returning from the dead. Possibly because he is an umbrum as described in the IDW comics. Twilight may have tried to reform him, only to realize that the proud and arrogant king will never allow himself to be reformed. So he could have been sent to Tartarus.
If Opaline is Sombra’s daughter or descendant who will free Sombra, that could explain why Hologram-Twilight made warnings that the fire alicorn is going to open “something”. It may be the gate to Tartarus which may also have housed the hordes of monsters Grogar had created. Because not a single monster has been seen so far in G5.
I think the first clash between Opaline and Sunny will be over control of magic and Equestria, when the ponies learn the truth about the alicorns. The second clash could be when Opaline tries to free Sombra only to be stopped for good by the Mane 5/New Mane 6. The third clash could be the last, when the corrupted Opaline and Sunny (who can enter the Luna mode as implied in TYT with the blanket) fight all-out with each other over the Ponykind’s future.
But the movie shows that Opaline can be reformed and join Sunny as a friend with a new cutie mark, and Misty can get back the mother she probably never had. Because it is possible that a much greater threat exists; Grogar’s bell is more prominent than the image of the cutie mark found in a drawing. Perhaps Opaline had more than just lust for power and possible kinship with Sombra as her motives for taking all magic and becoming sole ruler of Equestria.
Posted Report
Background Pony #7852
The TYT Opaline is so different from the MYM Opaline, that it cannot just be the result of a lack of cooperation between the teams. It is possible that the TYT Opaline is the reformed Opaline in MYM that we will see, with her cutie mark in a crystal heart, and with a straight horn - just like on the “good” Sombra from the IDW comics. The horn on Sombra seemed to be a result of his background as an umbrum pony, and it is possible that Opaline has much of her blood from the umbrum tribe, which may have given her special characteristics.
We don’t know what kind of magical abilities the Umbrum has, which even the changelings were very afraid of. We know very little about these shadow ponies, and they were mentioned long before Stygian as the Shadow Pony appeared. It is possible that the Stygian was not an ordinary pony when he let the corruption overtake him, because there are many indications that the Shadow Pony was created within him rather than from the outside. Stygian indirectly admitted it. And from the IDW comics it has been seen that the shadow ponies and magical corruption seemed to go together.
The Shadow Pony has the same horn design as Sombra and MYM Opaline. We also know about the eastern ponies represented by Mistmane, but these are quite separated from the three ponies mentioned. There is a theory that I have now, that Stygian, Sombra and Opaline all descend from the Umbrum tribe. That may have made them more vulnerable to magical corruption than the other ponies. Still, Stygian was perhaps the only one completely taken over, while Sombra was a step below, and Opaline being an alicorn couldn’t be corrupted as easily as the others.
So the corrupt Opaline at the end can become terrifying for the viewers when the final showdown between her and Sunny will take place. Interesting. Not only will we learn about the alicorns - the possible link between Opaline and Sombra could provide valuable insight into the most mysterious of all pony tribes.
Posted Report
Background Pony #7852
Looks like the KISS curse from the C2 continues in the C3. KISS is “Keep it simple, stupid” - and unfortunately this was very problematic in several episodes in C2, sometimes on par with what was seen in parts of G1.
But the last trailer was very interesting. We know from G4 that unicorn magic is based on concentration of thought power, almost psychic in nature. Izzy, who was not always in control of her magic, was able to bring the Mare Stream under control because she was extra motivated, with her friends believing in her. And this may have revealed what the lantern is, the Prisbeam magic is obviously pony magic generated from the Mane 5. Unknowingly, Izzy had created a magic engine based on magic from her and her friends. So when Izzy channels her magic - it’s amplified by the Prisbeam lantern. She took control of the vessel with the help of the lantern and was able to guide it blindly to the landing site. And the best thing is that this happened according to Yoda’s method.
Have looked a little closer at the Mare Stream, the wing configuration is quite primitive, Zipp controls it with the help of wing warping just like on the first planes in the time before 1914 in our world. She twists her wings to maneuver the Mare Stream, this is partly taken from her studies of wings on the pegasi and birds. In G4 it is seen that the ponies also do not know about ailerons on wings - and this continues in the G5. But this technology seems to be more mature than in our world, in older times the control was on the outside with the help of a system of pulleys and cables, on the Mare Stream it happens on the inside.
They don’t need engines - the Mare Stream is the engine by being integrated with the magic of the Prisbeam lantern.
Posted Report
Background Pony #7852
@Background Pony #7852
If TYT Opaline is reformed MYM Opaline, then why is TYT Opaline still obsessed with getting Sparky?
It’s just about the appearance. She hasn’t gotten the heart in her cutie mark yet, so she’s still evil. But the TYT Opaline can become the reformed MYM Opaline. Of course, only after being corrupted and defeated, to heal and become a good pony.
Posted Report
GoodVibesGorgeous
Lunar Supporter - Helped forge New Lunar Republic's freedom in the face of the Solar Empire's oppressive tyrannical regime (April Fools 2023).
My Little Pony - 1992 Edition
Wallet After Summer Sale -

Grumpy and antisocial
I noticed something interesting: Unlike G4, whose songs were dubbed in most versions, TYT’s non-English versions only dub songs when they are sung on-screen. When they are sung off-screen, they are kept in English. It wasn’t a decision made from the start, as Clip Trot’s songs were apparently dubbed into every language the series is dubbed into. And it became more common in those non-English versions to keep the English cast’s screams, laughs and grunts (in G4, it only happened in some versions).
Posted Report
Interested in advertising on Derpibooru? Click here for information!
Sky Railroad Merch Shop!

Help fund the $15 daily operational cost of Derpibooru - support us financially!

Syntax quick reference: **bold** *italic* ||hide text|| `code` __underline__ ~~strike~~ ^sup^ %sub%

Detailed syntax guide